P500 Gear display shows --, will not start

G

Grizzbut

Aug 19, 2016
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 500
I just got my 500 2 weeks ago. It had 42 mls on it when I bought it new, I had noticed that it would slow shift going up and down gears (feel slight movement, like partial shift and then full shift after). Dealer said nothing to worry about. Unfortunately after a short ride the unit will not show any gear on the dash now and of course will not start. Any ideas, I will be contacting my dealer tomorrow but as you can guess I'm not in the happiest of moods over this. The reason I bought Honda was for reliability, but for 10 miles and fix I could have bought and artic cat.

J

JTW

Stuck between gears.. Try rocking if that doesn't work there is a little tool under your seat to shift with.

J

JTW

The shifting you talk about surely isn't right.. Hopefully someone else here will have a little more insight.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I just got my 500 2 weeks ago. It had 42 mls on it when I bought it new, I had noticed that it would slow shift going up and down gears (feel slight movement, like partial shift and then full shift after). Dealer said nothing to worry about. Unfortunately after a short ride the unit will not show any gear on the dash now and of course will not start. Any ideas, I will be contacting my dealer tomorrow but as you can guess I'm not in the happiest of moods over this. The reason I bought Honda was for reliability, but for 10 miles and fix I could have bought and artic cat.
Did you disconnect the battery cable for a few moments and reconnect? 42 miles???? That's not right. Most dealers have little or no test tracks to speak of. I can't see how it racked up 42 miles? Btw, welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
J

JTW

Did you disconnect the battery cable for a few moments and reconnect? 42 miles???? That's not right. Most dealers have little or no test tracks to speak of. I can't see how it racked up 42 miles?
Good point.. That's a lot of miles in a parking lot!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Good point.. That's a lot of miles in a parking lot!
My dealer has a couple acres out back with a mud hole, a couple of burms and a few s curves. Maybe 3-4 hundred yards total for you to go get a feel for it on. But 200 people could do that and it wouldn't have 42 miles on it. I bought one the guys were assembling in July of 2014 when they first rolled onto dealer lots. I think it had just the mile put on it coming out of the factory test.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

My dealer has a couple acres out back with a mud hole, a couple of burms and a few s curves. Maybe 3-4 hundred yards total for you to go get a feel for it on. But 200 people could do that and it wouldn't have 42 miles on it. I bought one the guys were assembling in July of 2014 when they first rolled onto dealer lots. I think it had just the mile put on it coming out of the factory test.
Yeah.. I bought one of the 2017's when they first... Oh wait!!

G

Grizzbut

Aug 19, 2016
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 500
Just went out and shook it front to back. Unit showed neutral instantly and now starts. Couple of questions, with key in on position but not started unit will make shifting noise and dash will go to --, not show a gear. I don't remember it doing that at all before. Also is the what feels like a two stage shift normal? I appreciate your help.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Lmao. Did we ever get pics of this phantom pile of parts you've alleged are in your garage??

Reactions: JTW and joeymt33
G

Grizzbut

Aug 19, 2016
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 500
42 mls, unit was used as a demo for prospective buyers. Got a little better deal on that, however only better if it all works.

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
42 mls, unit was used as a demo for prospective buyers. Got a little better deal on that, however only better if it all works.
I see. Hopefully those pb's weren't abusive with it. Good luck man.

cthack

cthack

Aug 17, 2015
Texarkana, Arkansas
My machine did that on the second ride. I was with my dad deep down in the bottoms. He about freaked thinking about walking out. Turns out, I had the parking brake on and rocking didn't work. Released the parking brake and a gentle rock put back in gear and allowed me to shift to neutral. Also, I found out later that if you depress the brake it will start in gear or between gears. Although on mine, you have to keep the brake depressed for a second or two after it kicks over or it will die. I guess the brake safety relay has a slight delay.
Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: monaco and JTW

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!