P1000 high beam switch - near or on steering wheel?

ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Jardín, Antioquia - Colombia, South America!
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Greetings,

I'm in a area where my rig is street legal and also very rural with no street lights.
Flipping from low to high beams is constant at night.
Curios to see if anyone has done any mods to bring the switch closer to the steering wheel.

Reactions: BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Greetings,

I'm in a area where my rig is street legal and also very rural with no street lights.
Flipping from low to high beams is constant at night.
Curios to see if anyone has done any mods to bring the switch closer to the steering wheel.
Haven't done any mods there but I always thought it would be cool to add the the foot button like the old vehicles

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I understand this comment is completely opposite of your idea but, have you thought of something like this????

ThidOIPkL7sdVqm6TDUNxX6J6uStgHaEKw300h168c7o5pid1

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Haven't done any mods there but I always thought it would be cool to add the the foot button like the old vehicles

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
I understand this comment is completely opposite of your idea but, have you thought of something like this????

View attachment 84526
That is still the best spot for a high beam switch imo

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is still the best spot for a high beam switch imo

I vaguely remember reading/hearing a rumor awhile back from my neighbors cousins dentists taxidermists maids dog walker that they were moving back to the floor to free up space on the stalks for other functions.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
I think the hardest part would be the mount. I'd prefer it to be sitting at an angle like the pic. Not familiar with the P1k floor but if it's flat you could fab up an angled box to mount it in.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
with a foot switch on a SXS, I would be more worried about mud and water.

All it would take was one "oops" and you have a electrical switch full of mud and water.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the max fording depth is below the floorboards on the P1k so it should be alright, don’t you think?

Off course never more than 9" of water, I always carry a ruler, but like I said, "OS" , it happens to everyone at some point.

Muddy boots from hunting or mud from a pig pen would be nasty cleaning out of that switch.

advertisement
ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Jardín, Antioquia - Colombia, South America!
Ownership

1. 1000-5
with a foot switch on a SXS, I would be more worried about mud and water.

All it would take was one "oops" and you have a electrical switch full of mud and water.

ahh, dang.. solid point!
my floors are routinely wet and muddy...
Still there must a more elegant solution, cause reaching out to that switch is not very enjoyable.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ahh, dang.. solid point!
my floors are routinely wet and muddy...
Still there must a more elegant solution, cause reaching out to that switch is not very enjoyable.

I think the steering shaft is a standard Honda automotive spline @CumminsPusher knows.

With an adapter and a steering wheel you could always make the “horn button“ on an aftermarket wheel, toggle a relay that would toggle high beams.

Too much effort for what little I use the switch. Mines only ever on low and I use the light bar.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I think the steering shaft is a standard Honda automotive spline @CumminsPusher knows.

With an adapter and a steering wheel you could always make the “horn button“ on an aftermarket wheel, toggle a relay that would toggle high beams.

Too much effort for what little I use the switch. Mines only ever on low and I use the light bar.
Early 90’s Accord and Integra will work. We did get horn button going but it was complicated. I did look into doing the high beam/turn sig stem from same car but it needs more room. I think maybe aftermarket stem or possibly one that mounts to column but you’d lose the cancel feature

Reactions: elkguide and BWAF
Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Off course never more than 9" of water, I always carry a ruler, but like I said, "OS" , it happens to everyone at some point.

Muddy boots from hunting or mud from a pig pen would be nasty cleaning out of that switch.

You make a good point about deep water but I've seen some pretty nasty floorboards in some old farm trucks that have been violated by muck boots. LOL! Wait.... those trucks might not have had working headlights anymore. Oh well!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!