BOX1

P1000 Honda Pioneer 1000 Clutch Replacement - A How To Guide!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
They did call and tell me it was the clutch’s and the warranty wouldn’t cover it. But they also said that the machine had “already been disassembled” so I told them to just finish it. Next time, I’ll do it myself.
That’s how I took in my machine years back before the Clutch update. They tore it apart said no warranty, I said box up the s*** I’m coming down.
Was a b**** getting it back together not having any documentation and having to reassemble someone else’s bulls*** but got it going. Hondasxs asked me document it if I tore back into it so I did.
Pretty quick at it now, have done it on the trails a couple times. Glad it’s been a thing of the distant past for us now. Always hate hearing clutch issues but it really isn’t too bad to do. And the update definitely helped the machine

kamikaze

kamikaze

Jul 2, 2020
Linden, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That’s how I took in my machine years back before the Clutch update. They tore it apart said no warranty, I said box up the s*** I’m coming down.
Was a b**** getting it back together not having any documentation and having to reassemble someone else’s bulls*** but got it going. Hondasxs asked me document it if I tore back into it so I did.
Pretty quick at it now, have done it on the trails a couple times. Glad it’s been a thing of the distant past for us now. Always hate hearing clutch issues but it really isn’t too bad to do. And the update definitely helped the machine

Thanks for this write up, it'll be very useful in the future.

How many clutches have you gone through so far and what's the average lifespan? I know it depends on how you drive, just curious.
Thanks

Reactions: Smitty335
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thanks for this write up, it'll be very useful in the future.

How many clutches have you gone through so far and what's the average lifespan? I know it depends on how you drive, just curious.
Thanks
It was a bunch, don’t remember exact number anymore, I think 6-7 including an aftermarket set. But then I was in several other times to switch even set into the odds so we’d at least have 1st and reverse to keep riding. Didn’t let the clutch issues keep the family grounded much. That was 1 machine out of 3 we had.
I think there were multiple problems on that machine. One I found was the intake boot wasn’t tight from assembly and allowed dirt to be ingested which eventually took the engine out but I think the dirty oil played a factor in the clutches. Also we’ve found out not all machines engage the same. Some shift hard and some a little soft, you want it to engage hard.
Our previous machine to that one never missed a beat even being extremely hard on it, but the machine with clutch issues always shifted soft. My current Pioneer is in between them both.
Now longevity will depend on the machine, driver awareness and intended use.
The update has allowed for much greater slippage before a problem. We beat the hell out of the machine and pull crap 3 times heavier then it’s designed purpose and I’m not worried. But as a few of us have learned you want it hook up fast so if doing anything out of norm you stab the throttle or can manually shift if worried. Keep RPM’s up a little and watch heavy mud with large aggressive tires, try to keep wheels spinning if that makes sense. It really is pretty bulletproof now though. A friend of mine is at 30,000 with 20% of that on tracks and he abuses it, it’s hard to say but doing the same stuff with same driver I believe DCT will outlive belts (even the good ones) by a long shot. Pretty damn sure no belted machine would have held up that long for what he’s done. Just remember like a belt there has to be some slippage but you have a lot more room for error with the Honda clutches.

Last edited:
B

Bryan_griggs

Nov 19, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anybody had any water pump issues? Mine isn’t pumping. I can pull the hose off the top of the water pump and you can see it barely see the antifreeze come up

Reactions: Smitty335
Hebel

Hebel

Jul 4, 2021
Costa rica
Ownership

1. 700-4
View attachment 21311

Lets talk CLUTCH REPLACEMENT!
The 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000 seems to be getting a reputation for having clutch failures and it has been common perception that Honda was taking care of these issues as they come up for all its loyal riders. WRONG!

Lets say if you are stock and haven't drove through a puddle of water 10" or more, then you have a fairly good chance the Honda will approve your replacement. But if you have modified your Pioneer outside "there liking"... well.... You best just read up on the below!

But... Not to worry. For less then $350 and a few hours time you can be back on the trial!

If you can replace an alternator or water pump in your car/truck then you are more then capable of completing this clutch replacement!

Time needed!
  • Stealership = 7 + Hour$$$$$.
  • Novice mechanic = 3-4 hours.
  • Home mechanic = 3 hours.
  • Back yard mechanic = 2 hours.

