GPS who's running VV Mapping?

J

JTW

So I have an old garmin nuvi 750 I don't use anymore and just ordered the VV Mapping chip for Appalachia ORV Trails (WV, KY, VA, TN, OH, NC, SC) for it.. figured I may as well get some use out of it on the trails.

Appalachia ORV GPS Map - VVMapping.com

So who has used this GPS mapping and are there any others anyone would suggest? Any input on the garmin nuvi, will it suit my basic needs?

Last edited by a moderator:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I have an old garmin nuvi 750 I don't use anymore and just ordered the VV Mapping chip for Appalachia ORV Trails (WV, KY, VA, TN, OH, NC, SC) for it.. figured I may as well get some use out of it on the trails.

Appalachia ORV GPS Map - VVMapping.com

So who has used this GPS mapping and are there any others anyone would suggest? Any input on the garmin nuvi, will it suit my basic needs?

Using this on a Zumo 550 I've had for at least 10 years, it was on my Valkyrie. Worked pretty well at Windrock and Royal Blue.

Reactions: trigger and JTW
ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
ok somebody school this ol fool. I have a Nuvi 750 as well. So I can actually add maps of off road trails? I tried an app on my tablet but never really got the hang of it.

J

JTW

ok somebody school this ol fool. I have a Nuvi 750 as well. So I can actually add maps of off road trails? I tried an app on my tablet but never really got the hang of it.
Yes.. the SD card on the side is where the map info is held. Change the card and you change the maps. That's my understanding anyway. I'm like you and have looked for phone apps and such.. but nothing has seemed to offer what I'm wanting.. the only issue I have found is finding comprehensive maps for different areas we'll ride that don't have gps info. I'm also curious if you can overlay a simple drawn map, where the trails aren't GPSed, onto something like google maps or something similar and have it track you? I realize it wouldn't be as exact, but would give you good reference where you are on a trail system.

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Yes.. the SD card on the side is where the map info is held. Change the card and you change the maps. That's my understanding anyway. I'm like you and have looked for phone apps and such.. but nothing has seemed to offer what I'm wanting.. the only issue I have found is finding comprehensive maps for different areas we'll ride that don't have gps info. I'm also curious if you can overlay a simple drawn map, where the trails aren't GPSed, onto something like google maps or something similar and have it track you? I realize it wouldn't be as exact, but would give you good reference where you are on a trail system.

I know some of the ATV apps will track you so you can find your way back, but I'll be damned if I can figure it out.

Reactions: JTW
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I purchased the VV Maps but have yet to use them! Need to get it together as the Takeover is going to be here before I know it!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I'm way late to the party, just caught this thread...VV Mapping is the sh**! Blows up the detail from 100k to 24k and shows everything you want it to or not, fuel locations, stores, etc. He is constantly updating the trails from actual rides, not just aerial photos. I have the Montana 610 and was able to load without removing the SD card, just hooked through USB to computer. Once loaded, you can remove the SD and it's in the unit itself. He lives in Pinconning, MI. which is about 10 min. north of me, the guy's name is Jeremy. Great guy, you can call him and he'll walk you through it. You can create 'way points' which are locations that you can enter, where you started, points of interest that you want to find again, and tracks everywhere you ride so you can always find your way back. Way better than the stock loaded maps.
As for an overlay, you can go into Garmin Base Camp and plan a route and then load it into the GPS. That planned route can also be sent to friends and they can load it into theirs. Pretty cool stuff and way better than the standard loaded maps.

Reactions: ohanacreek and JTW
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
There is a good download site goes state by state. Files are free, I have about 12K miles of trails loaded in my Garmin Montana 650T for over 6 years now, files are updated regularly for new trails and systems. I can see / do everything as stated above see as much or little info as desired for food fuel trail difficulty etc. Have used them in WV, UT, TN with great success. I even now use them on my tablet using ORUX maps app. 4" screen is just to small for me, currently use an old 10" tablet but the 7 or 8" models are perfectly sized.

Page is: GPSFileDepot - Free Custom Garmin Maps, Ximage hosting, tutorials, articles and more for your GPSr

WV trails: WV ATV Trails 2016 Garmin Compatible Map - GPSFileDepot

TN trails:
North Cumberland OHV / ATV Trails v2.3, TN Garmin Compatible Map - GPSFileDepot

UT trails:
UTAH ATV Trails 2016 Garmin Compatible Map - GPSFileDepot
MOAB only: Moab Trails 2014 Garmin Compatible Map - GPSFileDepot

These I have personally used, Garmin is easy adding through base camp but tablet have to change a letter of one file extension to work. I have tried walking people through it before and realized some get it and some just need to pay for something where all the details are hashed out (plug n play).

advertisement
J

JTW

I'm way late to the party, just caught this thread...VV Mapping is the sh**! Blows up the detail from 100k to 24k and shows everything you want it to or not, fuel locations, stores, etc. He is constantly updating the trails from actual rides, not just aerial photos. I have the Montana 610 and was able to load without removing the SD card, just hooked through USB to computer. Once loaded, you can remove the SD and it's in the unit itself. He lives in Pinconning, MI. which is about 10 min. north of me, the guy's name is Jeremy. Great guy, you can call him and he'll walk you through it. You can create 'way points' which are locations that you can enter, where you started, points of interest that you want to find again, and tracks everywhere you ride so you can always find your way back. Way better than the stock loaded maps.
As for an overlay, you can go into Garmin Base Camp and plan a route and then load it into the GPS. That planned route can also be sent to friends and they can load it into theirs. Pretty cool stuff and way better than the standard loaded maps.
The last two trips to Tn I haven't been overly impressed with it. I wonder if it's not my gps interface with the older nuvi then? It seems I can't get it to work the way I want and think it should.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The last two trips to Tn I haven't been overly impressed with it. I wonder if it's not my gps interface with the older nuvi then? It seems I can't get it to work the way I want and think it should.
Did you try a system update of the actual GPS? Oftentimes those updates do contain features through software that doesn't originally come when bought.

J

JTW

Yeah, I have an old Nuvi in the car that didn't come with the lifetime updates. The Montana has a touch screen for marking way points. Just have to teach the wife not to touch the screen when she's pointing at stuff. :rolleyes:
Did you use the nuvi before the Montana?

J

JTW

No, just use it in the car. I have dedicated GPS's hard wired in each vehicle, that way they are always charged and I can just unplug them if I want to go mobile.
Gotcha... I'm going to have to try something different.

Reactions: trigger
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Im running a cheap android tablet with "BOBT" maps (hes someone from a RZR forum that updates maps for some areas). Since i mainly ride WV it shows me the HM trails as well as the Outlaw trails. Worked pretty good my last trip.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!