P1000 Getting Winch wiring under the hood

B

BrotherNov

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm installing an Axon 55S on a tough country bumper. Looks pretty easy, but a couple of basic questions. First, I've seen a lot of pics of peoples under the hood setups (while figuring out the dual battery stuff) and I don't recall seeing where winch wires enter the battery area Did you guys drill a hole though the under-hood area to get the cables to the battery? I assume you had to, where did you decide was best? Is there a more "elegant" way to get them up there? Second, I attached a pic of the entire wiring instructions. Simple enough, but I want to clarify something. The wire in between the switch and the remote harness looks like it's going to a keyed power source (where it says "wire splice not included). Can I just ignore/delete this wire since I'm running it to my second battery and prefer it to run without the key being turned on?

BBB CCC DDD

TxDoc

TxDoc

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2019
TEXAS 🇨🇱
photos.app.goo.gl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just a footnote.... If you ever want to add the Warn wireless remote, you can't work the Axon as the solenoid isn't accessible.

You may have no use for that, but just to let you know.

Good luck on your upgrades

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

B

BrotherNov

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks. Wireless would have been nice, but I'll cross that bridge if it ever becomes an issue. Just trying to get it functional so I can ride again.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don’t have a photo, but I ran my winch wires thru a hole I drilled on passenger side of the under hood air box (Outside it) and ran the wires down the radiator support post.

Reactions: TxDoc
B

BrotherNov

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's where I planned to put it too. Was hoping Honda thought about this in advance and there was a more elegant solution. Like something close to the firewall, but if it's there I can't find it.

Last edited:
H

HondaTech

That's where I planned to put it too. Was hoping Honda thought about this in advance and there was a more elegant solution. Like something close to the firewall, but if it's there I can't find it.

Honda runs the blue/yellow off the winch through the hole next to where you have you positive cable off your isolator running into your fuse box. But that really only applies to a Wicnh with an external contactor.

I usually run under hood wires along the main harness that comes in near the rear under the rubber flap.

CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
If im understanding you correctly, no, you got to have that wired on a key on hot wire. if its on a constant hot wire your winch switch will stay on= battery drain. blue light on switch

B

BrotherNov

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If im understanding you correctly, no, you got to have that wired on a key on hot wire. if its on a constant hot wire your winch switch will stay on= battery drain. blue light on switch
Rut Row, if that's the case then im in over my head electrically. The switch Warn provided doesn't have a light on it. I assumed if i direct wired to the second battery the winch would only be hot when I had the button/switch pushed

CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Rut Row, if that's the case then im in over my head electrically. The switch Warn provided doesn't have a light on it. I assumed if i direct wired to the second battery the winch would only be hot when I had the button/switch pushed
Nope, key on = blue light on switch on (wired correctly) wired the way your talking swich light on all the time.

B

BrotherNov

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2019
Springfield, IL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nope, key on = blue light on switch on (wired correctly) wired the way your talking swich light on all the time.
There's no light on the switch. I wish there was, but since there isn't won't I be ok?

advertisement
CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I have the Axon45 and the warn switch on it has a blue light between the in and out

CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV

see where the hand is ? thats a light

CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
And thanks by the way, for suffering thru my inexperience
Thats why we are on here. to help and learn. yes it should be ok there, just has to be keyed power. warns digital switch, light changes color if winch is working to hard.

Reactions: TxDoc and Hondasxs

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!