Parts list.
Oil Filters and Oil.
See: Honda Pioneer 1000 Oil Change Guide!

The below is from a 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe.

IMG 20210623 WA0018

Reactions: TripleB
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How many clutches have you gone through so far and what's the average lifespan?

I thought I'd check back in on this point, because I was a bit concerned about how long clutches would last, given that my R-1-3-5 pack was slipping when I bought the machine with 2500 miles (reverse was also shot.)

I'm happy to report that I'm nearing 7500 miles (so 5000 on the new clutch pack.) 2-4-6 is still the original set and my clutches are perfectly good.

I attribute this to two things: 1) Making sure you're not pushing it to clutch slippage - meaning - using low range when you should, and keeping your R's up, and getting off it if the wheels aren't spinning. And 2) the fact that I replaced the reverse gears with the Talon set. I never drove it with the stock reverse gears, but I've read that they're roughly the same as forward-1. I know many times I've appreciated the reverse gearing I have while backing out of something rough.

Last edited:
S

SteveR

Oct 10, 2021
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Great Thread! I have a 2017 1000-3 and I think mine just went. 1,3,5 gears slip. Real quick, I see you listed a parts kit...would that be the same clutch pack for mine(do you know) and also is that the same original one from Honda? I hear that Honda sells a new and improved one that wasn`t offered to me but was free if you requested it upon purchase. Or does anybody know of something better and where I could get it from if possible. Thanks for everyones help...it makes me sick I even have to do this as my local Honda dealer says they never see Pioneers in for this...he didnt even know what to charge me...

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Great Thread! I have a 2017 1000-3 and I think mine just went. 1,3,5 gears slip. Real quick, I see you listed a parts kit...would that be the same clutch pack for mine(do you know) and also is that the same original one from Honda? I hear that Honda sells a new and improved one that wasn`t offered to me but was free if you requested it upon purchase. Or does anybody know of something better and where I could get it from if possible. Thanks for everyones help...it makes me sick I even have to do this as my local Honda dealer says they never see Pioneers in for this...he didnt even know what to charge me...
First off, Welcome to the HSXS club. Sorry to hear about your problem. To answer your questions we need to know a bit more about your machine. You did say u have a 17’ did u buy it new or used and when, miles on it then and now? That makes a difference if you could have gotten the update info. Your Stealership (as we call them) should have told you anyway plus you could have looked this up. Also, I belive the clutch in this thread is before the updates.

Another thing we do on here when u first post is an “intro thread” and with pics of your machine so we know you have one and we love to see pics pics pics ;) or
“Pics Or It Didnt Happen” comes up. You dont want to fall victim to that lol.

S

SteveR

Oct 10, 2021
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I bought the unit new from ride now in NV but now I reside in Iowa. It currently has 166 hours and roughly 1150 miles. When I bought it, I really don't know the milage but it was brand new off the floor. I had to wait for Honda to send the dealer the exhaust recall parts to pick it up. I want to say it was a year old though (overstock) so I bought it in May of 18. My oil doesn't smell burnt to me. It smells just like the engine oil. I had trouble shifting the other day while it was running but if I shut it down, I could move the shift lever to what ever gear I wanted and it was fine. Now the shift lever moves freely and it revs a bit before shifting into 1,3,5 as well as Rev. It also does the same thing in MT mode. This is why after reading and hearing about Honda clutch issues...I feel like I am where I am.

20180530 162158 20180530 162214

• Love
Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I bought the unit new from ride now in NV but now I reside in Iowa. It currently has 166 hours and roughly 1150 miles. When I bought it, I really don't know the milage but it was brand new off the floor. I had to wait for Honda to send the dealer the exhaust recall parts to pick it up. I want to say it was a year old though (overstock) so I bought it in May of 18. My oil doesn't smell burnt to me. It smells just like the engine oil. I had trouble shifting the other day while it was running but if I shut it down, I could move the shift lever to what ever gear I wanted and it was fine. Now the shift lever moves freely and it revs a bit before shifting into 1,3,5 as well as Rev. It also does the same thing in MT mode. This is why after reading and hearing about Honda clutch issues...I feel like I am where I am.

View attachment 299634 View attachment 299635
Good Lookin ride u have there!

Yes its possible. But you want to check and see if your updated or not. Ill post a link how to find this out.

