P500 Gauging Interest: weather-resistant under-seat storage box for Pioneer 520 and Pioneer 500

monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
Gauging Interest:
Weather-resistant under-seat storage box for Pioneer 520 and Pioneer 500
  • Depth: 9.5"
  • Lid: weather-sealed, fastened with spring clips
  • Volume: 460 cubic inches
  • Estimated cost: $200-$250
  • Made in the USA

Underseat1 Underseat2

Last edited:
hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
Looks great, would love one, especially if it's lockable.
Unfortunately, I have all my power cables routed under the drivers seat waiting for my 2nd battery install.

Reactions: trigger and monaco
Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Gauging Interest:
Weather-resistant under-seat storage box for Pioneer 520 and Pioneer 500
  • Depth: 9.5"
  • Lid: weather-sealed, fastened with spring clips
  • Volume: 460 cubic inches
  • Estimated cost: $200-$250
  • Made in the USA

View attachment 308421 View attachment 308422
Very Nice. Looks great but that is steep on the price for my situation.

Mrmachinist

Mrmachinist

Oct 18, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
I love the idea, but since I run a toolbox it’s not needed for me personally.

I too think the price is in the high end but I also understand what it takes to mfg items in small quantities so I understand the price point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hi,

I'm totally onboard for using the dead space under the drivers seat. I really like your idea and understand that costs for R & D can be crazy, but that price point is quite a bit more than what I would spend on it.

Rob

monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah I don't want to go to China for manufacturing either. Appreciate y'alls input

Notthouse22

Notthouse22

May 1, 2021
Fernley
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I think it looks great and I prefer made in the USA. 🇺🇸

I would be interested. How do you plan to attach the box to the frame? Would it be easily removed to check the oil?

Reactions: monaco
monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
I think it looks great and I prefer made in the USA. 🇺🇸

I would be interested. How do you plan to attach the box to the frame? Would it be easily removed to check the oil?
It would be "panel-clipped" down into the under-seat plastic. Looking into now alternatives to making it potentially cheaper by size and lid optional.

Reactions: Notthouse22
S

skinnyman

May 22, 2020
ohio
Ownership

1. 500
It looks like a nice product. Thanks for making it in our country instead of supporting china. Price is not out of line when you look at other options that are bought, like shocks(ouch) a good windshield, good tires (yes some are made in USA) power steering the list goes on. My issue is I doubt I would flip up my seat, move the trigger shield then get to the box very often. Keep the box under the seat but have it accessible from the outside of the utv.

bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
The OEM is $189. Would your be bigger, better or faster? If not, I’d not invest time and $ in doing the DFM on the item and NRE if it’s injection or blow molded.

I retired as sales director for a product development firm.

5d3b7d4c80ae1be0383ef3d1fdeec522

Notthouse22

Notthouse22

May 1, 2021
Fernley
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I think the OP’s design includes a dust lid. I may be wrong, but I don’t think the Honda version offers a lid. I would prefer a dust lid myself. And possibly a one-way drain plug if it could be designed that way.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Looks great, would love one, especially if it's lockable.
Unfortunately, I have all my power cables routed under the drivers seat waiting for my 2nd battery install.

That spot was made for the second battery IMO. Integrate a buss bar, turn that storage box into a battery box and sell the sh** out of them. 🤑

monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
The OEM is $189. Would your be bigger, better or faster? If not, I’d not invest time and $ in doing the DFM on the item and NRE if it’s injection or blow molded.

I retired as sales director for a product development firm.

View attachment 309522

Thanks - yeah my math says don't bother with it.

OEM: 190 for a simple box with no lid. There's another one out there too (Rocky Mtn ATV I believe), it's $200 for something almost identical to the OEM - also no lid and a tad smaller. It's telling that those mass manufacturers can't get their price lower than 190-200 :oops:

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
I doubt they sell many of them. Higher sales could result in lower pricing of course.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
That spot was made for the second battery IMO. Integrate a buss bar, turn that storage box into a battery box and sell the sh** out of them. 🤑
This right here. Sell a battery kit/box that's moulded for it, pre-wired, and perhaps includes a breaker/isolator/selector switch, and I bet you'd sell a bunch.

Reactions: trigger and monaco
bowhunterbill

bowhunterbill

May 31, 2019
Bozeman, MT
Thanks - yeah my math says don't bother with it.

OEM: 190 for a simple box with no lid. There's another one out there too (Rocky Mtn ATV I believe), it's $200 for something almost identical to the OEM - also no lid and a tad smaller. It's telling that those mass manufacturers can't get their price lower than 190-200 :oops:

The rule of thumb is your list price needs to be 5x the manufacturing cost- which doesn’t really recoup all the NRE for molds for plastic parts until you sell a bunch.

Keep thinking about something else.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!