P1000m5 Got to take a lap in the new deluxe 1000 p5

O

onlyhonda

Oct 2, 2013
So today we drove about 4 hours to Top Trails in Talledega Al for a test of the new 1000 p5 deluxe. Video didn't work out for me but I did snag a few pic I'll try to load soon. Here is the short of it:
It is a beast
65mph top speed with 4 dudes shoved in it
Size very close to 700
Sport mode is VERY noticeable differnce
Low range is legit
Fit and trim are excellent
Terrain type was rocky sandy hills some very steep, crawled it in 2wd with ease.
Suspension was awesome
Power steering was amazing.
If I missed anything feel free to ask. Unfortunately we didn't get to ride to the extent that we did with the 500s but I wanted to share what I saw with all the excitement and lack of info at this point.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I seen..

08e62a3581b996c77210be6634fb80e9
D3fe39bf94d01b3f17458dcacf24c65f
7c9f5cfaec18901ebb449044688e3754
A462b2582579b4346486ddc03c5211be1af612412c07fcbd9b49558ea279bcaa15a5f4c707fab0b8eb946101b092fcd0

Last edited:
tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
Dang that thing looks super clean inside after splashing through the mud. Must have pretty good fenders!

Reactions: Hondasxs
tig

tig

Apr 22, 2015
So today we drove about 4 hours to Top Trails in Talledega Al for a test of the new 1000 p5 deluxe. Video didn't work out for me but I did snag a few pic I'll try to load soon. Here is the short of it:
It is a beast
65mph top speed with 4 dudes shoved in it
Size very close to 700
Sport mode is VERY noticeable differnce
Low range is legit
Fit and trim are excellent
Terrain type was rocky sandy hills some very steep, crawled it in 2wd with ease.
Suspension was awesome
Power steering was amazing.
If I missed anything feel free to ask. Unfortunately we didn't get to ride to the extent that we did with the 500s but I wanted to share what I saw with all the excitement and lack of info at this point.
How was the DCT? Did you get to try the paddles out?

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
@onlyhonda Thanks for sharing your ride impressions and general observations. Glad to hear it will boogie loaded wit 4 adults.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I hope the DCT is smooth... But is it smooth as the Rubicon hondamatic?
Looks like y'all found some mud.

O

onlyhonda

Oct 2, 2013
Hondasxs: I was a little disappointed with the set up of the meeting. I was expecting a full demo day like when the 500 came out. Instead we only got about an hour with two machines (preproduction models). it was extremely short notice, and dealers only. we ended up driving about 3.5-4 hours (one way)for about 40 min of seat time. this was actually two Honda guys doing durability testing across the country and invited a few top dealers from the near by areas to come check them out while they were out.

tig: I actually didn't drive, my coworker did. but my impressions from the back seat were more than enough to get my attention. the guy driving went through all transmission modes and all differential modes. I am a fan of the dct, but I know its love/hate with a lot of our customers. everything functioned seamlessly and as good if not better than my expectation. "sport mode + stomp the throttle= suck you back in your seat."
we also put in low range and let the engine braking take us down a pretty large steep hill. it was impressive.

first hands on impression: I love it. Its a grand slam for Honda and I honestly cant think of one single "FACTORY OPTION" I think of that its missing. I really am impressed with the power, option, the fit and finish of the the new 1000's

Reactions: Duramax and JACKAL
hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015
Tell me more about the suspension, like ride quality and control at brisk or sporty trail speeds. How does it soak up the bumps?

Duramax

Duramax

Jul 23, 2015
Dresden,TN
Man that's so relieving to hear great things about this machine. I been scanning and searching for as much imput as I could find out about this pioneer 1000 everytime im around the internet! onlyhonda thank you very much for your imput!

O

onlyhonda

Oct 2, 2013
Suspension is cushy! which we did have 4 6' dudes that were ~200lbs ish weighing it down, but bouncing off of rocks was not uncomfortable, and sporty ride coming through some turns. we did get to haul but down a couple of roads that were in poor condition and it was a fairly smooth ride at 55-65 mph lol.

Reactions: JACKAL and Duramax
O

onlyhonda

Oct 2, 2013
another thing I keep forgetting, is this unit is actually really quiet. Like, surprisingly quiet. You can hear more "engine noise" inside the cab, but when the first group left out I could hear more tires on gravel than exhaust standing behind them. so for the hunters out there, I think you will be pleased.

I realize I don't have ton of info, but I was hoping a little hands on experience review would be better than none. I was hoping for a good couple of hours to put it through some paces so I could tell much more, but ill take what I can get.

hondarock

hondarock

Jun 19, 2015
Thanks for the info. I think the 3 seat will have different shocks and I would be riding one or two up but any information at all is a good start.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Suspension is cushy! which we did have 4 6' dudes that were ~200lbs ish weighing it down, but bouncing off of rocks was not uncomfortable, and sporty ride coming through some turns. we did get to haul but down a couple of roads that were in poor condition and it was a fairly smooth ride at 55-65 mph lol.
Good to hear I've ridden those roads and they beat the crap out of you if you lose focus for a second those pot holes pop up!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!