P500 Help with new tires and wheels

L

Len

Oct 20, 2015
Hello all!

I am interested in replacing my stock tires and wheels on my Pioneer 500.

-I want to make all four tires and wheels the same size. (For ease of rotation and carrying of spare)
-I DO NOT want to modify the frame or add any spacers or anything of the sort.
-I just need to know what size rims (plain steel is fine) and tires to purchase that will not rub or need modifications.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Len

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Big Horns make a 2.0 in 28 x 10. Don't know if they'd rub or not but might be the biggest tire you can run that don't weigh a ton. 5+2 rims would work.

L

Len

Oct 20, 2015
Big Horns make a 2.0 in 28 x 10. Don't know if they'd rub or not but might be the biggest tire you can run that don't weigh a ton. 5+2 rims would work.
So a 27x10 should clear without any questions, right?

Reactions: Gassygordo
L

Len

Oct 20, 2015
So a 27x10 should clear without any questions, right?
Also when I look at tires there is an additional number on the size. For instance 27x10x12. Not sure what all the numbers mean.

mrjeff42

mrjeff42

Mar 22, 2015
lagrange georgia
Ownership

1. 500
Height x Width X Rim Diameter
all
Hello all!

-I want to make all four tires and wheels the same size. (For ease of rotation and carrying of spare)
-I just need to know what size rims (plain steel is fine) and tires to purchase that will not rub or need modifications.

-Len
Hello all!

-Len
not really a simple question.... every tire maker seems to measure tires differently ..... some say 27" and really measure 27 1/2 or 26 1/2....its crazy.... i have had 2 pioneer 500's.... i have put 27" mudlites on one and 27' vampires 2 on my new one.... they do not rub at all....i always wanted to try 28'" ...... but what i would say is figure out what tire you want and ask someone that's running that tire.... i went with 27" vampire 2 tires....9"wide on all four corners......14" HD wheels.......27x9x14..... also a spare to match
Hello all!

-Len

Last edited:
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Hello all!

-Len

Len,

Stock rims on the Pioneer are 12" and factory wheels/tires would be 24x8x12 front and 24x10x12 on rear. The first number is tire height, the middle number is width and last number rim size. Personally and if I were going to run the same tire all the way around the unit would be a 25x9x12 or 26x9x12. I would avoid anything wider than 9" for the width, because the tire will be sticking out further on the front, so mud will be slinging up the side even more so than with stock tires.

Reactions: NitroxDiver
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I would avoid anything wider than 9" for the width, because the tire will be sticking out further on the front, so mud will be slinging up the side even more so than with stock tires.

If you're going up you need to go out as well, this machine is pretty tippy out of the gate. As for being wider in the front, nothing that some spacers can't take care of. If I were doing it again I would give those 28 x 10 BH 2.0's a good look. FWIW.

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
If your not going to use spacers I would stick with a 25" tall tire.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Not sure I showed this, but I ended up with a new set of 25" take off tires off a Polaris Ranger 900XP and put them on my 12" rims. I only have $40 bucks in this and will ride it for a while.....
Pioneer 500A

lwhite571

lwhite571

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2016
Central, IN
Ownership

1. 500
I think some 26 x 12 are big enough, but I think that 27" on the stock rims would be too much, because it would be tippy !!
20160919 125702 HDR

'

Last edited:
lwhite571

lwhite571

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 8, 2016
Central, IN
Ownership

1. 500
Those are 12" Wheels

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!