P1000 Honda Pioneer 1000 Clutch Replacement - A How To Guide!

H

HondaTech

Thanks. No slipping at all. I just want to get on top of it before anything happens. So if everything looks good should I just replace the cover and gasket with the upgraded one? How many miles should you get out of the clutch? Thanks again

There are guys with over 20k on original clutches, maybe even 30k. But if the cover hasn't been updated, I wouldn't install the updated one if the outside clutch looked dark at all.

Brap-tor

Brap-tor

Jan 8, 2023
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There are guys with over 20k on original clutches, maybe even 30k. But if the cover hasn't been updated, I wouldn't install the updated one if the outside clutch looked dark at all.
Okay man thank you that’s good information. I think I’ll just roll with it for now. Should I inspect it when I do the oil change? I do t want to have to order a new gasket if I break it apart

H

HondaTech

Okay man thank you that’s good information. I think I’ll just roll with it for now. Should I inspect it when I do the oil change? I do t want to have to order a new gasket if I break it apart

The gaskets are coated metal like gaskets, as long as they don't get bent or the coating comes off they can be reused.

The 5 seater has to have the rear floorboard removed to acces the cover. There is an easy way to identify the cover if it's been replaced without removing it from the engine.

Reactions: Smitty335
Brap-tor

Brap-tor

Jan 8, 2023
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s a 2016 with
about 1300 miles and 135 hours I think

Brap-tor

Brap-tor

Jan 8, 2023
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The gaskets are coated metal like gaskets, as long as they don't get bent or the coating comes off they can be reused.

The 5 seater has to have the rear floorboard removed to acces the cover. There is an easy way to identify the cover if it's been replaced without removing it from the engine.
Yes I saw the post regarding the upgraded one with a nipple on it. Mine does not I just checked

H

HondaTech

Do you recommend doing just the cover upgrade for now?

If im taking the cover off I'm inspecting the clutch and replacing if it looks the slight bit dark.

There are other parts that come with the upgraded cover that aren't included with the updated cover. Let me see if I can find the kit part#.

H

HondaTech

You'll need to get these 2 part numbers to complete the cover update.

06113-HL4-305
06113-HL4-307

One of those 2 numbers has the cover with it.

Brap-tor

Brap-tor

Jan 8, 2023
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You'll need to get these 2 part numbers to complete the cover update.

06113-HL4-305
06113-HL4-307

One of those 2 numbers has the cover with it.
I appreciate the help. Sounds like a pretty easy fix. I’ll order them tomorrow. I have a ride on the 26th and will be giving her a service after. Might as well change it out and check the clutch while she’s drained. Seems like a cheap thing to do to protect it

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Pick or small screwdriver. They don't have alot of tension, so lift one edge and pull it out by hand.
I'm referring to the small lockring, although I realized when replacing the whole clutch assembly you don't have to remove that one. Another question, which way does the entire assembly go in when reassembled? One of the clutch packs has more space between it and the primary driven gear. Also, the primary sub gear has no tension on it. I'm still not real clear on loading or tensioning (whatever it's called) the primary drive gear.

Reactions: Buggyman
H

HondaTech

I'm referring to the small lockring, although I realized when replacing the whole clutch assembly you don't have to remove that one. Another question, which way does the entire assembly go in when reassembled? One of the clutch packs has more space between it and the primary driven gear. Also, the primary sub gear has no tension on it. I'm still not real clear on loading or tensioning (whatever it's called) the primary drive gear.

Are you referring to the ring inside the clutch cover? The one that holds the collar?

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Are you referring to the ring inside the clutch cover? The one that holds the collar?

This one.

Lock ring

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
You dont need to remove that one unless your separating the clutch pack itself, which you'd need the special tool to do so.

That's only really needed to clean behind the piston, but if the clutch is bad, you get the entire assembly.

I figured that out. If you have a moment, could you help me out with the other two questions I asked in the same post? I really appreciate your help!

Reactions: Buggyman
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I'm having a hell of a time tensioning the primary drive gear. Doing it the hard way without fully disassembling it. If I have to take it apart, I'm going back with the solid gear.

Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm having a hell of a time tensioning the primary drive gear. Doing it the hard way without fully disassembling it. If I have to take it apart, I'm going back with the solid gear.
Honestly if you plan on going to a solid gear there's no point getting the tensioner set. It's going to make the same amount of noise as the solid gear IMO.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Honestly if you plan on going to a solid gear there's no point getting the tensioner set. It's going to make the same amount of noise as the solid gear IMO.
I really don't want to tear the rest of it down if I can help it. The clutches weren't burnt bad at all.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!