HARD SHIFT (Automatic mode)

D

Danno13154

Oct 23, 2017
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Hello, I'm Danno13154

I am new to Honda I just bought a 2017 p500 (for $5889!! Can you believe it?) and i love it. My only concern is in automatic mode I am almost thrown out of the machine every time it shifts. The dealer told me it will shift hard until it is broken in. Is this true or is there something i can adjust? I have watched videos on clutch adjustment but don't want to do anything until i hear from you guys. I only have 20 miles on it so far.

Here is a little info about me to begin with!
Honda SxS ownership : Yes, this is my first.
I have owned, or currently own the following: UTV
My off-road experience level is: Novice
My favorite place to ride is: around the deer lease

R-Lamm

R-Lamm

Lifetime Member
Sep 27, 2017
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from SC!!!

Don't think you are alone there. I am in same boat...breaking mine in and it does shift pretty hard in AM. Rumor has that once we do the first maintenance on it that it makes a WORLD of difference. Mine is easing up some already and I have not hit my maintenance yet. My plan was to "break it in" then do my maintenance and see if then I need to make my adjustments. That is my plan I formulated from LOTS of research on here and listening to folks with a LOT more experience! :) Great people here who love to help ya out when they can!

Congrats on new machine! Awesome deal (but that is just the start of it ;)) and glad to see another P500 on here!!! Have fun!!!

Bigtee

Bigtee

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2017
Grayson, KY
Ownership

1. 520

2. 1000-5
Welcome from Kentucky

J

JTW

That’s a great deal!! It will get better but it’s never a “smooth” shift... it’s basically like a Forman with electric thumb shift and they’re a little clunky at times.

Reactions: R-Lamm
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum there is a lot of good information and people on here.

Your shifting will smooth out considerably after the first 50 hours of riding.

I

Inflex

Nov 1, 2017
WA
Ownership

1. 500
I have the same problem on a brand new 2017 P5. Upshifts are fairly smooth, but the downshifts are literally hard enough launch me from the seat if I were braking hard.

Another P5 (with about 20 miles on it) that I test drove was even worse. Both upshifts and downshifts were horribly jerky, like dropping the clutch at low RPMs.

It just doesn't feel right. I'll try adjusting the clutch tonight and report back with any findings...

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Howdy from Edmond, OK and welcome. I have a 2016 P500, and I agree with the above comments, that it shifts a lot smoother with time. You got a smoking deal on that thing. Would you mind telling me what dealer? I'll go to them first, if I ever upgrade.

advertisement
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yes, it will get much better. Once broken in, synthetic oil will help quite a bit.

D

Danno13154

Oct 23, 2017
Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
Update: I have 40 miles on this machine. The shifting is getting much better.

I

Inflex

Nov 1, 2017
WA
Ownership

1. 500
Good to hear. Clutch adjustment made no difference.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!