Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Gotta check out the adjustments when I get time. Not quite as easy as the Fox QS3 but not difficult either.
I’d wait until you can replicate your normal riding conditions. Then drive it a while before making to many changes. If you continuously play with them you’ll never find the sweet spot. 1 or 2 clicks you won’t notice a difference.

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’d wait until you can replicate your normal riding conditions. Then drive it a while before making to many changes. If you continuously play with them you’ll never find the sweet spot. 1 or 2 clicks you won’t notice a difference.
I agree. Just wanted to see the range.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Looks like they missed the mark on the upper springs, they're almost coil bound, even before the initial 'set'. 😒

Img 8201 jpeg

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yup. I see that now.
I see, But perhaps we are misunderstanding it's function.

I say that because honda is betting big on the change to Showa.

Late next week I will have more info on these and I will ask Honda why it's like this factory.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

advertisement
GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Late next week I will have more info on these and I will ask Honda why it's like this factory.

I’ll send you some better pics to ask them about.

Mudwisel

Mudwisel

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5

Showa just like a lot of manufactures have had some good and bad shocks over the years. The bad ones were usually caused by the factory missing the mark on what they speced but other times they pretty much nailed it

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Here's a photo of my sacked out upper spring (rear), it started out about 4". This is with 2 spares, a Dirt Road Fabrication bed extender and a full TSC bed box, about 225-250 lbs. This was with full preload, I had no adjustment left and the back end had drooped to ~10-1/2" ground clearance (should be 14" with 30" tires).

I nQJv454 X2

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Looks like they missed the mark on the upper springs, they're almost coil bound, even before the initial 'set'. 😒

View attachment 431833

I believe you are..... the tender spring in most applications isn't to carry load....as in have space netween the coils when vehicle is sitting at rest, the primary function is normally to prevent the main spring from coming loose when at full droop. When the shock fully extends the tender keeps the pack tight to prevent bind and noise.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I believe you are..... the tender spring in most applications isn't to carry load....as in have space netween the coils when vehicle is sitting at rest, the primary function is normally to prevent the main spring from coming loose when at full droop. When the shock fully extends the tender keeps the pack tight to prevent bind and noise.
Ok, first off - I'm not arguing, just trying to understand the engineering. Most of you guys have been doing this longer than my 4 years.

I've heard that theory and it made sense but I 'thought' that the tenders carried the lighter loads, providing a softer ride, lower spring rate at lower speeds. Using them to only capture the lower spring at droop, wastes much of their capabilities, the biggest being load bearing at a lower spring rate. I'll bet dollars to donuts that the aftermarket springs, from everyone, will use a tender that's long enough, with enough spring rate, to act like the first gen Talons; and most every off road race vehicle since the invention of crossover rings. That's assuming that the Showas are still using crossovers.

Again, not trying to ruffle feathers, just trying to understand better. We'll know soon enough, Richard and the aftermarket will fill us (me) in.

Sorry about the thread hijack, GovtMule. 😊

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
1st question should be “how much suspension stroke till the tender spring coil binds?”
I think you guys are doing keyboard warrior engineering and your base assumption is Chinese misinformation.
@CID what you say is correct, tender spring gives a soft ride for some amount of the suspension stroke.

GovtMule

GovtMule

Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3
1st question should be “how much suspension stroke till the tender spring coil binds?”
I think you guys are doing keyboard warrior engineering and your base assumption is Chinese misinformation.
@CID what you say is correct, tender spring gives a soft ride for some amount of the suspension stroke.
I for one have no idea!

Mudwisel

Mudwisel

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
The tender spring plus the main spring give you an over all effective spring rate. That will determine the load it can carry. What it also allows is the spring to feel softer in the beginning while still being stiffer at the end. I am not saying it is always the best for all circumstances. I was just curios why Honda felt no need for preload adjustment. Must be a reason. GM may find the factory set up perfect . Let the suspension settle a bit then adjust depending on what you want. Or not

advertisement