P700 Ground clearance and CG

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
Oh trust me I am one of those guys I modify everything from my construction trailer to my guns absolutely everything I own gets customized. Been fortunate to have learned many skills from some very intelligent people and was smart enough to listen to them. Oh and the hyper focused ADD thing and perfectionist attitude helps too 🤪🤪😎
I completely understand. I do the with all of my stuff including some of the same things you mentioned. Its part of making it your own. I just would like to think as I get older I have gotten wise enough to learn not to go down a rabbit hole. I learning to be more practical in wants and needs. God I hate it sometimes LOL

Reactions: toddvdh
C

caverat

Feb 3, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 700-2
My only real problem is no Lo range had I known before paying for it I would never have bought the 700 in the first place. I spend a lot of time in Lo range on my 4 wheelers. I actually didn't even notice it didn't have it for about a week after taking possession of it. My bad now I get to pay the price for my lack of research 🤑
I used to think as I got older I became wiser but almost 50 now and nope still a dumb ass🤓

B

Bendboater

May 14, 2021
Bend, Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Yes, I saw that and wasn't sure how big an issue it might be but was concerned about it none the less.

R

Rigit

Nov 10, 2020
Nla
Ownership

1. 700-4
So I guess I'll give my two cents because I was in your position 6 months ago. I bought Honda because every Honda I have ever been around runs forever!!!!
Every Polaris I ever owned or used needed to be worked on constantly. My Yamaha's like Honda just keep going and going. But the 700 is my first SxS. I did no research and knew very little about SxS's! But the dealer had 1 700 deluxe coming in and didn't know when another one would arrive. So I put my money down and a few weeks latter I was the proud new owner $13,200 with roof and front windshield.
#1 did not have enough ground clearance for my style of ridding= bigger tiers 12"x27" and spring spacers.
#2 to narrow for rutted roads= wheel spacer.
#3 because of bigger tiers at around 6500 feet in elevation it did not have enough power to climb over even modestly rough terrain.= bigger tiers & wheels 14" x 28" so I could accommodate portals
#4 speedometer now screwed up reading 10 MPH fast = add speed health to fix speedo now shift points all F#@*ed up!
So my cheap ass did not want to dump 20k plus on a 1k or a Talion so now instead I'm pushing 30k for a 700?????????????
my advice would be go some place that rents SxS's and rent a few different types and ride them in that environment. Then think about the kind of area and style of ridding you will be or plan to be ridding in. Then come back and ask us all the questions you have and we will be much more helpful to you.
The people on hear are an Amazing resource as well as a wealth of knowledge.
I love to modify the crap out of everything I own but I am really kicking my own ass over this one. There is so much more to deciding what SxS is best for you than style and CC guess that's why there are so many different makes and model's
Good luck to you in your quest

My only real problem is no Lo range had I known before paying for it I would never have bought the 700 in the first place. I spend a lot of time in Lo range on my 4 wheelers. I actually didn't even notice it didn't have it for about a week after taking possession of it. My bad now I get to pay the price for my lack of research 🤑
I used to think as I got older I became wiser but almost 50 now and nope still a dumb ass🤓
That is a good point caverat. It is a good aspect to know before purchasing. In my use I have never needed that aspect but I feel sure many might. I have gone through rocks in Arkansas and mud in Louisiana and the power of the 700 hasn't let me down. I have overpowered the grip of the tires a lot and having a lower gear wouldn't have helped a bit. First gear will hold going down hill but will not hold you back like a true low gear will. But that is my usage and knowing the need differs for different people having all the facts is a good thing.

C

caverat

Feb 3, 2021
Montana
Ownership

1. 700-2
That is a good point caverat. It is a good aspect to know before purchasing. In my use I have never needed that aspect but I feel sure many might. I have gone through rocks in Arkansas and mud in Louisiana and the power of the 700 hasn't let me down. I have overpowered the grip of the tires a lot and having a lower gear wouldn't have helped a bit. First gear will hold going down hill but will not hold you back like a true low gear will. But that is my usage and knowing the need differs for different people having all the facts is a good thing.
Ya I am seriously envious of you low land guys you all seam to be getting on with plenty of power. And the 700 does ok at my house witch is at 5000 feet but not so well once you get get much up out of town and with 28's stick a fork in it at 6500feet with the stock 25s it did ok up to 8k. High elevation is hard for any internal combustion engine just something we have to learn to over come. Thin air is a b****

B

Bendboater

May 14, 2021
Bend, Oregon
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Good point on the elevation affecting power of a machine. I live at 3500 feet and pretty much everything is up from here.

R

Rigit

Nov 10, 2020
Nla
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ya I am seriously envious of you low land guys you all seam to be getting on with plenty of power. And the 700 does ok at my house witch is at 5000 feet but not so well once you get get much up out of town and with 28's stick a fork in it at 6500feet with the stock 25s it did ok up to 8k. High elevation is hard for any internal combustion engine just something we have to learn to over come. Thin air is a b****
Yeah I hear it makes a big difference when getting up into higher elevations. It takes a good size hill around here to get me above sea level. :). The 700 doesn't have a lot of hp to give up.