Id also check your link cables and make sure your not out of adjustment or broken one. There is alot of threads on here on how to adjust them.

its past the recall time frame now, so youll either have to do the update yourself or have the Dealer do it.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@SteveR heres the full update info. Its expired now but will help u with your endeavor

S

SteveR

Oct 10, 2021
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oh man. This is so awesome and I'm so greatful you posted this. I called Honda the other day to just see about this and to let them know I didn't get this campaign offer and to remind them how I called and verified my address when they never notified me about the under seat heat shield campaign and as expected, it fell on deaf ears. I even asked why would anyone not want to take advantage of this upgrade and the are admitting there is a problem just by putting a campaign out. Anyways...I asked for this very info and they told me I had to see a dealer. I called the only dealer in Des Moines, he said he had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. So again thank you so much for getting me a starting point to getting me back on the road.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Oh man. This is so awesome and I'm so greatful you posted this. I called Honda the other day to just see about this and to let them know I didn't get this campaign offer and to remind them how I called and verified my address when they never notified me about the under seat heat shield campaign and as expected, it fell on deaf ears. I even asked why would anyone not want to take advantage of this upgrade and the are admitting there is a problem just by putting a campaign out. Anyways...I asked for this very info and they told me I had to see a dealer. I called the only dealer in Des Moines, he said he had absolutely no idea what I was talking about. So again thank you so much for getting me a starting point to getting me back on the road.
Good deal! Glad to help.

BTW, if there a Honda dealer, theres pretty much no way they would have not known about this! It was quite a big deal. Sounds like there blowing smoke up your A$$ imo

G

Greg B

Oct 26, 2021
Bend OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 21311

Lets talk CLUTCH REPLACEMENT!
The 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000 seems to be getting a reputation for having clutch failures and it has been common perception that Honda was taking care of these issues as they come up for all its loyal riders. WRONG!

Lets say if you are stock and haven't drove through a puddle of water 10" or more, then you have a fairly good chance the Honda will approve your replacement. But if you have modified your Pioneer outside "there liking"... well.... You best just read up on the below!

But... Not to worry. For less then $350 and a few hours time you can be back on the trial!

If you can replace an alternator or water pump in your car/truck then you are more then capable of completing this clutch replacement!

Time needed!
  • Stealership = 7 + Hour$$$$$.
  • Novice mechanic = 3-4 hours.
  • Home mechanic = 3 hours.
  • Back yard mechanic = 2 hours.

Parts list.
Oil Filters and Oil.
See: Honda Pioneer 1000 Oil Change Guide!

The below is from a 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe.
I have a question about the clutch. I purchased the 22500-HL4-003 Does this have the clutch already in it or do they have to be purchased separately Thanks Greg

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's a full clutch assembly, your machine runs 2 of them. You can replace R-1-3-5 or 2-4-6 with that.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
S

SteveR

Oct 10, 2021
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I was gonna say that I bought all the parts and am planning on doing mine tomm. I can let you know tomm when I open mine up. The paper says if you dont have issues, you need clutch pack A. If your clutch is defective, you need pack B. I bought the clutch, got pack A as well as the new cover. EBAY seems to be the most reasonable. I got part of this order from one (not the one) of the dealers in the chain. I think Ride Now powerboats didn't tell me about any of these campaigns so the can make money on selling me the parts...

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Now I'm confused. What "paper" are you talking about?

There are two clutch packs, both with the same part number. Depending on where they are installed, one pack runs reverse, 1st, 3rd and 5th gears and the other runs 2nd, 4th, and 6th gears.

You can buy them thru many sources. I looked them up on Partzilla earlier and they were around $415. Ron Ayers was selling them for $295. Pays to shop...

S

SteveR

Oct 10, 2021
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm sorry. If you go up a little farther in this thread. (Look for my name as it was sent to me) its a clutch replacement campaign from Honda. it must have been sent to the dealers as I didn't get it to my house and yes I bought the unit new. It will list the parts. That's where it says A pack or B pack. I'll try to repost it if you don't see it.

S

SteveR

Oct 10, 2021
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Does anyone have an email of someone high up at Honda? I'm not talking about the dumb customer service line but an email. I'm looking to reach some high up about the recalls I haven't been notified about and the campaigns I never seek to get informed on. My dealership is s***. I've now moved and the one close to me is worse.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!