Heat Control - Thermal Barrier Coating

G

gone_riding2

Aug 7, 2021
US
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Has anyone tried getting their exhaust coated to reduce cabin heat? Did you notice any difference?

These places claim decent to significant heat radiation temperature reduction by keeping it in the tube and going out the exhaust usually with a ceramic type coating.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Has anyone tried getting their exhaust coated to reduce cabin heat? Did you notice any difference?

These places claim decent to significant heat radiation temperature reduction by keeping it in the tube and going out the exhaust usually with a ceramic type coating.
Take any "claim" that anybody makes about their products with a HUGE grain of salt. Mostly sales talk. Did they stop claiming all the power advantages like they used to in the past? Now they are peddling "heat radiation reduction"? What next, noise reduction too???

For comparison, I wrapped my exhaust at one point (same basic concept) and it helped a little (very little to be honest). Although there is heat from the rear, the main heat source that you need to control is from the front, not the back. Short of relocating the radiator to the rear, the DEI Heat Kit and the Shifter Boot mod are the best options for the money in my opinion. And the DEI kit comes with a rear heat shield for behind the passenger seat. The shifter boot mod is the best $20 and 1 hour you can spend to alleviate heat intrusion.

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have used the ceramic coating on the exhaust of pipe of a ATV I had that did help.
My wife would complain of the heat from the plastic side next to the exhaust pipe on her leg and after coating she no longer complained.
I have a riding partner that had a problem on his 800 RZR that the pipe was melting the plastic behind the seat and had the pipe ceramic coated and it stopped the problem.
I can notice a large difference on my exhaust headers on the street rod from coated and uncoated..
So I can see a very good improvement in felt radiant heat...DRK

Reactions: Rayger143
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
DEI header wrap works for me. 🤷‍♂️
20210823 221529

HROY60

HROY60

Feb 18, 2021
wyoming
Ownership

1. Talon R
Finally rode a decent ride today (95 miles). I have to say the DEI kit made a difference for me. Behind the passenger was a 95% improvement, before the kit I could barely put my hand back there. As far as the front part of the kit, I feel it helped out 85% - 90% of the heat coming through the cracks of the fire wall. I will say you that you will still have to apply the shift boot mod for the best result. Hope this helps.

D

Deathcure

Jan 12, 2021
WV
Ownership

1. Talon X
I tried painting and wrap on mine with the hmf full exhaust. Paint burnt off in 1 short ride header tape lasted 2 weeks

Reactions: Smitty335
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Get you a 4 seater and the heat problem is solved, especially if you boot the shift gate as @TerryH documents in a shop video….

Reactions: TerryH
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I tried painting and wrap on mine with the hmf full exhaust. Paint burnt off in 1 short ride header tape lasted 2 weeks

?

I wrapped my HMF exhaust with DEI header wrap at the beginning of the race season and have had zero problems with it. I didn't use the paint they recommended either. Pulled it off last month to add 02 bungs and then rewrapped it with fresh stuff. If I didn't have to do the bungs the original stuff would still be there. I also don't aim the power washer directly at it and blow holes in the wrap.... Maybe that has something to do with it lasting.

20210823 221529

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!