BOX1

Grease leakage from LR axle

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am not sure of the proper name of the rubber 'bellow' on the axle next to the wheel, but while installing the auto backup light today, I notice grease had come out of it all over the hub area. I must have just occurred since it was not like that at Mulberry last week.
Questions ........
1. I did not see any rip in the rubber, but assume there is one. I have no experience with such things, but assume the bellow is replaceable. If so, is it just a matter of replace the bellow and filling with grease or is that not possible?
2. How likely is it the band on either end simply allowed some grease to escape?
3. Is there a 'How To' video available on making the necessary repair?
4. Since Mulberry, I have only put about 10 miles on the Pioneer, so how likely is it that there is any real damage other than the leaking bellow?
84549919e9d18c1e3b1e61e31088db48Fc2e20919f24fb58ca9abade7dc7ded7

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I did a search on Youtube and this video came up. I did not pay attention to who made up but after just a second of hearing the voice, I said to myself ....... that sounds like @joeymt33 ....... lol. Do you have a vid showing how to first take the axle off the machine?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I did a search on Youtube and this video came up. I did not pay attention to who made up but after just a second of hearing the voice, I said to myself ....... that sounds like @joeymt33 ....... lol. Do you have a vid showing how to first take the axle off the machine?

I think so, let me go look.

Reactions: Ragnar406
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

It’s for a rear axle but the process is going to be the same. The bolts are different size for the brake caliper bracket from front to back

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Seems the main issue is you don't have any grease between your balls! HA! When you took it apart, was it contaminated with mud/ dirt? Hows everything look after clean up? Looked good from the pictures. Joey is dead on!

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s for a rear axle but the process is going to be the same. The bolts are different size for the brake caliper bracket from front to back
Good deal, that will help. Very good video Joey, now if I just had that nice big shop and lift I would be in business. But seriously, that will make my 'first time' a lot more tolerable on removing axle/replacing boot.

Last edited:
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I am not sure of the proper name of the rubber 'bellow' on the axle next to the wheel, but while installing the auto backup light today, I notice grease had come out of it all over the hub area. I must have just occurred since it was not like that at Mulberry last week.
Questions ........
1. I did not see any rip in the rubber, but assume there is one. I have no experience with such things, but assume the bellow is replaceable. If so, is it just a matter of replace the bellow and filling with grease or is that not possible?
2. How likely is it the band on either end simply allowed some grease to escape?
3. Is there a 'How To' video available on making the necessary repair?
4. Since Mulberry, I have only put about 10 miles on the Pioneer, so how likely is it that there is any real damage other than the leaking bellow?
View attachment 188617View attachment 188618
Looks like it probably has a tear/cut/hole between the ribs. Had similar on my Rubicon and couldn't even see the tear until I had it off the bike and flexed it. I bought a spare axle for the ATV so I could just pull it and put the good one in while I fixed the busted one. I'm going to get a couple Rhino 2.0's for the P1k and keep my stock axles for the same reason.

Chevy412SP

Chevy412SP

Aug 30, 2018
Western New York
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just an FYI, if you have any noise such as grinding or clunking or noise for the matter, save yourself the time. I tore my boot when I only had about 150miles on the machine, but by the time I noticed the grease, it was already making a little noise. I took it to the dealer when having the updates done and had them replace the boot, it was the rear axle, after wards it was still making noise, so the dealer was good and did me a favor and replaced the whole axle under warranty and put it as “defective “ and just charged me for the boot, dealer was solid and I didn’t even buy the machine from them Hamburg Honda in Buffalo, NY is outstanding.

Reactions: Mudwing and BigOL3
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just an FYI, if you have any noise such as grinding or clunking or noise for the matter, save yourself the time. I tore my boot when I only had about 150miles on the machine, but by the time I noticed the grease, it was already making a little noise. I took it to the dealer when having the updates done and had them replace the boot, it was the rear axle, after wards it was still making noise, so the dealer was good and did me a favor and replaced the whole axle under warranty and put it as “defective “ and just charged me for the boot, dealer was solid and I didn’t even buy the machine from them Hamburg Honda in Buffalo, NY is outstanding.
No noise at this time.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like it probably has a tear/cut/hole between the ribs. Had similar on my Rubicon and couldn't even see the tear until I had it off the bike and flexed it. I bought a spare axle for the ATV so I could just pull it and put the good one in while I fixed the busted one. I'm going to get a couple Rhino 2.0's for the P1k and keep my stock axles for the same reason.
I was possibly thinking along the same lines. I was looking at RM site, and saw All Balls 8 Ball Extreme Duty Axle for $158 and wondering if anyone had used them/had opinion and thoughts on quality.

Reactions: Ragnar406
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I was possibly thinking along the same lines. I was looking at RM site, and saw All Balls 8 Ball Extreme Duty Axle for $158 and wondering if anyone had used them/had opinion and thoughts on quality.
@JTW @CumminsPusher have y'all used the axles he's talking about?

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I'm going SATV Rhino 2.0 so I can have a little peace of mind about not putting the steering stops in the rack after adding the arms. They are supposed to be good. The one Snuff grenaded at Mulberry was a 2.0 though and he wasn't even in a bind when it went. They are supposedly pretty good about warranty though, since you no longer have to send the broken one back.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigOL3
Cyberjunk

Cyberjunk

Berserker
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2017
Crane Hill Alabama
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-4
I know someone was using the all balls but didn't remember if they held up or were trash.

I took out a 6 ball all balls , upgraded to a 8 ball one and it is still holding . Can’t say the niche I bought for my rear was good as it sheared at the spline but joint didn’t fail on my rear. Trying to adapt 280Z axles like I put on my dune buggy years ago to stop breaking them :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I took out a 6 ball all balls , upgraded to a 8 ball one and it is still holding . Can’t say the niche I bought for my rear was good as it sheared at the spline but joint didn’t fail on my rear. Trying to adapt 280Z axles like I put on my dune buggy years ago to stop breaking them :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You should probably just run a solid rear axle... Adapt some leaf springs!

Reactions: Plumber32
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Don't do the 8 balls. The cage is thin to add the balls and the cage is what always breaks. OEM or SATV. I never broke a 1.0 SATV.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!