P1000 Honda Pioneer 1000 Clutch Replacement - A How To Guide!

G

Greg B

Oct 26, 2021
Bend OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
On the end of the transmission shaft there are two plastic o rings that have to be replaced. Take them off carefully (in case you bung a new one up later) but don't replace at this point! Careful (very very carefully at this point till it's all in) pick up your clutch assembly making sure the new side is on the outside place onto the shaft. Keep everything as tight as possible making sure the gears on both sides stay in tight. Wiggle just a bit and turn just a bit as needed till it's all the way in. The first 3/4 is easy the last 1/4 your trying to align the large gear on the outside of the assembly with a smaller one on the inside on the left of the transmission. It all needs to be in flush and cozy.
View attachment 20916
if it doesn't look like this carefully jiggle in some more if still not then pull assembly back out and repeat making sure again the gears on the assembly are fully in.
Once you've confirmed it sits as picture the place the new plastic split rings on the transmission shaft
View attachment 20917
and place a little grease on these rings. Place new outer gasket onto the the transmission. There is a large oil port on lower left that will help with placement.
Place clutch cover over the clutches onto the transmission with a light couple taps possibly needed but nothing hard. It needs to fit very tight without use of the tightening the
View attachment 20918
bolts to assure you loaded everything correctly. Place bolts lightly back in. The should all have closely the same length when placed in. Just put one at a time and assure they are all about 1/2 of threads as seen also in the above picture. Make sure you can finger tighten most of the way then tighten till they are snugged up against the cover. Now start at top and tighten a little go to bottom and tighten a little,then left and right then repeat with the others. You want to tighten the cover evenly. Now tighten all up in the same fashion. Start back up top and go clockwise counting all 8 as you go for a final check. Keep in mind these do not need cranked super tight. Replace the 10mm and the lock at the top
View attachment 20919
and plug all plugs back in making sure the clips holding the wiring are back into correct spots.
Fill with 6.1quarts of oil
View attachment 20920
check everything. Make sure you feel good and everything is off the exhaust tools out of the way ect.
Let sit a for a minute and start the vehicle. Your dash will look like this don't freak out its normal
View attachment 20921
After its warmed up a little place into drive carefully if done correctly it's moving if not you do not have it loaded correctly. Shut off the vehicle and perform the transmission reset.

P1000 - Reset the DCT Clutch / Clutch Initialize Learning Procedure

Start the Pioneer and let warm up, get it out and ensure everything is good and feels good (no one knows your Pioneer as well as you do they all feel different because they learn you) go through the gears. Come back check oil with dipstick not screwed in all the way(check it by setting it in not tight) and perform another quick glance ensuring everything is snug and ready for battle. Then simply go enjoy your work. Have fun guys and gals!

Thanks very much to @JACKAL for sharing this link. Follow the steps and your golden. Enjoy your new clutches and enjoy your 1000 plus in savings I sure did.
I need some advice here with my 2016 Honda Pionerr 1000 I have the outside #1 clutch pak exposed but I can not get it to come off of the input shaft. I look at the new one and I don't see anything that would hold it onto the shaft. Is there something I am missin. If you get this could you give me a call at (805) 717-2336 Thanks Greg

IMG 2066

Cajun-Abear

Cajun-Abear

Supporting Member
Dec 20, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for this thread and all of the info contained! I just completed a clutch pack change and it went off without a hitch. You give the details to look for and give us the confidence to do it. Thx again!

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
H

HondaTech

I could've swore i mentioned this somewhere in this thread or another but the gear that the clutch gear rides against is "sprung". Your suppose to set the tension first and hold it with a bolt before installing the clutch.

This is why you have to remove the large oil tank, and rear spacer with oil pump to access that gear. So it can be "set".

This and cleaning the system is why we charge 5 hours for a clutch replacement on Pioneers.

D

David young

Jan 9, 2022
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
my 2017 just started having the shifting trouble in 1st, 3rd and 5th look like i will be doing the same thing real soon

Reactions: Lady01
S

SteveR

Oct 10, 2021
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
By the parts. Do it sooner rather than later. Just saying...

D

David young

Jan 9, 2022
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone put a talon clutch in a pioneer, is it maybe stronger than a pioneer clutch?

Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I read that you can but with tuning it may not be necessary. The talon clutch has one extra steel and one extra fiber.

Dezrik

Dezrik

Follow me for adventure!
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2018
MOAB, Utahhhhhhhh
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I havent seen the talon clutch first hand but Im told by Zachary @ Complete Offroad Powersports its a direct replacement.

Reactions: CID and Lady01
Cajun-Abear

Cajun-Abear

Supporting Member
Dec 20, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I could've swore i mentioned this somewhere in this thread or another but the gear that the clutch gear rides against is "sprung". Your suppose to set the tension first and hold it with a bolt before installing the clutch.

This is why you have to remove the large oil tank, and rear spacer with oil pump to access that gear. So it can be "set".

This and cleaning the system is why we charge 5 hours for a clutch replacement on Pioneers.
There is a video on Youtube that shows this. What happens if you don't do this? Problems? I used the procedure that CP illustrated and didn't seem to have any issues at first. After 100 miles or so I'm starting to get a clunk noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd only. It sounds just like a CV joint starting to go but it is not. I figured out what it was last night (after changing an axle) by using Manual shift. I am going to perform the clutch relearn procedure when I get home tonight to see if that fixes the problem.

H

HondaTech

There is a video on Youtube that shows this. What happens if you don't do this? Problems? I used the procedure that CP illustrated and didn't seem to have any issues at first. After 100 miles or so I'm starting to get a clunk noise when shifting from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd only. It sounds just like a CV joint starting to go but it is not. I figured out what it was last night (after changing an axle) by using Manual shift. I am going to perform the clutch relearn procedure when I get home tonight to see if that fixes the problem.

I cant say what issues could arrise.

Its there to dampen the crank pulses to the clutch. But the Talon doesnt have the dampened gear, its just a solid gear.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, now I'm confused.

I did a quick review of the service manual and watched a Honda Tech video, but didn't really study and put them together.

I did my #1 clutch pack 7k miles ago following CPs guide. I don't think I even had a manual back then. Anyway, it's been good, but next time I need to do anything with clutches I'll want to go in fully prepared and be thorough with it.

Cajun-Abear

Cajun-Abear

Supporting Member
Dec 20, 2021
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I cant say what issues could arrise.

Its there to dampen the crank pulses to the clutch. But the Talon doesnt have the dampened gear, its just a solid gear.
The video above that P1K5Dave posted is the one that I was referring to. I watched it again and this tech states that the 6mm bolt is used for gear alignment??

H

HondaTech

The video above that P1K5Dave posted is the one that I was referring to. I watched it again and this tech states that the 6mm bolt is used for gear alignment??

Yeah, the gear has a couple holes in it. I use a small screwdriver to align the geara nd then a bolt to hold it in place. Slide the clutch on and then remove the bolt.

Its the reason the entire back half of the engine needs to come off to install a Pioneer clutch.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's probably why it took me 3-4 tries before I could get the clutches to go in all the way, and the cover to mount flat, would you say @HondaTech ?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!