P700 More ground clearance

Catch5060708

Catch5060708

Aug 30, 2021
Alabama
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have a 2021 700-4. I know this topic gets beat to death and I have researched it extensively and I’m still unclear of what I should do. I ride in northeast Alabama and we have some really rocky rough trails. I’m currently running 27x10 efx motoravage tires with no lift. I’m still hitting a lot of rocks. Like I said even though it’s in Alabama we have some rough trails in the northeast part of the state. So my question is for guys that run really rocky steep trails what have you found the best set up as far as tire size and do you recommend a lift? I want to get as much ground clearance as I can without being too “top heavy”. Thanks for the help.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have a 2021 700-4. I know this topic gets beat to death and I have researched it extensively and I’m still unclear of what I should do. I ride in northeast Alabama and we have some really rocky rough trails. I’m currently running 27x10 efx motoravage tires with no lift. I’m still hitting a lot of rocks. Like I said even though it’s in Alabama we have some rough trails in the northeast part of the state. So my question is for guys that run really rocky steep trails what have you found the best set up as far as tire size and do you recommend a lift? I want to get as much ground clearance as I can without being too “top heavy”. Thanks for the help.
I had the same problem as well. I kept hitting everything and it really makes some noise. I hade to take the hitch off cause it would hit and make me mad. My 700 came with 25s🤦🏻🤦🏻I first went to 28s this helped a lot then I added shock spacers but it rode stiff and bounced around. I then added the strong made 2” lift and had about 11 1/2 “ of clearence. But the shock spacers on the stock garbage shocks still rode like a wagon.
I ended up getting the fox podium shocks and after that it rides so smooth and forgiving. I have around 12 1/2” of clearence now and don’t hit everything or drag bottom everywhere. If you intend to keep this machine then add the foxs with the strongmade lift and you will be happy.
7 years now I have had it like this and 2600 miles on this set up.

Last edited:
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
SuperATV makes arched a arms for the 700. This would help some with clearance. They are NOT forward offset like the ones for the 1000 though

Catch5060708

Catch5060708

Aug 30, 2021
Alabama
Ownership

1. 700-4
I had the same problem as well. I kept hitting everything and it really makes some noise. I hade to take the hitch off cause it would hit and make me mad. My 700 came with 25s🤦🏻🤦🏻I first went to 28s this helped a lot then I added shock spacers but it rode stiff and bounced around. I then added the super ATV 2” lift and had about 11 1/2 “ of clearence. But the shock spacers on the stock garbage shocks still rode like a wagon.
I ended up getting the fox podium shocks and after that it rides so smooth and forgiving. I have around 12 1/2” of clearence now and don’t hit everything or drag bottom everywhere. If you intend to keep this machine then add the foxs with the super ATV lift and you will be happy.
Thanks that sounds like a good set up!

Reactions: Backwoods
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve looked into those. Would those void my warranty?
Sorry I can't help you on that one. I have zero knowledge about the Honda warranties

Reactions: Backwoods
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I’ve looked into those. Would those void my warranty?
Nope.
Also IMO the arms and shocks are the way to go. Main reason being that u get a true lift . The geometry of the machine gets changed in any lift but with a bracket lift you are very limited to correct any of that. With arms you can fix the camber that gets messed up when lifting and pre loading shocks for more lift. Not to say a bracket lift is bad, if your planning on keeping the machine spend the money once.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I ride the same area you do as well as Tennessee. I have 12 inches of clearance it don't hit to often with good line choices but all of them take some hits here and there.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
@swsebek I kept an eye out for you at TO 2019 said you were coming then disappeared for a long time

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had the same problem as well. I kept hitting everything and it really makes some noise. I hade to take the hitch off cause it would hit and make me mad. My 700 came with 25s🤦🏻🤦🏻I first went to 28s this helped a lot then I added shock spacers but it rode stiff and bounced around. I then added the super ATV 2” lift and had about 11 1/2 “ of clearence. But the shock spacers on the stock garbage shocks still rode like a wagon.
I ended up getting the fox podium shocks and after that it rides so smooth and forgiving. I have around 12 1/2” of clearence now and don’t hit everything or drag bottom everywhere. If you intend to keep this machine then add the foxs with the super ATV lift and you will be happy.
I had the 2" Super ATV bracket lift on my 700. It was very well built. The newer models (I think 2017 and up) are just spring spacers and they definitely make the springs stiffer. I do not recommend the strongmade bracket lift. I know some people love it but my tires rubbed worse with it than with no lift.

advertisement
Backwoods

Backwoods

Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I had the 2" Super ATV bracket lift on my 700. It was very well built. The newer models (I think 2017 and up) are just spring spacers and they definitely make the springs stiffer. I do not recommend the strongmade bracket lift. I know some people love it but my tires rubbed worse with it than with no lift.
Did the bracket lift make the ride harsher I know spring spacers destroy how one rides. I threw a set away

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did the bracket lift make the ride harsher I know spring spacers destroy how one rides. I threw a set away
I don't recall using just the bracket lift. I think I put the bracket lift on and the tires still rubbed so I immediately put the spring spacers on to lift it more. I had tried the spacers before I bought the super ATV lift since they were the cheaper option.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You could try the commander shocks. Supposedly gives 2.5" of lift and a lot better ride. That's just what I've read on here. Also will add that my 700 never felt top heavy sitting on 28x10 blackwaters with the lift

Backwoods

Backwoods

Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
You could try the commander shocks. Supposedly gives 2.5" of lift and a lot better ride. That's just what I've read on here. Also will add that my 700 never felt top heavy sitting on 28x10 blackwaters with the lift
I've been in one with commander shocks and it rode much better but it would eat a couple of axles a year . I assume it's from the sharper CV angle but I could be wrong.

Reactions: WagginTail
Catch5060708

Catch5060708

Aug 30, 2021
Alabama
Ownership

1. 700-4
BEBD1EFE D4D1 4AC6 9F38 4C9BD1699EDE

All this being said….I love this freaking thing. I was riding a beat up Bennche Rhino Clone for about 10 years so it performs like a dream. I just like tinkering with stuff to make it even better.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
View attachment 320016
All this being said….I love this freaking thing. I was riding a beat up Bennche Rhino Clone for about 10 years so it performs like a dream. I just like tinkering with stuff to make it even better.
It looks good I'll have had mine 4 yrs this July. It's been trouble free

Reactions: Catch5060708
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks good. I like those wheels. So to answer your original question... I would go with arched a arms, fox shocks and 27" tires. And get a good uhmw skid plate. I'm getting ready to put the arms and shocks on my 1000. Just waiting on my front shocks to come in.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!