Heat in cab

tradhunter

tradhunter

Feb 24, 2016
wyo
If you put your hand at the back of the seat while driving, you can feel the heat coming from under the seat due to the big openings under the seat. I have been trying to come up with a cover for the open holes and I think that will stop most of the heat. When the unit is stopped, the heated air flow stops. Also that is where the dust is coming from that gets all over the back on your pants and seat backs.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
At least this ride isn't near as bad as the pioneer 700. That thing was like riding in a vortex of dust!

edstoy

edstoy

Dec 20, 2015
Middle Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I removed the plastic panel and insulated. This is good up to 800 degrees
Vehicle Thermal Insulation, with Heat Wave Pro™ | Second Skin Audio, Made in the USA.

IMG 1408

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
@edstoy - Did that make a big difference in the heat you felt? I'm thinking of doing the same.

I could have used some extra air movement in the cab yesterday. I might try to add some air vents thru the access panel close to the floor between the driver and passenger. I would have to route some hose to an air intake somewhere up and forward.

edstoy

edstoy

Dec 20, 2015
Middle Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@edstoy - Did that make a big difference in the heat you felt? I'm thinking of doing the same.

I could have used some extra air movement in the cab yesterday. I might try to add some air vents thru the access panel close to the floor between the driver and passenger. I would have to route some hose to an air intake somewhere up and forward.

We think it helped a lot. Rode about 15 miles this afternoon and the plastic is warm to the touch but not as hot as before. Honda has some foam in the middle back of the plastic panel but I removed it and used the insulation along the complete panel. I just cut slits for the seat belts. I had a piece left and put it on the bottom of the center seat.

Reactions: Stauvo
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What is your skid plate situation? I have wondered if installing the full underbody protection helped or hindered with heat dissipation.

edstoy

edstoy

Dec 20, 2015
Middle Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've got the full honda aluminum skid plates. two piece windshield and rear hard panel on the 3 seater.

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For members with high heat issues. It must be a vacuum in the engine bay same as dust is with windshield. Since I do not have one to look at yet is there any way a short snorkel or intake directed down to neutralize the vacuum?
I once owned a 91 454 chevy and the manifolds would cook everything under the hood as it ran so hot. My mechanic said some RV guys would jimmy in some pipe to force cool air downward and out bottom.

edstoy

edstoy

Dec 20, 2015
Middle Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The wife is convinced it made a lot of difference. I know it is cooler to the touch after riding 14 miles straight on Sunday with the ambient temperature around 80. this insulation also helped seal around the seat belts which stopped a lot of heat from coming in there. I would definitely do it again but it still will get warm.

advertisement
S

SteveParadis

Jan 13, 2016
There is heat in the seat on my 1000-5 for sure. Nice now but not in August. Will try to insulate after looking into it. My dog loved it!

franzw

franzw

Jan 2, 2016
pacific nothwest
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It does slightly. If you sit all the way back in the sit your butt touches the plastic I am referring to. It's strange though because sometimes it's really bad, and others it's not bad at all. If you touch the plastic with your hand it is definitely hot.
Sounds like it could catch on fire or burn plastic? Has anyone had any luck running some sort of foil insulated material under front seat? Even heavy foil should help some....7

ofrcboy

ofrcboy

Lifetime Member
Nov 27, 2015
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
R

Rocky

Jun 21, 2016
Dothan, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just purchased a Honda Pioneer 1000 - 5 Deluxe 2 days ago. I'm extremely disappointed with the heat in the cabin. It is so extensive it is unbearable after 30 minutes of riding at night in the South when the temperature is in the 80's. Considering that I have over 20 k in the machine and accessories, I am considering my 3-day right of rescission tomorrow morning and returning this machine to the Honda dealer. I foresee a huge class action lawsuit against Honda. The fuel cell gets extremely hot also. I'm not quite sure how safe this machine is.

edstoy

edstoy

Dec 20, 2015
Middle Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I am in south georgia and once i insulated the seat and we removed the windshield for the summer riding, I have not had a problem with heat, no worse than my sisters 700 polaris. With the windshield on and very little airflow in the cab, the heat would be unbearable.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just purchased a Honda Pioneer 1000 - 5 Deluxe 2 days ago. I'm extremely disappointed with the heat in the cabin. It is so extensive it is unbearable after 30 minutes of riding at night in the South when the temperature is in the 80's. Considering that I have over 20 k in the machine and accessories, I am considering my 3-day right of rescission tomorrow morning and returning this machine to the Honda dealer. I foresee a huge class action lawsuit against Honda. The fuel cell gets extremely hot also. I'm not quite sure how safe this machine is.

Are you running a full cab in the summer? That is the only way I can see you having a real heat problem. I live in North Louisiana with similar temps as you, and me, the wife, and kids just went for a 6 hour ride (55 miles) last Saturday and it never got more than warm. No complaints from anybody except if we went through water deep enough to create steam from the engine/exhaust - and that was very temporary. We even have a full skid plate from Factory UTV. We are not running a windshield or roof. Our average speed is about 9 miles/hour, so there is some airflow. There are times we are running slower, and times we are running much faster.

Give us more info..........

perry

perry

Jun 13, 2016
South Dakota
Ownership

1. Talon R
The heat gets worse the longer you ride. The longer you ride the trails the rubber shield is all that keeps the heat off your back. help Honda lets fix this problem. This will be a bigger problem when someone try to put some insulation under the seat and it cause a fire! OR it melts the rubber on your back.

Reactions: Rocky
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!