P1000 Homemade heater

brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
Well after reading on here and seeing that some of you guys have been mounting bilge blowers under the seat to address the heat issue it got my gears turning. I live in Arkansas and last spring i could tell i had the heat issue as well with the front windshield in. I typically take out my windshield in the spring and reinstall in the fall but here in good ole Arkansas it can be 40 one day and 75 the next. So instead of taking it in and out over and over i bought the bilge blower.... Then it hit me. Its 12 volts cant i reverse polarity and move the air the other way? Yes. So i bought a reverse polarity switch and bingo it blows either direction. I put in a piece of 4" aluminum flex to a round grill right behind our legs in the center of the rig. Now i have a blower to dicipate heat in the summer, flip the switch and i have heat in the winter! Check it out works great!

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you tried it in reverse yet? Just wondering how much air it moves like that. I'm sure it'll be less than when in cooling mode. They are designed to flow in one direction. I'm going to reverse mine as well when the temps start dropping.

brock

brock

Feb 3, 2014
Arkansas
Have you tried it in reverse yet? Just wondering how much air it moves like that. I'm sure it'll be less than when in cooling mode. They are designed to flow in one direction. I'm going to reverse mine as well when the temps start dropping.
Yes i have, and your right it is a little less but thats a good thing for heating. Im really suprised at how well it works, honestly i had my doubts.

C

ckhenshaw4

Mar 1, 2014
Living here in Michigan, I could really use some heat while plowing snow. Do you think that this setup would work for heat in the cab?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Living here in Michigan, I could really use some heat while plowing snow. Do you think that this setup would work for heat in the cab?

Honestly I think you're gonna need more heat living in Michigan. Summitracing and some others sells a cheap "racecar" heater setup that is 1/4 the price of factory units. There are couple threads on here with people who have done just that.

oldtrucks

oldtrucks

Mar 15, 2015
Pinehurst Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice install and a good idea. I have one question. What will happen when you are in water or snow and the moisture in the engine bay is pulled into the cab and fogs the windshield?

Reactions: Lady01
T

tylerjohnson

Sep 12, 2021
Hensley, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 20470 View attachment 20471 View attachment 20472 View attachment 20473 Well after reading on here and seeing that some of you guys have been mounting bilge blowers under the seat to address the heat issue it got my gears turning. I live in Arkansas and last spring i could tell i had the heat issue as well with the front windshield in. I typically take out my windshield in the spring and reinstall in the fall but here in good ole Arkansas it can be 40 one day and 75 the next. So instead of taking it in and out over and over i bought the bilge blower.... Then it hit me. Its 12 volts cant i reverse polarity and move the air the other way? Yes. So i bought a reverse polarity switch and bingo it blows either direction. I put in a piece of 4" aluminum flex to a round grill right behind our legs in the center of the rig. Now i have a blower to dicipate heat in the summer, flip the switch and i have heat in the winter! Check it out works great!
couldnt you just buy a on/off/on rocker switch and reverse the wires going to one side? I literally was just telling my wife about this and came across your post.

advertisement
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Winter is coming. I'm glad this thread popped up.

I'd considered doing this as well - a reversible bilge blower right where you put yours and a closable vent in the middle under the seats.
My question is whether you think exhaust is blowing into the cab? We've all sucked the fumes at times under the right conditions, but I just wondered how this worked in practice. I saw a prior poster mentioned doing this into an enclosed cab. Any experience with that?

Thanks again.

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

Hay, that guy hasnt been on since 2019 so he prob wont see your message. To answer your question is No! You need a real SXS heater in our state to make it relevant.

BTW Welcome to the forum fellow Michigander.
Do an intro and post some pics of your rig. #POIDH

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hay, that guy hasnt been on since 2019 so he prob wont see your message. To answer your question is No! You need a real SXS heater in our state to make it relevant.

BTW Welcome to the forum fellow Michigander.
Do an intro and post some pics of your rig. #POIDH

Uhm, are . . .

I responded to Tyler who posted from Arkansas this afternoon. ?
Signed,
Lyft Driver ;)

(Graybeards will get the reference without using the internet.)

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Uhm, are . . .

View attachment 294691

I responded to Tyler who posted from Arkansas this afternoon. ?
Signed,
Lyft Driver ;)

(Graybeards will get the reference without using the internet.)
No i wasn't talking to you lol. I was responding to Tyler as well that the person he tagged hadn't been on the site since 2019.
Its Just a curtesy heads up to newbies posting so they don't expect a response from an MIA lol.

It was very nice of you to respond to his question too ;) 🥳

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had an Atwood 4” bilge fan for cooling until it deformed from the heat and wouldn’t turn anymore. Other individuals have had good luck with these, so I’d recommend mounting the fan as far forward as possible. I now run a 7-1/2” spal fan. Works great so far.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
3 years works great

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tried to imitate the DEI fan and ductwork out through the floor. Guess I mounted it too close to engine. The new spal fan is mounted farther forward and so far works well. here in southern AZ, there isn't a big need for heat. Even on the coldest days, after a half hour of riding there's plenty of heat coming through the shifter holes and brake switch hole. I'm glad you're having better luck with your system.

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD