P1000 Heavy duty batteries

S

Samuel_-89

Dec 25, 2019
Georgia
Ownership

1. 500
Anybody have suggestions on heavy duty battery for p1k,I have two batteries in mine but when using the winch it will pull it down quick on a heavy load,wish they were like the first gen where they had space big enough for car/truck battery

Reactions: Lady01
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can run a big battery if you put it under your drivers seat.

Seems odd that you're not getting enough power for winching from a dual battery, though. Are you running your motor while winching?

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can run a big battery if you put it under your drivers seat.
Seems odd that you're not getting enough power for winching from a dual battery, though. Are you running your motor while winching?

If you can run the engine, that's a good idea for a couple of reasons, but keep in mind that the engine's charging system can provide about 50 amps max, and that's at 5,000 rpm. Then consider that the Warn 4,500 lb winch on my SE draws about 216 amps at full load, 135 amps at 2,500, 71 amps at 1,000, 49 amps at 500, and 28 amps just winding the line back in with no load.

You can see that the darn winch uses a bunch of current. It's a compromise for sure. The second reason to run the engine, if you can, is after winching you don't want to be in a position where you can't start the motor - - if you have a True isolator (or similar) that will allow the primary battery to "help" with the aux battery load while still keeping the main battery from suffering deep discharge.

Lead acid batteries lose service life when heated. "This reduces service life at a rate of 50% for every 18°F (10°C) increase from 77°F (25°C)". When locating a battery, especially in what is likely to be a hot environment (such as under the seat), reduced service life may be a consideration.

Reactions: Hawk53
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
p1k,I have two batteries in mine
Welcome from Mi, And congrats 🥳
on your first ever post since joining over 3 years ago! We like pics of your rig when you first post.…well being here 3 yrs you know that 😂 as the saying goes…
Pics Or It Didnt Happen!

Where gonna work smarter not harder here on your question. A few things to clear up before we proceed with engineering 101 😂 need more info.
#1 How big is the Wench you have
#2 what are you trying to yank out with it and what method are you doing it to kill that battery?
#3 how old is the battery, machine?
why we say POIDH ;)
#4 how do u have the winch hooked up, to the main batt or the secondary?
and last but not least,
#5 what type/brand and size is that secondary batt and what other accessories are u running/have on when your using the winch?

Test - Grid

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!