P1000 Hand Winch vs Electric???

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Are you going to stay with the cable or go to rope? I'd go with rope, everything is easier. Replace the cable before you ever use it, so the cable doesn't get a chance to gouge up your fairlead and spindle first.
You know, I don't know. I worked with large equipment with large wire cable and I know it can get you pretty good if you don't have good gloves on. I may keep the wire, I know how to care for it and it won't rot in the sun.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Are you going to stay with the cable or go to rope? I'd go with rope, everything is easier. Replace the cable before you ever use it, so the cable doesn't get a chance to gouge up your fairlead and spindle first.
I don't know. I've worked with cable winches on large equipment and I know how to care for it. I would think this thing would last as long and as the machine, I hope. I checked out your build. You didn't miss anything. Sounds nice. I wish the people that design the dam things and test them would have figured out a lot of the little things like the bed rattle and so. But over all, I like is better than my 825i gator I had. And the gator was an great machine.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Bighat - when I referred to the wire gouging up your winch, what I meant was that if you decide to go to rope later, those gouges will chew at your rope. So if you want to go to rope, do it before the first use.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@Bighat - when I referred to the wire gouging up your winch, what I meant was that if you decide to go to rope later, those gouges will chew at your rope. So if you want to go to rope, do it before the first use.
My Warn 4500 has wire and and a plug in remote, no dash toggle. The plugin is in the glove box, which I don't like. I bet you could wire it to a toggle. When I first saw the synthetic rope I was skeptical, and it proved out and is a lot safer than cable, if it snaps / breaks during a pull it loses energy really fast and causes less injuries. So I'm going to try a synthetic for the first time. The fairlead for a cable has rollers, the fairlead for synthetic is just a smooth oblong device for the rope to guide through.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just run the roller fairlead with my rope, but it was never chewed up by cable in the first place. As long as it's not pinching in at a corner between two rollers, it's fine. Never been a problem.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I was running a roller fair lead on my HF winch with synthetic line until last spring when the bottom roller locked up. Likely from 2 seasons of plowing. Switched it out to a smooth one. I really can’t tell the difference.

Plowing sure cycles the rope hard even with an extra pulley and hooking at a high point on the bumper.

advertisement
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My Warn 4500 has wire and and a plug in remote, no dash toggle. The plugin is in the glove box, which I don't like. I bet you could wire it to a toggle. When I first saw the synthetic rope I was skeptical, and it proved out and is a lot safer than cable, if it snaps / breaks during a pull it loses energy really fast and causes less injuries. So I'm going to try a synthetic for the first time. The fairlead for a cable has rollers, the fairlead for synthetic is just a smooth oblong device for the rope to guide through.

My SE came the same way. The OEM plug in cord is next to worthless (I kept is as a back up). I used a $20 wireless receiver, THIS ONE

Works great, range is a least as far as winch rope (haven't checked further). However, it is advisable to installed switched power to the receiver itself to eliminate any possibility of RFI causing unintended winch operation. I have the keychain remote on the sxs keychain.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone got any thoughts on this. I have a new PK3, full hard cab and mostly used on the farm. I've own JD Gators for the past 20 years and I've only been stuck in the mud a handfull or so times. But it was no big deal, just wall back to the barn and get the tractor. Now I'm thinking of going other places where I don't have the option on going back to the barn to get the tractor so I been looking long and hard at winches. From what I can tell, all winches for UTV's are made in China, including Warn. All but Ramsey, which is to large to mount in the factory bumper area on the 1000 pioneer.
I have two problems. One I don't like to buy from China and two, the cost and maintenance for an electric winch and all the other items you'll need to run it. I'm not just talking the winch cost. You guys know. Dual batteries, winch mount, voltmeters, cleaning and waterproofing maintenance, etc. And from what I seen, through testing, electric winches kill your battery very fast.
Also, I'm older, and my mud running days are over. I'll go through the mud when I think I've got a 90% chance of making it but not when you have no chance at all. But as life is the unexpected gets you every now and then, and boom, your stuck. So look at this. You don't get hung up much, you don't have all the maintenance and you don't have all the cost of an electric winch. But, when you do get hung up you've got more hand work and more time involved with recovery. Something neat through is your also talking about rear recovery and side recovery with the hand winch. I been weighing the these options and I've went back and forth but I think I've come all the way around again and the hand winch will work better for me. Your thoughts?
I'm a farmer, so the hand winch would be good for other chores around the farm. Pulling stumps, etc. Check out the website of the hand puller I've landed on: Order Online! | The More Power Puller® by The Wyeth-Scott Company.
Here's a picture: View attachment 327941
Bighat: Sorry that my late post may be behind where this thread has gone. In newspeak, the sight of this is a double trigger. It's a modernist synthetic take on the old, wire-rope cable jack.

I've worked a cable jack to stretch dozens of miles of barbwire and have tensioned well over a mile of chain link fence with a cable jack on many jobs. But I've never, ever, been able to recover a stuck vehicle with a cable jack - and that includes just a three-wheeler.

The problems with SxS's are both the anchor point reach for the recovery and the heft to pull a 1,700# vehicle far enough to drive out.

What I'm really saying is that the two real options are to get an electric winch or never go deep unless you're with a friend who has one. ✌️

Last edited:
Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Bighat: Sorry that my late post may be behind where this thread has gone. In newspeak, the sight of this is a double trigger. It's a modernist synthetic take on the old, wire-rope cable jack.

I've worked a cable jack to stretch dozens of miles of barbwire and have tensioned well over a mile of chain link fence with a cable jack on many jobs. But I've never, ever, been able to recover a stuck vehicle with a cable jack - and that includes just a three-wheeler.

The problems with SxS's are both the anchor point reach for the recovery and the heft to pull a 1,700# vehicle far enough to drive out.

What I'm really saying is that the two real options are to get an electric winch or never go deep unless you're with a friend who has one. ✌️
You mean it takes a lot muscle to pull that weight. I'm old on muscle, I went with the electric.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My SE came the same way. The OEM plug in cord is next to worthless (I kept is as a back up). I used a $20 wireless receiver, THIS ONE

Works great, range is a least as far as winch rope (haven't checked further). However, it is advisable to installed switched power to the receiver itself to eliminate any possibility of RFI causing unintended winch operation. I have the keychain remote on the sxs keychain.
Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The Ramsey come with a dash switch but the 12' plug in is extra. That's why I was thinking about a remote. It would be nice to be out of the line of fire sometimes. I understand about the safety and at sometime I may go with rope but if I use this on the farm dragging dead trees off fence, I thinking I going to try the wire rope out first.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The Ramsey come with a dash switch but the 12' plug in is extra. That's why I was thinking about a remote. It would be nice to be out of the line of fire sometimes. I understand about the safety and at sometime I may go with rope but if I use this on the farm dragging dead trees off fence, I thinking I going to try the wire rope out first.
Makes since! In the heavy equipment cabling what do you use for safety as far as cable safety?

Bighat

Bighat

Nov 25, 2021
Gallipolis Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I didn't know that. That sucks. I kinda wanted to try the wire out because I'll end up using it more on the farm than on a trail ride.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I didn't know that. That sucks. I kinda wanted to try the wire out because I'll end up using it more on the farm than on a trail ride.
How bout using a short chain for the abuse end? That's what I will be doing, working around the place, nothing grips like a chain when properly wrapped around trees that you want to drag.

Last edited:
advertisement