P700 Help won't start

J

jlw79

Jan 15, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
Ok so I last rode my pioneer about 2 weeks ago, no problems whatsoever, just a normal trip to the hunting lease no water other than some puddles. Went out yesterday and it would not start. Tried for 30 minutes and it fired off maybe 6 times an ran for just a second each time. It was dark and cold so as far as I got was trying a little starting fluid in the air intake box and it would run on it but not on it's own. Thought maybe I had water in the fuel line that had frozen because it's been colder than usual here with temps staying below freezing for several days now, but we hit 45 today and I tried to crank it again this afternoon after work and it will not start. Any ideas where I should start looking for the problem?

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Quit using starting fluid on it. are you the first owner

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
What year is it? Ever put in in deep water up to the seat.

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
did it start those six times on its own or did the fluid start it? And I have to ask but is there gas in it?
and if so why do you assume water in gas......

J

jlw79

Jan 15, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
did it start those six times on its own or did the fluid start it? And I have to ask but is there gas in it?
and if so why do you assume water in gas......
Started on its own the 6 times but only ran a few seconds each time 3 seconds at most. Now in between these 6 times there were multiple tries that it did not start, just turned over. At first I just thought it was cold. The tank is on full and I looked in it to double check. It would run a lot longer on the fluid maybe 15 seconds on a squirt. I entertained the idea of water in gas because it has been much colder here than normal and that was the only thing I could think of that could have happened to it because I haven't had it out, but the gas in it is high test, I pumped straight into it at the gas station. I charged the battery all night before I tried it again today, it was showing 100% and had no trouble turning it over.

Reactions: swsebek
D

Deleted member 3748

Like @swsebek is saying... it sounds like a fuel issue. You're thinking water in the fuel and a frozen fuel line. It could be that. It could be the fuel pump. You said it got to 45 degrees. Is your Pioneer in the garage? It probably didn't get warm enough to thaw anything frozen unless it was outside.

It's easy to see if there is water in your fuel. I do it with my boats every Spring. Siphon some of the fuel from of the bottom of the tank into a glass jar. The water will be on the bottom.

Siphon with something like this... not your mouth. ;)
https://amazon.com/Gas-Siphon-Original-Safety-Grade/dp/B01NGTQI4A/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Change Fuel 21

Can you hear the fuel pump buzzing when you turn on the key?

Reactions: swsebek
swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
well it could be water in the fuel pump....but you would have to have a pretty good bit.I would get it in where it can be warmed up for a long time....and then try it....condensation will do this over time...You don't get this cold down there that much so you may have not noticed it till now.........

Reactions: Deleted member 3748
swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
yes Piston is right....you can park on hill passenger side down hill and siphon from bottom of tank and see what come out.

Reactions: Deluxe700
J

jlw79

Jan 15, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
Like @swsebek is saying... it sounds like a fuel issue. You're thinking water in the fuel and a frozen fuel line. It could be that. It could be the fuel pump. You said it got to 45 degrees. Is your Pioneer in the garage? It probably didn't get warm enough to thaw anything frozen unless it was outside.

It's easy to see if there is water in your fuel. I do it with my boats every Spring. Siphon some of the fuel from of the bottom of the tank into a glass jar. The water will be on the bottom.

Siphon with something like this... not your mouth. ;)
https://amazon.com/Gas-Siphon-Original-Safety-Grade/dp/B01NGTQI4A/?tag=sxsweb24-20

View attachment 62112

Can you hear the fuel pump buzzing when you turn on the key?
I did roll it outside this morning, it was in full sun all day with the bed in the dump positoion, doors open and front seat and engine compartment covers removed so the warmer air could get to it. I do hear the fuel pump when I turn the key on too.

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
gonna have to siphon the tank and look for water.....they make a paste you can apply to a dowl rod and probe the tank and it will change color if water is present.....If water is frozen in pump,Im not sure 45 will thaw it out...need topedo heater or somewhere warmer..JMO

J

jlw79

Jan 15, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
Took a chance and went ahead and siphoned all the fuel out with a battery powered pump, it did have some water in it. I refilled it with 5 gallons of new gas and tried it, it took about 3 tries and it fired up. I let it run for about 10 minutes and then drove it a little, seems to be ok now. Gonna get some seafoam tomorrow and add to it. Idk if it was condensation or I got bad gas last time I filled it up but glad it's back running. Thanks for the replies!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!