P1000 Honda Pioneer 1000 Clutch Replacement - A How To Guide!

Cajun-Abear

Cajun-Abear

Supporting Member
Dec 20, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, the gear has a couple holes in it. I use a small screwdriver to align the geara nd then a bolt to hold it in place. Slide the clutch on and then remove the bolt.

Its the reason the entire back half of the engine needs to come off to install a Pioneer clutch.
That makes a difference. In your first post about this, you state that the 6mm bolt is for "tension" on a gear that the clutch rides against. If the bolt is only for "alignment" and you can install the clutch back into place without it, I don't see where the bolt is necessary. Just a layman rookie's opinion, though! @P1K5Dave I think I got mine back in on the second attempt!

H

HondaTech

That makes a difference. In your first post about this, you state that the 6mm bolt is for "tension" on a gear that the clutch rides against. If the bolt is only for "alignment" and you can install the clutch back into place without it, I don't see where the bolt is necessary. Just a layman rookie's opinion, though! @P1K5Dave I think I got mine back in on the second attempt!

The gear is actually a 2 piece scissor gear. so the bolt is to hold the 2 pieces in alignment. You need to use something to hold it, since the gears have springs between the tabs to dampen the crank pulses.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I cant say what issues could arrise.

Its there to dampen the crank pulses to the clutch. But the Talon doesn't have the dampened gear, its just a solid gear.
Does this mean the Talon guys won't need to 'bolt' that gear when replacing the clutch?

H

HondaTech

Does this mean the Talon guys won't need to 'bolt' that gear when replacing the clutch?

Talons (and from what ive dug up, 2022 Pioneers) have a solid gear riding on the clutch hub gear.

So yes, the Talon clutch can be done with just the clutch cover off. But id still look at how much debris is in the valve body cover and judge whether the oil tank needs to be removed and cleaned as well.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Talons (and from what ive dug up, 2022 Pioneers) have a solid gear riding on the clutch hub gear.

So yes, the Talon clutch can be done with just the clutch cover off. But id still look at how much debris is in the valve body cover and judge whether the oil tank needs to be removed and cleaned as well.
I understand that the valve body cover and oil tank should be removed to check for debris, I just didn't want to be looking for a threaded hole in a split gear that doesn't exist. Thanks for helping us, especially the new SxS guys trying to get up to speed. 👍

Cajun-Abear

Cajun-Abear

Supporting Member
Dec 20, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you check the screens? There’s one on the valve body and one on the oil pick up.
Can this be taken off with the clutch cover still in place, without draining all of the engine/DCT oil? I'm asking because I didn't clean either screen after a burnt clutch, just oil and both new filters. I'm getting that dreaded clunk between 1st & 2nd and 2nd & 3rd gears that used to not be there, it appears to be getting louder and it is aggravating as hell.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Can this be taken off with the clutch cover still in place, without draining all of the engine/DCT oil? I'm asking because I didn't clean either screen after a burnt clutch, just oil and both new filters. I'm getting that dreaded clunk between 1st & 2nd and 2nd & 3rd gears that used to not be there, it appears to be getting louder and it is aggravating as hell.

you don’t have to remove the clutch cover. Look on post 94 of this thread. It’s in the valve body with you can access fairly easily

M

mddconsulting

Jan 10, 2022
Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know this is an old post, but THANK YOU CP, acquired my 2016 1000-5 Deluxe last year and started having this problem this year. Clutch Pack is a little more these days but still saved me a lot of money! Only advice I can offer is pay close attention to CP's comment on ensuring the housing fits flush during reassembly. I had about 1/16" gap without tightening and thought I was there....tightened bolts and it sealed. Started it up and let it warm up, put in Drive and immediately died....thought...oh, I forgot to do the clutch re-learn procedure. Did that....same result. Pulled everything back apart and "closely read" CP's instructions and viola case went on flush and everything is wonderful.....Thanks again CP!

