P1000 HELP!!! Idling High and won't shift into gears

Kenjones21

Kenjones21

Jun 23, 2015
Central Louisiana
Ok long story short I was checking my air filter this evening and had a bolt that was stripped , I had to remove the top part of my seat and get the bolt out, after I was done and put it back together I backed it out of shop and it started idling high and wouldn't shift into High or Low range , turned bike off and shifted into high and drove it around yard and still idling high and wont' shift into Low or anything without turning it off, cant' imagine anything I could have done will checking air filter to cause this, only thing is its cold outside.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ok long story short I was checking my air filter this evening and had a bolt that was stripped , I had to remove the top part of my seat and get the bolt out, after I was done and put it back together I backed it out of shop and it started idling high and wouldn't shift into High or Low range , turned bike off and shifted into high and drove it around yard and still idling high and wont' shift into Low or anything without turning it off, cant' imagine anything I could have done will checking air filter to cause this, only thing is its cold outside.
Air filter / fresh air leak somewhere. From what I understand there is no idle adjustment on these.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Maybe the idle air control valve is unplugged or stuck. That's assuming they have one. I remember the P700 has one.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
How high is it idling? Check the throttle cable and make sure it's not in a bind. Make sure the throttle is going back to its stop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah my petal sticks just a fuzz but it's enough to screw up the shifting...

Kenjones21

Kenjones21

Jun 23, 2015
Central Louisiana
Update, I pulled the bike back into my shop lifted up the bed couldn't see anything , cranked bike back up and everything seems fine, checked it again today and still seems fine, any ideas of what could have called this??

Reactions: Smitty335
Kenjones21

Kenjones21

Jun 23, 2015
Central Louisiana
How high is it idling? Check the throttle cable and make sure it's not in a bind. Make sure the throttle is going back to its stop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it was idling at about 2200 or so, no real high but high enough that bike would move without giving it gas , Where is the throttle cable at?

chadbo

chadbo

Mama tried
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2015
Seminary , Ms
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My problem is with the spring so for now I've wedged it with hose for more pressure

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Update, I pulled the bike back into my shop lifted up the bed couldn't see anything , cranked bike back up and everything seems fine, checked it again today and still seems fine, any ideas of what could have called this??
Maybe the soles on your shoes were thicker? HA

T

Tritonman

Dec 2, 2013
I had a similar thing and there is a process for the computer to learn how much pressure to put on the clutch plates is the way I understood it. I took it to the dealer and they ran a sequence of things and it was fixed immediately.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!