P700 Ground clearance and CG

B

Bendboater

May 14, 2021
Bend, Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Hi,

Does anyone have comments about the stock Pioneer 700's ground clearance and its CG?
If I were to lift the machine 2" would I find it tippy (intended riding is on forest/desert roads and some trails)?

Steve

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hi,

Does anyone have comments about the stock Pioneer 700's ground clearance and its CG?
If I were to lift the machine 2" would I find it tippy (intended riding is on forest/desert roads and some trails)?

Steve
Are you the same guy that cant decide on a P7 or a P1? had a thread on P7 vs P1? Did u get the P7? Or didnt u get the answers u wanted in the other thread? Curious..

B

Bendboater

May 14, 2021
Bend, Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Are you the same guy that cant decide on a P7 or a P1? had a thread on P7 vs P1? Did u get the P7? Or didnt u get the answers u wanted in the other thread? Curious..
Hi,
Yup, that is probably me. And no, I haven't gotten all the answers I need......mainly because I don't yet know enough to know what to ask. Heck, I haven't even been able to sit in a SxS, let alone drive one. So what I "know" is solely based on what others tell me....hence my subscribing to this forum.
I have yet to choose which machine (or manufacture for that matter). To some extent, it may just come down to what I can get....with Honda dealers laughing at me saying it is unlikely I can get a machine until 2022 .....where Polaris is 30 to 60 days out. Even willing to drive halfway across the country (no further than 1500 miles though) to get the right machine.....once I figure out what it is.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
All I can say is if you are wanting to really ride with a group of people like are on this forum, then you better get the P1k.
A lot of us started with a 500 or 700's and made the move to the 1000. IMO you cannot compare these machines!!!,
each has its own place and uses.
Maybe a list of what you want in a machine and what your expectations are for future usage would help us help you decide.

Reactions: CID and Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hi,
Yup, that is probably me. And no, I haven't gotten all the answers I need......mainly because I don't yet know enough to know what to ask. Heck, I haven't even been able to sit in a SxS, let alone drive one. So what I "know" is solely based on what others tell me....hence my subscribing to this forum.
I have yet to choose which machine (or manufacture for that matter). To some extent, it may just come down to what I can get....with Honda dealers laughing at me saying it is unlikely I can get a machine until 2022 .....where Polaris is 30 to 60 days out. Even willing to drive halfway across the country (no further than 1500 miles though) to get the right machine.....once I figure out what it is.
NP, just askin. Some unsolicited advice tho, I would just worry about getting the machine u want before worrying about what size tires, lift and stuff each machine can take, too many variables to make your head spin. If you want to get into lifting a machine, your better off for a 1000 cuz most, not all that do that to a 700 end up getting a 1000 in the end for obvious reasons. So Just find a dealer you feel good about, order one and wait. Theres no way around that. You can blame the China virus for that! ;)

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Allow me to confuse things - My first SxS is my Talon R. If you don’t need to seat more than two, highly recommended.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
All I can say is if you are wanting to really ride with a group of people like are on this forum, then you better get the P1k.
A lot of us started with a 500 or 700's and made the move to the 1000. IMO you cannot compare these machines!!!,
each has its own place and uses.
Maybe a list of what you want in a machine and what your expectations are for future usage would help us help you decide.

X2. I have a talon and a pioneer 1000-5. My friend has a pioneer 700 and had a ranger 900. I used to have a ranger 570.

I would say the pioneer 700 is similar to the ranger 570. It will get you where you want to go, but doesn't have enough power for me to be "fun" on a trail ride.

The pioneer 1000-5 has more than enough power for trail riding. The talon even more so, but with comfier suspension.

Imo, you can't go wrong with either, but i prefer the power of the 1000 over the 700. It is a night and day difference.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
20201112 172010
20201112 172000

20210418 164422

My 700-4 has a 2" lift front and back. Also has extra 2" spring spacer lift in front to clear my 28x10x14 itp blackwater tires. Rims are 5+3 offset. To me it seems just as stable as stock. The 28" tires took some power away especially with 4 people riding. I'm ready for a p1k5 or talon to use for trail riding.

advertisement
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also will say the 700 is a very capable machine. Will go pretty much anywhere but ain't gonna get you there quick. Just can't have as much fun with the lack of power.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hi,
See....did we get the answers you were seeking?
787369A5 D624 4E8E 8A30 065640EDDBF9
👍

R

Rigit

Nov 10, 2020
Nla
Ownership

1. 700-4
I was on this forum before I bought my 700-4 D. I was pretty zoned in on a honda due to the drivetrain, reputation, and prior ownership. Really didn't need a Talon which I would love to have. Also needed 4 seats and short enough to fit on my existing utility trailer. I really didn't think I needed a P1K ether. In my case I still don't think I need one. I use mine for hunting mostly but just got back from Hot Springs Off Road Park. My new claim to fame now is that I was able to make it all the way through a Badge of Honor trail following a group of 15 jeeps during a fun run there. I need a sticker! If it wasn't for the spotters I would have never even tried those trails. Great group of guys. Might have been easier with a talon or even a Pioneer 1000 but I made it through. The guys were impressed with the little honda that could. The 700 does everything I NEED and WANT it to do and I think there lies the difference. Some get a machine so it will do everything they WANT it to do which is a lot more than they just NEED it to do. They have turbo charged RZRs with huge tires on them and tons of power. Some in our hunting club. Those don't make a very good hunting vehicles where we hunt. A lot stay broken due to them WANTING to get to a place to retrieve a deer or get to a hunting spot and finding out it can't do what they NEED it to do because it is so big. They then say they needed to do this or that to the machine to be able to blaze their own trails to get there. Right tool for the right job and I have found mine. I put a two inch lift on mine but did put 1.5 inch spacers on it also. Still feels planted. Good luck.

