P1000m5 Fuel storage ideas

J

JTW

Has anyone tried putting an additional tank under the drivers side seat?

I'm thinking a fuel cell like on a race car?
That crossed my mind the other day when we were taking about this.. that would be a cool idea if you don't need it for battery or storage!

Reactions: JLH
JLH

JLH

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2016
Sheridan, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That crossed my mind the other day when we were taking about this.. that would be a cool idea if you don't need it for battery or storage!
I've thought about it quite a bit but I can't wrap my head around how to plumb it so it would fill and feed back to the stock tank. Any suggestions?

J

JTW

I've thought about it quite a bit but I can't wrap my head around how to plumb it so it would fill and feed back to the stock tank. Any suggestions?
I would just just go this route and manually switch it just like reserve on a 4 wheeler but instead of reserve being in the same tank.. it feeds from an auxiliary tank.. same as trucks or boats or whatever. IMG 3188

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would just just go this route and manually switch it just like reserve on a 4 wheeler but instead of reserve being in the same tank.. it feeds from an auxiliary tank.. same as trucks or boats or whatever. View attachment 39129
Is there not a fuel pump in the oem tank? Msybe someting you might have to look into?

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk

J

JTW

Is there not a fuel pump in the oem tank? Msybe someting you might have to look into?

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk
I didn't even consider if the fuel pump was in the tank. I guess.. You could always hook another pump up to the aux tank and then fill the primary or someone else's rig that way. Basically your own little mobile filling station.

Reactions: popeye
JLH

JLH

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2016
Sheridan, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I would just just go this route and manually switch it just like reserve on a 4 wheeler but instead of reserve being in the same tank.. it feeds from an auxiliary tank.. same as trucks or boats or whatever. View attachment 39129
My thoughts were to run two hoses between both tanks, one low and one high. The bottom hose would have a check valve so gas couldn't flow from the main to the aux. The upper hose would be large enough to allow the "overflow" from the main tank to fill the aux tank. The reason for the check valve on the lower hose would be to prevent all the gas from running to the drivers side, allowing the engine to run out of gas, ifyou were on an incline. If I'm thinking right, with that set up, your gas gauge would still work correctly. I'm just not sure how I would attach the two hoses to the main tank.

J

JTW

My thoughts were to run two hoses between both tanks, one low and one high. The bottom hose would have a check valve so gas couldn't flow from the main to the aux. The upper hose would be large enough to allow the "overflow" from the main tank to fill the aux tank. The reason for the check valve on the lower hose would be to prevent all the gas from running to the drivers side, allowing the engine to run out of gas, ifyou were on an incline. If I'm thinking right, with that set up, your gas gauge would still work correctly. I'm just not sure how I would attach the two hoses to the main tank.
I see no reason that wouldn't work.. @CumminsPusher would be the one to answer that. I would think you could just drill it and thread your sized barbs into the top and bottom.. then use some sort of an epoxy around the barb and tank to insure no leaks.

J

JTW

If it were me.. I'd still want some sort of a petcock to the auxiliary tank. So that it could act as an emergency reserve. It could be behind the check valve on the lower hose and mounted at driver calf level. You could make it look factory with something like this.
IMG 3204

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I don't see a problem with that. One thing that might be an issue is the check valve could be effected by different pressures in the tanks so that's a consideration. The plastics used in gas tanks is very slick and can sometimes leach the gas inside through the plastic a bit so it is a little difficult finding an epoxy that sticks initially and possibly down the road. I believe they'd probably a plastic tank repair, I know they do for radiator overflows and possibly that may work.
The tank is too thin obviously to tap and I'd hate a leak here. Kind of an interesting idea to be honest and feel it's doable. You've got enough thought into everything it almost sounds done lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Deer-hunter and JTW
advertisement
L

Logan

Feb 7, 2016
Canada
I think you would be pretty hard pressed to get a useful tank under the seat. Considering it's a squeeze to fit a battery box in there.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

I think you would be pretty hard pressed to get a useful tank under the seat. Considering it's a squeeze to fit a battery box in there.

Probably 5-6 gallons..

JLH

JLH

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2016
Sheridan, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I don't see a problem with that. One thing that might be an issue is the check valve could be effected by different pressures in the tanks so that's a consideration. The plastics used in gas tanks is very slick and can sometimes leach the gas inside through the plastic a bit so it is a little difficult finding an epoxy that sticks initially and possibly down the road. I believe they'd probably a plastic tank repair, I know they do for radiator overflows and possibly that may work.
The tank is too thin obviously to tap and I'd hate a leak here. Kind of an interesting idea to be honest and feel it's doable. You've got enough thought into everything it almost sounds done lol

Would the tanks have different pressures if they were tied together thru the top filler hose? I would think it would be equalized? My concern is the stock tank. im concerned about vibration causing the stock tank tap to possible leak on down the road. Something like this tank would be what I would consider, haven't put a tape to the space under the seat but this should be close.

Unfortunately, I have more time to think about these things than the money to do it. Lol

Reactions: JTW and popeye
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No you're right with a common feed they would stay equal.

Could just install and plumb a pump to pump from aux to main tank when needed? It's probably not a project for me, might only need it 2-3 times a year, but 3-4 gals might be REALLY nice those three times. I keep plenty in surecans in truck or have a reserve at house since it's a 40min round trip to the nearest gas station.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Could just install and plumb a pump to pump from aux to main tank when needed? It's probably not a project for me, might only need it 2-3 times a year, but 3-4 gals might be REALLY nice those three times. I keep plenty in surecans in truck or have a reserve at house since it's a 40min round trip to the nearest gas station.

Honestly it's not something I'd use a ton myself but I do like outside the box thinking and people coming up with good ideas. When ideas for a solution to someone's needs are designed I get excited. I'm sure there are a few that constantly would need extra fuel capacity (our friends up north being some) so if this were to get done it would benefit a few. I say kudos to the idea it's sure nice having a dual tank pickup every so often!

Reactions: JLH and ohanacreek
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly it's not something I'd use a ton myself but I do like outside the box thinking and people coming up with good ideas. When ideas for a solution to someone's needs are designed I get excited. I'm sure there are a few that constantly would need extra fuel capacity (our friends up north being some) so if this were to get done it would benefit a few. I say kudos to the idea it's sure nice having a dual tank pickup every so often!

Exactly, and considering the cost of a rotopax and mount you could easily match it and not have to stop to fill up.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
Run the vent tube from the OEM tank to the auxiliary tank. The vent tube from the OEM tank would hook to the bottom nipple of the auxiliary tank mount a autozone external fuel pump and BAM your done. No modification to the stock OEM tank. The OEM tank & the auxiliary tank would both vent from the auxiliary tank. The only way not to use a fuel pump is to mount the auxiliary tank higher than the OEM for them equalize. When your OEM tank gets low just flip a switch to cut your low volume fuel pump on and it goes rite into the OEM tank. I think a 3 gallon tank would be nice and 3 extra gallons is a lot.

Reactions: JTW and Jshell3
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!