THEDUKE_SXS

THEDUKE_SXS

Apr 25, 2022
FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello Everyone
This post is awesome and I am about to do the clutches on mine. I have a 2020 and the garbage dealership did this the first go around and replaced the clutch pack because 1-3-5 were slipping. And as everyone knows it was not covered under warranty even though the machine had less than 100 hours on it and was not abused... yet. Now 2-4-6 are starting to slip with 2 being the worst of them. Sorry if this is redundant or has been mentioned early in this. Is it any different doing 2-4-6 or different part numbers? I am tired of paying the high shop prices and I am going to do it myself after reading this excellent guide. I have started (I know late to the party) manually shifting now to help avoid any more issues. Thanks again and sorry if this was discussed early in this thread, I just want to make sure I am buying the right parts and doing this correctly. Thanks again

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Hello Everyone
This post is awesome and I am about to do the clutches on mine. I have a 2020 and the garbage dealership did this the first go around and replaced the clutch pack because 1-3-5 were slipping. And as everyone knows it was not covered under warranty even though the machine had less than 100 hours on it and was not abused... yet. Now 2-4-6 are starting to slip with 2 being the worst of them. Sorry if this is redundant or has been mentioned early in this. Is it any different doing 2-4-6 or different part numbers? I am tired of paying the high shop prices and I am going to do it myself after reading this excellent guide. I have started (I know late to the party) manually shifting now to help avoid any more issues. Thanks again and sorry if this was discussed early in this thread, I just want to make sure I am buying the right parts and doing this correctly. Thanks again
Second set is right there not much different. Same part number.
Even’s is pretty uncommon, makes me think something going on. For me it was factory intake boot was allowing dust into the oil. It took out that set too.

THEDUKE_SXS

THEDUKE_SXS

Apr 25, 2022
FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Second set is right there not much different. Same part number.
Even’s is pretty uncommon, makes me think something going on. For me it was factory intake boot was allowing dust into the oil. It took out that set too.
Thanks!! I don't think mine has been right since I bought it, but the dealership says "nothing else is wrong". I went off on Honda and them when 1-3-5 went out with under 100 hours and they pretty much laughed and said sorry about your luck.
I am starting to wonder if it could be my tires. I have a 6in lift with 31" Interco Boggers. The tires themselves are pretty heavy and maybe? could be a issue? I am going to check everything as best as I can when I do the clutches to eliminate any other problems.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks!! I don't think mine has been right since I bought it, but the dealership says "nothing else is wrong". I went off on Honda and them when 1-3-5 went out with under 100 hours and they pretty much laughed and said sorry about your luck.
I am starting to wonder if it could be my tires. I have a 6in lift with 31" Interco Boggers. The tires themselves are pretty heavy and maybe? could be a issue? I am going to check everything as best as I can when I do the clutches to eliminate any other problems.
Do you have a tune? If not I’d consider it as they usually lock the clutch up sooner, I have a Florida Cracker tune but think he doesn’t do it any longer. I wouldn’t doubt those tires are part of the issue and will probably eat up your new clutches as I’d replace both.

THEDUKE_SXS

THEDUKE_SXS

Apr 25, 2022
FL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you have a tune? If not I’d consider it as they usually lock the clutch up sooner, I have a Florida Cracker tune but think he doesn’t do it any longer. I wouldn’t doubt those tires are part of the issue.
No tune as of yet. Hoping to do that eventually but not yet.

Reactions: Lady01
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Ya tires probably aren’t helping if mixed with heavy mud imo. But there is a large handful of guys doing it without too many issues.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'd run portals If I lived in Florida.

J

Jblanders

Feb 1, 2022
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I followed this guide and cannot get the bike to take the relearn! I am stressed to say the least. I am about to take back apart. If it doesn’t work this time it is going to cost me 400 (parts already spent) plus the $2800 from the dealerShip. Any help or thoughts are appreciated!!

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't take it back apart until you're absolutely sure you followed the re-learn procedure correctly! It's fussy and needs to be done in a smooth cadence.

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What happens when you try the re-learn? Any responses from your display?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!