P1000 Honda Pioneer 1000 Clutch Replacement - A How To Guide!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Great info. This will save people on here some money, along with many other how tips. If your not a life time member, or a supporting member now would be a great time to do so. I think it's $40 or so. I am just a member not staff, so I was not told to post this. So if you can donate that would be great it keeps the forum running like a well oiled machine!
Thanks @sharp.
What you don't know is CP did most all that from his phone. WOW!
I did a little editing and it turned out great.
I hope it saves lots of people time and $.

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thanks @sharp.
What you don't know is CP did most all that from his phone. WOW!
I did a little editing and it turned out great.
I hope it saves lots of people time and $.
Took much longer to type this then the install lol. Thank you very much @Hondasxs for your help on this it's definitely not my forte but gave it hell. So everyone knows as soon as I mentioned I was planning on doing this he was all over it. Think of the countless hours this man has in this site to help us and our product succeed! There are many that do the same. Again thank you @JACKAL as your information on the reset also helps make this possible. We should all be very thankful, and do whatever we can this is a great site.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
thanks CP awsome write up.i will just pull up in your drive way and you can talk me thru it.then we can go ride when done.lol great job
@vince your not all that far right? And you are familiar with the area. If yours ever go it's cheaper to come up here anyway! We can break in the new clutches amongst the trees in St. Marie's clay with a few beers!

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Wow who needs a dealer when your on this site!
Damn, I don't have anymore excuses not to trade up to a White P1K.just need the boss's OK.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
roughly how many hours do you estimate this took?

hopefully there will be some mods with better clutches and maybe some sort of oil pressure mod as well.
Took slightly over 1.5 including stopping for pictures. Did call Hinson clutches and they are interested at possibly doing one. If someone would do just the clutches without the basket as well it would be really reasonable. It may not be a bad thing having the clutches be the weak link those because nothing else will really get torn up that way and there is great access to them. I'd almost rather time wise replace clutches then the belt on our Polaris.

Last edited:
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
View attachment 21311

Lets talk CLUTCH REPLACEMENT!

The 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000 seems to be getting a reputation for having clutch failures and it has been common perception that Honda was taking care of these issues as they come up for all its loyal riders. WRONG!

Lets say if you are stock and haven't drove through a puddle of water 10" or more, then you have a fairly good chance the Honda will approve your replacement. But if you have modified your Pioneer outside "there liking"... well.... You best just read up on the below!

But... Not to worry. For less then $350 and a few hours time you can be back on the trial!

If you can replace an alternator or water pump in your car/truck then you are more then capable of completing this clutch replacement!

Time needed!
  • Stealership = 7 + Hour$$$$$.
  • Novice mechanic = 3-4 hours.
  • Home mechanic = 3 hours.
  • Back yard mechanic = 2 hours.

Parts list.
Oil Filters and Oil.
See: Honda Pioneer 1000 Oil Change Guide!

The below is from a 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe.
I was just thinking about ordering an oil change and was wondering where do we get the best price shipped to your door? o_O

advertisement
Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Very well done @CumminsPusher and @Hondasxs.

You certainly do make is sound reasonable to do and yes it would be perfect for Hinson Racing to make a heavy duty pack. AND a tad lower reverse. It almost seems as fast in revers as in first forward.

@Hondasxs Hey how about adding a new level of Gold membership and has a seperate available shirt representing that level?:) Just thinking out loud digitally.:D

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I was just thinking about ordering an oil change and was wondering where do we get the best price shipped to your door? o_O

I get multiple filters on eBay and oil in the store. There's probably something cheaper out there. I honestly haven't looked much.

Sent from iPhone

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Very well done @CumminsPusher and @Hondasxs.

You certainly do make is sound reasonable to do and yes it would be perfect for Hinson Racing to make a heavy duty pack. AND a tad lower reverse. It almost seems as fast in revers as in first forward.

@Hondasxs Hey how about adding a new level of Gold membership and has a seperate available shirt representing that level?:) Just thinking out loud digitally.:D

Thank you @Stauvo we did work hard on this one. I really think that high reverse is the only problem. We have to be careful with that. Backing up hills and and mud type things. I like most on here was a little scared of the clutches but Its nice to know it's fixable by nearly anyone with limited tools and a little patience. It's a good design.

Sent from iPhone

Last edited:
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Just out of curiosity. Why did you change out your packs? Did you start getting slipping or something else? What prompted you to do it?

Reactions: Biteme and pct
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Just out of curiosity. Why did you change out your packs? Did you start getting slipping or something else? What prompted you to do it?

Slipping yes. We will just leave it at I'm hard on a machine

Sent from iPhone

Last edited:
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Slipping yes. We will just leave it at I'm hard on a machine

Sent from iPhone

So you had the high revs between shifting on odd gears like others have had or did you notice it a different way?

Or did you do something "hard" that you knew it got smoked? :)

Just wondering if it crept up on you over time with use similar to what others have had or if you knew immediately.

Reactions: Biteme and pct
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I think they were close to going out for awhile but finally let go. Mine were a little different though. They slipped a bit going into gear but then would hold the gear once in

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!