Last edited:
osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have about 2 inches of lift and wheel spacers on mine. I do not find it tippy at all. I dont know if I was carrying 4 all the time if I would get a 700/4 ( I have 700/2. I am also running 29 inch tires. My top speed is a little higher but just a tad slower getting there after yo hit 35. I ride with people that have bigger more hp machines but I do everything they do. If you want to win races it is not your machine. If you want something dependable and underrated it would probably fit the bill. I feel the 700 works better in the real world than it does on paper. On another note some people use portals to get back low end when using bigger tires I am working on installing the 500 ring gear for 18% reduction. Have a used rear diff I will swap just to see if the shifting and such will work. The gear fits. If it works out then I will change them out

Last edited:
R

Rigit

Nov 10, 2020
Nla
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have about 2 inches of lift and wheel spacers on mine. I do not find it tippy at all. I dont know if I was carrying 4 all the time if I would get a 700/4 ( I have 700/2. I am also running 29 inch tires. My top speed is a little higher but just a tad slower getting there after yo hit 35. I ride with people that have bigger more hp machines but I do everything they do. If you want to win races it is not your machine. If you want something dependable and underrated it would probably fit he bill. I feel the 700 works better in the real world than it does on paper. On another note some people use portals to get back low end when using bigger tires I am working on installing the 500 ring gear for 18% reduction. Have a used rear diff I will swap just to see if the shifting and such will work. The gear fits. If it works out then I will change them out
That is well put.

C

caverat

Feb 3, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 700-2
So I guess I'll give my two cents because I was in your position 6 months ago. I bought Honda because every Honda I have ever been around runs forever!!!!
Every Polaris I ever owned or used needed to be worked on constantly. My Yamaha's like Honda just keep going and going. But the 700 is my first SxS. I did no research and knew very little about SxS's! But the dealer had 1 700 deluxe coming in and didn't know when another one would arrive. So I put my money down and a few weeks latter I was the proud new owner $13,200 with roof and front windshield.
#1 did not have enough ground clearance for my style of ridding= bigger tiers 12"x27" and spring spacers.
#2 to narrow for rutted roads= wheel spacer.
#3 because of bigger tiers at around 6500 feet in elevation it did not have enough power to climb over even modestly rough terrain.= bigger tiers & wheels 14" x 28" so I could accommodate portals
#4 speedometer now screwed up reading 10 MPH fast = add speed health to fix speedo now shift points all F#@*ed up!
So my cheap ass did not want to dump 20k plus on a 1k or a Talion so now instead I'm pushing 30k for a 700?????????????
my advice would be go some place that rents SxS's and rent a few different types and ride them in that environment. Then think about the kind of area and style of ridding you will be or plan to be ridding in. Then come back and ask us all the questions you have and we will be much more helpful to you.
The people on hear are an Amazing resource as well as a wealth of knowledge.
I love to modify the crap out of everything I own but I am really kicking my own ass over this one. There is so much more to deciding what SxS is best for you than style and CC guess that's why there are so many different makes and model's
Good luck to you in your quest

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
So I guess I'll give my two cents because I was in your position 6 months ago. I bought Honda because every Honda I have ever been around runs forever!!!!
Every Polaris I ever owned or used needed to be worked on constantly. My Yamaha's like Honda just keep going and going. But the 700 is my first SxS. I did no research and knew very little about SxS's! But the dealer had 1 700 deluxe coming in and didn't know when another one would arrive. So I put my money down and a few weeks latter I was the proud new owner $13,200 with roof and front windshield.
#1 did not have enough ground clearance for my style of ridding= bigger tiers 12"x27" and spring spacers.
#2 to narrow for rutted roads= wheel spacer.
#3 because of bigger tiers at around 6500 feet in elevation it did not have enough power to climb over even modestly rough terrain.= bigger tiers & wheels 14" x 28" so I could accommodate portals
#4 speedometer now screwed up reading 10 MPH fast = add speed health to fix speedo now shift points all F#@*ed up!
So my cheap ass did not want to dump 20k plus on a 1k or a Talion so now instead I'm pushing 30k for a 700?????????????
my advice would be go some place that rents SxS's and rent a few different types and ride them in that environment. Then think about the kind of area and style of ridding you will be or plan to be ridding in. Then come back and ask us all the questions you have and we will be much more helpful to you.
The people on hear are an Amazing resource as well as a wealth of knowledge.
I love to modify the crap out of everything I own but I am really kicking my own ass over this one. There is so much more to deciding what SxS is best for you than style and CC guess that's why there are so many different makes and model's
Good luck to you in your quest
I would agree that if you had to put 30k into a 700 just to get it to suit your riding style or needs it was the wrong machine. That said some people will put that into it because they like to customize and tinker. I hope I dont become one of those LOL

B

Bendboater

May 14, 2021
Bend, Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Caverat,

Thank you very much for your post. What you said really resonated with me.....

Again, thanks to all for the comments and help. Hope to see you on the trail.......someday.

Reactions: caverat
C

caverat

Feb 3, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I would agree that if you had to put 30k into a 700 just to get it to suit your riding style or needs it was the wrong machine. That said some people will put that into it because they like to customize and tinker. I hope I dont become one of those LOL
Oh trust me I am one of those guys I modify everything from my construction trailer to my guns absolutely everything I own gets customized. Been fortunate to have learned many skills from some very intelligent people and was smart enough to listen to them. Oh and the hyper focused ADD thing and perfectionist attitude helps too 🤪🤪😎

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!