P1000 GPS - school me..

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK I'm a boat guy and know my way around navigating by GPS on the water but I'm new to SxS's and trail riding. On my last trip to Ocala NF in Florida I realized pretty quick that a GPS would be handy as many unmarked trails clouded the proper route. What do most ATV guys use on trails in say Tenn, Colorado, Utah - a standalone GPS unit or apps on smart phones? What apps are the best? Sources of digital maps etc?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
This has been working great for several of us.

OruxMap's - My GPS Replacement!

I used this and a 10" Android tablet to replace a dedicated GPS that only had a 4" screen.

Ideally the new 6 to 7" phone or tablets are the perfect size.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK so ORUXMAPS is kind of like the base map platform that you import various external maps (trail) on?

Hrdman

Hrdman

Sep 21, 2016
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Magellan TRX7 is what I use, they are improving it with software updates, the latest includes streets to navigate to trails. Some areas are well covered other areas are less than acceptable. The unit itself is IP67 which is a designation of how water and dust proof the unit is. Very rugged and covered in a rubber case. Mounting is RAM Ball so lots of options available, I used the lower storage area and the unit is out of the way and reasonably easy to look at. Mounted the ball on the underside of the shelf. It does have some issues in direct sun light but no unit is good in bright sunlight nature of the beast. Having a 7" unit is great for visibility compared to some of the smaller units. The latest software includes over 100,000 trails so Magellan is working to improve. It is expensive but the unit works for it's intended purpose off road navigation it allows you to log your trips with a return button to get back to your starting point. It is relatively easy to use. And now that it includes regular street navigation it is more flexible than before. Needs no cell service to provide maps. Has a web interface to use at home and review where you have been. You can edit trails at home after your trip. Overall I am happy with mine.

Reactions: sharp
VenturaChuck

VenturaChuck

Apr 22, 2016
Ventura, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use a Garmin Zumo 660 that I moved between car, Gold Wing, and now to my Pioneer. Just got an additional RAM mount for the ROPS and plugged the power supply into the Pioneer's cigarette lighter. The Zumo's software shows all the Forest Service and BLM trails that I have ridden. Best thing is that cell phone connection is not needed, just access to GPS satellites.

Last edited:
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
OK so ORUXMAPS is kind of like the base map platform that you import various external maps (trail) on?
I second this question. Is it similar to Basemap or the Garmin GPS platform?

And in my case... Where I ride I have intermittent cellular coverage. Does it work if get no signal?

Reactions: dotman1
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I second this question. Is it similar to Basemap or the Garmin GPS platform?

And in my case... Where I ride I have intermittent cellular coverage. Does it work if get no signal?
Works entirely of GPS chip in device no cellular needed, even an old deactivated phone could be used.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Works entirely of GPS chip in device no cellular needed, even an old deactivated phone could be used.

Now, that's interesting. I never knew these things had a GPS chip.

advertisement
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
That's why you leave your phone at home when doing something you shouldn't!

Hmmmmm. That makes me wonder how long that information can be retrieved.
If I went to the brothel last month, can they still recover that information?

Reactions: JTW
1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'd be curious to know how an older gps/depthfinder would work, something like a lowrance HDS 7. If you could find the right map card it might be a pretty cheap 7" screen GPS. Just something to think about.

Trophy-5m Baja Chartplotter

A larger more expensive model.
HDS-7 Gen3 Touch Multifunction Off Road GPS Baja Bundle by Rugged Routes

More options.
Lowrance Off Road GPS Navigation Units & GPS Maps - Rugged Routes

Mapping, it requires a Gen 2 unit, but still not to expensive.
http://lr.factoryoutletstore.com/de...14.html?category_id=21953&catalogitemid=97068

http://lr.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/21953/Lowrance-Maps-and-Software.html

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Now, that's interesting. I never knew these things had a GPS chip.

I think most people don't realize that you can still use old smart phones even if there is no current cell service on them. With wifi most act like a mini tablet and I believe the GPS functionality is usually intact.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can't use an old apple device or a device that is wifi only (i.e. iPad). I'm guess they don't have a standalone gps chip or you can't activate it. You can use an android device in that fashion. I use Motion X on my iPhone or iPad while I drive and it tracks the entire days progress and can track other people who are using the same program and sharing a channel. You can also save the courses and overlay them anytime you are in that area. The android version of this program is called back country navigator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp and JTW
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I think most people don't realize that you can still use old smart phones even if there is no current cell service on them. With wifi most act like a mini tablet and I believe the GPS functionality is usually intact.
Yes you can load any app (ORUXMAPS) & Map files you need via WiFi and the GPS works all the time unless turned off.

I have links to TN trails (free) in my Royal Blue Ride Report and UT Trails in Paiute Trail Ride Report. I think I linked them all in the thread I put in post #2 on this thread.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes you can load any app (ORUXMAPS) & Map files you need via WiFi and the GPS works all the time unless turned off.

I have links to TN trails (free) in my Royal Blue Ride Report and UT Trails in Paiute Trail Ride Report. I think I linked them all in the thread I put in post #2 on this thread.

Again this only works on non-apple devices (unless you can prove me wrong...please do) I have tried to use an old iPad mini and an iPhone and neither will ever locate a gps signal.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Again this only works on non-apple devices (unless you can prove me wrong...please do) I have tried to use an old iPad mini and an iPhone and neither will ever locate a gps signal.

You are correct, for ANDRIOD based devices only. Cr@pple products are too greedy to let you use it without paying for service.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just mentioning because a lot of us are using those cr@pple products... not that I disagree with your thoughts.

txsurfer

txsurfer

Sep 2, 2016
Santa Fe , TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think my windows phone will work without cell activation. Realizing few own a windows phone..actually not a bad phone FWIW

Tropicalfruitfarm

Tropicalfruitfarm

Nov 2, 2016
Merritt Island
www.islandtropicalfruit.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
As a fellow boat guy and new 1000-3, 700-4 owner, I have been looking at GPS units as well. Still debating if I need a terrain map, I just don't want to get lost and I want to be able to find my way back to camp. I am using my Garmin GPSmap 76CSx, a hand held marine unit.
I simply start a track, mark some way points along the way and save the track. I do this each time I go out on 16K acres. When I feel I'm lost, I just reload one of the tracks, and follow it back home.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!