R

Rigit

Nov 10, 2020
Nla
Ownership

1. 700-4
I will say to the OP that the 700 may have the lowest HP for a SxS on the market. They have done a lot to make it work really good for what it is. For close to the same price you can get more HP than the 700 but I believe the 700 fills a nitch that other SxS can't and that is what makes it so good for someone like me. It met my criteria. I will say one more thing. If I could have afforded what I wanted it would have probably been a Yamaha Wolverine rmax4. Very nice and really fits the term "crossover" between utility like the pioneer and sport like the talon. I have ridden and driven one that a friend of mine has and it was at the top of my list but couldn't justify the price. It doesn't have a dump bed and I do use the one on the 700 but not as much as I thought I would. That would probably not be such a deal breaker as it was when I purchased the 700. I also didn't think I would be hitting the trials as much as I am starting to and that would have shaped my purchase a little differently. Hondas are nice and I really like a lot of aspects of them but there are a bunch of really nice machines out there if you don't mind opening up your walled just a tad bit more.

osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hp can be misleading. It is how it used and put to the ground. The old Ford 300 inline 6cylinder comes to mind. Not the biggest hp numbers but would out pull many v8 with more hp.

R

Rigit

Nov 10, 2020
Nla
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hp can be misleading. It is how it used and put to the ground. The old Ford 300 inline 6cylinder comes to mind. Not the biggest hp numbers but would out pull many v8 with more hp.
You are right. The 700 definitely plays a step above its weight class. I am happy with mine and it fits my needs perfectly.

advertisement
osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
I will say to the OP that the 700 may have the lowest HP for a SxS on the market. They have done a lot to make it work really good for what it is. For close to the same price you can get more HP than the 700 but I believe the 700 fills a nitch that other SxS can't and that is what makes it so good for someone like me. It met my criteria. I will say one more thing. If I could have afforded what I wanted it would have probably been a Yamaha Wolverine rmax4. Very nice and really fits the term "crossover" between utility like the pioneer and sport like the talon. I have ridden and driven one that a friend of mine has and it was at the top of my list but couldn't justify the price. It doesn't have a dump bed and I do use the one on the 700 but not as much as I thought I would. That would probably not be such a deal breaker as it was when I purchased the 700. I also didn't think I would be hitting the trials as much as I am starting to and that would have shaped my purchase a little differently. Hondas are nice and I really like a lot of aspects of them but there are a bunch of really nice machines out there if you don't mind opening up your walled just a tad bit more.
I dont need 4 up seating but funny thing is I was looking hard at the wolverine. Really liked it but that little voice said do you really need it and so I told my wife not really. LOL Not really my wife's voice is not little and she doesnt care what I buy

R

Rigit

Nov 10, 2020
Nla
Ownership

1. 700-4
I dont need 4 up seating but funny thing is I was looking hard at the wolverine. Really liked it but that little voice said do you really need it and so I told my wife not really. LOL Not really my wife's voice is not little and she doesnt care what I buy
Sounds like me! The Wolverines are nice but I didn't need anything like that either. They tried to make a pretty good deal on one for me. I looked hard at the pioneer 1000 too. They are really nice. I can't say I wouldn't change what I have after seeing what this thing can do but I will say the shocks are not good at all. I believe they are oil filled and not gas. I am already changing mine. I didn't want to spend $1500 to over $2000 for new shocks so trying a lesser brand and am hoping the mixed reviews for them won't bite me. That is one thing most everyone on this site said I would be doing but they really seamed fine to me. Found out pretty quickly how weak they really were after hitting some rocky trails in Arkansas. I think you may have to take that into consideration if you decide on the 700.

Reactions: osobad
osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
Sounds like me! The Wolverines are nice but I didn't need anything like that either. They tried to make a pretty good deal on one for me. I looked hard at the pioneer 1000 too. They are really nice. I can't say I wouldn't change what I have after seeing what this thing can do but I will say the shocks are not good at all. I believe they are oil filled and not gas. I am already changing mine. I didn't want to spend $1500 to over $2000 for new shocks so trying a lesser brand and am hoping the mixed reviews for them won't bite me. That is one thing most everyone on this site said I would be doing but they really seamed fine to me. Found out pretty quickly how weak they really were after hitting some rocky trails in Arkansas. I think you may have to take that into consideration if you decide on the 700.
Yea I immediately changed to some low hr commander shocks. Got built in lift and unbelievable ride difference. I just acquired some elka shocks from a freind who was trading his in . Gave him my stocks to put on. With the elka I put on the strong made bracket lift as I am running 29 inch tires. The elkas are good but it shows just how good of an up grade the commanders are for the money. I have not decided what I am going to do with my commander shocks or maybe sale the elka

R

Rigit

Nov 10, 2020
Nla
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yea I immediately changed to some low hr commander shocks. Got built in lift and unbelievable ride difference. I just acquired some elka shocks from a freind who was trading his in . Gave him my stocks to put on. With the elka I put on the strong made bracket lift as I am running 29 inch tires. The elkas are good but it shows just how good of an up grade the commanders are for the money. I have not decided what I am going to do with my commander shocks or maybe sale the elka
I did the strong made lift also. Man I would have taken those elkas off your hands in a heartbeat if I wouldn't have gotten these others. They say timing is everything but I have never been very good at it.

Reactions: osobad
osobad

osobad

Lifetime Member
Nov 23, 2020
Tampa Bay Florida
Ownership

1. 700-2
I did the strong made lift also. Man I would have taken those elkas off your hands in a heartbeat if I wouldn't have gotten these others. They say timing is everything but I have never been very good at it.
There nice but knowing what I know I would tell people either spend money on at least stage 3 or get the walker evans or higher end fox if you could not find a pair of commander shocks

R

Rigit

Nov 10, 2020
Nla
Ownership

1. 700-4
There nice but knowing what I know I would tell people either spend money on at least stage 3 or get the walker evans or higher end fox if you could not find a pair of commander shocks
I hope I not going to have to end up buying the Fox QS3's in the end after these off brands fail. :rolleyes:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!