P1000 Good service recommendation in Arkansas

brettc

brettc

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2020
Little Rock, AR & Crawford, CO
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello, I have a 2021 p1000-3 with a leak from the sub trans I need to have fixed under warranty. I can take it anywhere in the state - can anyone recommend a good dealership for service, and also dealers that you would not recommend? Best I can tell it will be the from output shaft seal - but the oil is so new and clear, I can't really tell. Thank you in advance. I bought it from the mississippi gulf coast, would prefer to have it taken care of here.

Reactions: Buggyman
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Usually, you get the best service from the dealer you purchased it from.
Is there a reason you are not wanting to go there?

Also, How bad is it. You said it is clear. As in the oil is clear or clear as in not dirty?
I assume you have wiped it and confirmed it is still leaking, yes?
Can you post a picture?

Thanks.

brettc

brettc

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Its 415 miles one way to the dealer I bought it. I got it a couple of days before Christmas last year when there was no stock around here. Just hauled it back/forth to Colorado a couple of weeks ago, I had cleaned it all up before I left. After the first 40 miles of mild riding there, I dropped the skid plate and there was a spot about 12 inches in diameter on top of my skid plate. I cleaned it all up again and tried to locate it with a good light, but I can't tell for sure. When I changed the engine oil at the first 100 miles is when I first noticed it. At that time it was a spot about 2 inches wide and about 6 inches long, looked more like grease that the factory applied to the front shaft seal, along with some sub trans oil. I've got a grand total of about 350 miles on it now (so the oil is still very clear). Just pulled into home today, I'll drop the skid again in a day or two - maybe I have enough dust on it now to tell for sure. I will post some pictures after I get a chance to look at it again. Generally it has a drop or two on case where the sub trans bolts together. I saw a picture on here recently that looked identical to what I'm seeing, the owner had the rear output shaft seal replaced at the dealer.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ok.
I was hoping it was a very small spot.
Mine had a white'ish clear grease spot when I bought it. It was grease from the seal being pushed out and not oil.
The sub-trans has standard motor oil, it should not be clear. Pull your sub-trans dip stick and compare that oil to what you found.
Ok.
Well. I have no recommendations for a dealer. Sorry.
Good luck.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can get some fluorescent dye tracker that's made for oil. Available at most auto parts or on-line. It only take a small amount of dye to do the job. Run it for a short bit, then check with a UV light and the freshly leaked oil will fluoresce showing where the leak is. If you don't see any indication, run it a bit longer. The trick is not to run it too long, or the dye tracker will be all over!

This is a common procedure with aircraft, most are air cooled and a small leak anywhere will make a mess everywhere!

brettc

brettc

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You can get some fluorescent dye tracker that's made for oil. Available at most auto parts or on-line. It only take a small amount of dye to do the job. Run it for a short bit, then check with a UV light and the freshly leaked oil will fluoresce showing where the leak is. If you don't see any indication, run it a bit longer. The trick is not to run it too long, or the dye tracker will be all over!

This is a common procedure with aircraft, most are air cooled and a small leak anywhere will make a mess everywhere!
Thank you for the response, I may have to use the dye because it is not obvious just yet. It's def the sub trans - I was watching the stick the whole time we were away. The level moved down to the bottom and I added just a bit of oil. My guess is its the front shaft seal, but I'd like to know for sure. Its confusing because it seems to collect on a couple of the bolts for the sub trans casing. After we rolled in to home yesterday, I had so much to do that I won't get to it for a few evenings after work.

brettc

brettc

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Usually, you get the best service from the dealer you purchased it from.
Is there a reason you are not wanting to go there?

Also, How bad is it. You said it is clear. As in the oil is clear or clear as in not dirty?
I assume you have wiped it and confirmed it is still leaking, yes?
Can you post a picture?

Thanks.
@Hondasxs @bumperm I posted pics in another thread: P1000 - oil leak on sub trans, front driveshaft? WITH PICS

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!