Talon Hill start/I4wd not working

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
So from day 1 my hill start didn't work. I didn't really care since I just 2 foot it when needed.

After a certain thread some of you may know of, there was a consensus that my I4wd wasn't working properly either.

I figured it was probably a loose connection or bad sensor. Well it's been at the dealer for a week and they are supposedly having a hell of a time with it. I guess they have tons and tons of hours into it and can't figure it out. Today they replaced the switch itself and it's still not working.

This is killing me, I bought the thing right after Xmas. So not even a month. This is the 3rd time it's been at the dealer. Feels like half the time I've owned it, it's been at the dealer. I bought a honda to avoid this. All my buddies with their supposedly unreliable Polaris' are out riding. :(

• Sad
Reactions: CID
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Its looks like your not alone, there is 2 more threads at the bottom of the page. I use mine but I don't like to stop on a hill so I don't use it very often. Probably once every 500 miles. My Yamaha YXZ was in the shop a lot too. Yamaha added 6 months to my warranty. Your dealer should get the service rep and tech line involved.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
The only other thread I saw, the guy had added a blinker system that was messing with it.

I don't care about the hill start, but my I4wd doesn't seem to work correctly either. I've heard they work in conjunction with the same sensors, brakes, ect. My idea was if the hill start is fixed, the i-4wd may work.

They have been calling honda tech line multiple times a day.

Is it unreasonable to ask for a loner rig? This will be the 2nd weekend I haven't had a machine.

H

HondaTech

Have they pulled any codes from the machine?

Did the I-4wd light on the dash ever come on and stay on after start up?

The HSA most definately will not operate if the I-4wd isnt working. I had a X model with a bad modulator, but the light came on and staid on. We pulled code for and internal issue and the fix was to replace that modulator.

Reactions: Mudwing
Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Have they pulled any codes from the machine?

-Yes, but from what they told me, they aren't making sense to them. I'm not familiar with the codes on this machine, so I didn't ask specifics. -

Did the I-4wd light on the dash ever come on and stay on after start up?

-I don't recall ever seeing it on, even in the engine off, key on-

The HSA most definately will not operate if the I-4wd isnt working. I had a X model with a bad modulator, but the light came on and staid on. We pulled code for and internal issue and the fix was to replace that modulator.

Interesting, I would think the light being on, would definitely coincide with a code.

I'm not super familiar with the i4wd system. It does seem to work fine most of the time. But I'm not sure if that's mostly just the mechanical limited slip doing most of the work. However, there I have been times where I sat there and watched one front wheel not spin for way too long.

You say hill start won't work if i4wd doesn't, but what about the other way around? My hill start has never worked, would my i4wd be able to work?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I been following.
Ya, totally sucks for sure.
I still think it may come down to a loose wire somewhere.
But I don't know enough about the i4wd system yet to really comment.

H

HondaTech

Interesting, I would think the light being on, would definitely coincide with a code.

I'm not super familiar with the i4wd system. It does seem to work fine most of the time. But I'm not sure if that's mostly just the mechanical limited slip doing most of the work. However, there I have been times where I sat there and watched one front wheel not spin for way too long.

You say hill start won't work if i4wd doesn't, but what about the other way around? My hill start has never worked, would my i4wd be able to work?

The HSA is a function of the I-4wd systems control over the braking force. So if the I-4wd was working, the HSA should've been operating fine.

See if you can get the codes theyve pulled. I'd bet you've got a bad modulator like I had.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
The HSA is a function of the I-4wd systems control over the braking force. So if the I-4wd was working, the HSA should've been operating fine.

See if you can get the codes theyve pulled. I'd bet you've got a bad modulator like I had.

Winner, just got off the phone with them and they have a new module on order. Not sure why it took them almost 2 weeks to figure that out.

Now onto the sub transmission issue :(

H

HondaTech

Winner, just got off the phone with them and they have a new module on order. Not sure why it took them almost 2 weeks to figure that out.

Now onto the sub transmission issue :(

We came to this conclusion pretty quickly on the 1 X we had issues with. But obviously with it being a costly part like that, you want to be sure that's the issue. We checked a few other things as well (sensors, pin fit, etc) before calling Honda and even they weren't 100% sold on being the issue. They wanted us to try a "reset" procedure and that didn't work, so we just ordered the part and that fixed it.

Sometimes you have to question the experts.

Reactions: 906UP and 1HasBeen
Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
We came to this conclusion pretty quickly on the 1 X we had issues with. But obviously with it being a costly part like that, you want to be sure that's the issue. We checked a few other things as well (sensors, pin fit, etc) before calling Honda and even they weren't 100% sold on being the issue. They wanted us to try a "reset" procedure and that didn't work, so we just ordered the part and that fixed it.

Sometimes you have to question the experts.

They have been pretty honest about being green on the talons and even sxs's in general. They were a bike shop for ever and just recently started carrying sxs's

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
M

Mallardman007

Feb 9, 2021
Amador County
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well 2 weeks on the dot, and they got the hill start working by replacing the module.
Bringing out an an old thread, as I have the same issue. Would you by chance have a part number or actual technical name for the "module" or "modulator?" TIA!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!