P500 HID lights install/how to

J

JTW

Well well well..... I got my kit installed this weekend and I got deceiving results.... One side does not always comes on... and when it is on, the intensity varies a lot. I contacted the vendor to see what can be done about this. On the bright side, when they get to be both on, they are very bright....
Man I hate that.. I've got several buddies that put them in after mine and they're still going strong. If they give you grief buy another set swap the ballast out and send them
back. As long as your connections are good. It's sure not your fault!

Martin

Martin

Sep 29, 2015
Mont-Laurier, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Man I hate that.. I've got several buddies that put them in after mine and they're still going strong. If they give you grief buy another set swap the ballast out and send them
back. As long as your connections are good. It's sure not your fault!
They did not like the ride to Canada :)

Reactions: JTW
Martin

Martin

Sep 29, 2015
Mont-Laurier, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Well, that's what happens when you smuggle electronics across the boarder in a tourists ass to avoid shipping and taxes!
:D If that was the case I would not complain.... I paid all taxes, shipping and duties (100$ all together) canadian$$$......

I like your trick and I may try this next time;)

Reactions: FuzzyGrub and JTW
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Well well well..... I got my kit installed this weekend and I got deceiving results.... One side does not always comes on... and when it is on, the intensity varies a lot. I contacted the vendor to see what can be done about this. On the bright side, when they get to be both on, they are very bright....
My first set did the same thing! I sent them back and reordered the 55watt set. After about a month or so no problems.
P.S. i used to leave the headlite switch on, now i turn them on after its idling

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Watch out...
some get really hot
...melts housing..
could cause fire...
Haven't seen it happen
...but heard of it.
when plastic catches fire
....you know the rest..
just sayin

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Wires...of stock headlights
not made to carry wat
watts,,,volts...amps
needed to power your
up grade...
P5 on FIRE....SAD
PoPo on FIRE....WINNIE ROAST

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
35w hid takes less juice then factory. 55 a little more however it should take it fine. The housing is a little small so definitely watch for heat I could agree to that just feel the light after usage and make sure all is good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: joeymt33
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Maybe I will look into mounting the ballast outside the inclosed housing.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hope you have better luck than I did with h.i.d.s at least the cheaper ones I found very unreliable.

advertisement
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
35w hid takes less juice then factory. 55 a little more however it should take it fine. The housing is a little small so definitely watch for heat I could agree to that just feel the light after usage and make sure all is good

That's kool
but there's more bad reviews than good
IMO

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
That's kool
but there's more bad reviews than good
IMO

There's better brands and several out there I've had good luck with and that's what I suggested. In my opinion it's worth a little chance to get rid of that dingy yellow light and get something that actually works. But then again I'm a connoisseur of light

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I agree that there are some brands out there that will produce good results. When I tried it in the Pioneer, it was awful. When I tried it in my truck fog lights, it's was good but not perfect.

I am like CP and a light connoisseur. There are a lot of factors that go into a perfect light. The crap I tried in my P700 had failed on multiple levels. It was a terrible tint, terrible beam, and glare. I've seen pics of the other guys that had much better results.

If you want perfect, you need a light housing that is designed for a HID bulb.

As far as tint goes, there's no right or wrong. Some people prefer the warmer tints (4300 and lower) or Neutral (~5000) or cooler tints around 6500k. Right now it's really hard to get ~4000k tint in HID in a designated housing so I'm not real interested in switching.

Another thought, the cooler tints that are 6000-6500k are harsh on the eyes so they appear brighter but they have more glare and wash out natural colors. So some guys think they are getting more lumens but it may just appear that way.

Yet another thought, I love LED technology. It's not that difficult to have the emitter changed on our P1000 head lights. The right person with the proper knowledge can remove the LED, replace it with one capable of more current, your choice of tint, bump up the current by modding the driver, properly position the LED for beam tuning (think old Maglites) and lastly, modify the dome attached to the LED for even further beam tuning. I've been considering this myself for a 2017 project.

Sorry for the long read but I've got an interest in lighting and can be long winded.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I will say that if I have trouble again with the hids , I will be going the 1000 LED retrofit.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I haven't measured to see if these would go in but if they wouldn't someone spent a little bit of time you could have a bad ass set of headlights with this style
Mini 2.5" H1 Bi-Xenon HID Projector Lens+ Shroud For Headlight Lamp Headlamp DIY | eBay
Mini 2.5" H1 Bi-Xenon HID Projector Lens + RGB LED Kit For Custom Headlight DIY | eBay
Projector beams from European cars work the best but after market is getting a lot better so with a good set of HIDS and a set of these you'd be real good

Reactions: joeymt33
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I haven't measured to see if these would go in but if they wouldn't someone spent a little bit of time you could have a bad ass set of headlights with this style
Mini 2.5" H1 Bi-Xenon HID Projector Lens+ Shroud For Headlight Lamp Headlamp DIY | eBay
Mini 2.5" H1 Bi-Xenon HID Projector Lens + RGB LED Kit For Custom Headlight DIY | eBay
Projector beams from European cars work the best but after market is getting a lot better so with a good set of HIDS and a set of these you'd be real good

Now you're talking. Custom is all we expect from you these days. So, will this be you're next week project?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I had the factory projectors on my canam 800xt atv they were absolutely awsome

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Now you're talking. Custom is all we expect from you these days. So, will this be you're next week project?

Honestly we've talked about this in the past and I'd love to change the large LED inside the factory housing but you'd have to dink with all the rest of them as well. I absolutely hate LED lighting for headlights as compared to H ID. There's just no depth with LED. You look at our light bars and it takes a tremendous amount of LEDs before the distance gets out there. I thought many a times of changing my LED headlights to H ID but there's so much light it doesn't really matter. If I had halogen headlights they be gone instantly

Reactions: JTW
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I had the factory projectors on my canam 800xt atv they were absolutely awsome

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. It's hard to beat an engineered HID housing.

The new LED housings in cars are really coming along nicely. I predict the LEDs will soon take over. We will put HIDs in the same old dusty drawer as music CDs.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!