BOX1

P1000 Honda Pioneer 1000 Clutch Replacement - A How To Guide!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@HondaTech Since you have the book and do many of these is there anything you'd like to add here or suggestions you'd like to make? I tried using common tools that everyone has access to and we did as good we could on pictures and explaining the process. Love some factory input if you would.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 21311

Lets talk CLUTCH REPLACEMENT!

The 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000 seems to be getting a reputation for having clutch failures and it has been common perception that Honda was taking care of these issues as they come up for all its loyal riders. WRONG!

Lets say if you are stock and haven't drove through a puddle of water 10" or more, then you have a fairly good chance the Honda will approve your replacement. But if you have modified your Pioneer outside "there liking"... well.... You best just read up on the below!

But... Not to worry. For less then $350 and a few hours time you can be back on the trial!

If you can replace an alternator or water pump in your car/truck then you are more then capable of completing this clutch replacement!

Time needed!
  • Stealership = 7 + Hour$$$$$.
  • Novice mechanic = 3-4 hours.
  • Home mechanic = 3 hours.
  • Back yard mechanic = 2 hours.

Parts list.
Oil Filters and Oil.
See: Honda Pioneer 1000 Oil Change Guide!

The below is from a 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe.

How I missed this writeup I don't know, but this is freaking AWESOME! Thank you @CumminsPusher. After reading through this I now believe I have the confidence to install the IGR myself. Now I just need to wait for my bank account to build up a little... lol

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It's not bad at all don't even hesitate it's a great design plenty of room and no specialty tools. I'm now under an hour lol.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
A few. Two sets of clutches but the second new set was totally my fault thought I was stuck but ebrake was set , oops. But I opened it back up for better pictures and both times they went out I flipped the r,1,3,5 to the 2,4,6 sides so I'd have reverse and first if that makes sense. I didn't let slipping clutches ever slow us down. Actually thought they were going again but it's nice and solid with 750 on the new set I'm back to happy. Being careful with reverse and trying to bump up speed in the climbs I expect better life this round!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A few. Two sets of clutches but the second new set was totally my fault thought I was stuck but ebrake was set , oops. But I opened it back up for pictures and both times they went out I flipped the r,1,3,5 to the 2,4,6 sides so I'd have reverse and first if that makes sense. I didn't let slipping clutches ever slow us down. I actually thought they were going again but it's nice and solid with 750 on the new set I'm back to happy.

LOL... I can see that. Most of my riding is low and slow, manually shifting and keeping the RPM's up. As I've told you before, I'm surprised I haven't burned up mine with a couple of the boneheaded things I've done, but I didn't know any better when I did them. I might just get a set on order so I have them. I know when I do the IGR my wife will be right there making sure I don't screw it up... lol. She's really good about catching the little things that I sometimes overlook.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
LOL... I can see that. Most of my riding is low and slow, manually shifting and keeping the RPM's up. As I've told you before, I'm surprised I haven't burned up mine with a couple of the boneheaded things I've done, but I didn't know any better when I did them. I might just get a set on order so I have them. I know when I do the IGR my wife will be right there making sure I don't screw it up... lol. She's really good about catching the little things that I sometimes overlook.

I'm surprised you haven't had problems and a couple others. But then some do that shouldn't it's random.
It's really easy AK. It sucks to have to replace them but it's not a huge deal. The only hard part is getting the basket back in nice and smooth. If the cover doesn't sit flush without bolts then you have to pull the basket back out and reinstall.
I'd get the IGR but speed sometimes is important I'd rather replace clutches occasionally then rev it super high when we do hit pavement and need to do the speed limit. Like I said though once I decide to up the tire size I'll 100% get the setup. Our speeds sometimes get very low in some areas just can't run faster so we'd be trashing clutches without that. 1st and especially reverse could have been lower especially for a "utility " sxs.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm surprised you haven't had problems and a couple others. But then some do that shouldn't it's random.
It's really easy AK. It sucks to have to replace them but it's not a huge deal. The only hard part is getting the basket back in nice and smooth. If the cover doesn't sit flush without bolts then you have to pull the basket back out and reinstall.
I'd get the IGR but speed sometimes is important I'd rather replace clutches occasionally then rev it super high when we do hit pavement and need to do the speed limit. Like I said though once I decide to up the tire size I'll 100% get the setup. Our speeds sometimes get very low in some areas just can't run faster so we'd be trashing clutches without that. 1st and especially reverse could have been lower especially for a "utility " sxs.

The Dealer replaced both clutch packs, chamfered oil pressure relief valves and cleaned oil pick up screen under warranty. At 185 miles. I under stand cleaning the screen, but chamfering the oil pressure relief valves? What ever they did to it made a big difference in the noise it makes when going through the gears. Chamfering oil relief valves?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The Dealer replaced both clutch packs, chamfered oil pressure relief valves and cleaned oil pick up screen under warranty. At 185 miles. I under stand cleaning the screen, but chamfering the oil pressure relief valves? What ever they did to it made a big difference in the noise it makes when going through the gears. Chamfering oil relief valves?
That's good they took care of you! Too bad it seemed to need all of that but now that you've got it back go enjoy her some:)

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
When I first got mine it was very noisy shifting even in the yard, now it clicks instead of clunking?

That's usually what everyone says after the first oil change. I'm sure they put new oil back in it.

Sounds like it's all good for you now.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's usually what everyone says after the first oil change. I'm sure they put new oil back in it.

Sounds like it's all good for you now.
I was going on my second oil change when the failure happened

Reactions: Biteme
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
How I missed this writeup I don't know, but this is freaking AWESOME! Thank you @CumminsPusher. After reading through this I now believe I have the confidence to install the IGR myself. Now I just need to wait for my bank account to build up a little... lol
That's exactly what I was thinking !
I was reading the service manual and scooterChris's IGR thread but still felt a bit uneasy about digging into it - till I read this. Also great if I ever trash my clutches - dont want to go back to stealership.

Awesome writeup - fills in lots of gaps from the service manual.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
@CumminsPusher You make this statement...

On the end of the transmission shaft there are two plastic o rings that have to be replaced. Take them off carefully (in case you bung a new one up later) but don't replace at this point!

My question is where do these plastic o rings come from because i didn't see a part number for them.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@CumminsPusher You make this statement...

On the end of the transmission shaft there are two plastic o rings that have to be replaced. Take them off carefully (in case you bung a new one up later) but don't replace at this point!

My question is where do these plastic o rings come from because i didn't see a part number for them.
My apology I will update! As long as you're careful and pull these before the clutch basket they should be ok. The only issue with these is where they overlap they get thin and easy to bung up.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
IMG 6222 IMG 6220 IMG 6222
@CumminsPusher , does this look like the right part numbero_O

Reactions: Biteme and pct
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
View attachment 21311

Lets talk CLUTCH REPLACEMENT!

The 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000 seems to be getting a reputation for having clutch failures and it has been common perception that Honda was taking care of these issues as they come up for all its loyal riders. WRONG!

Lets say if you are stock and haven't drove through a puddle of water 10" or more, then you have a fairly good chance the Honda will approve your replacement. But if you have modified your Pioneer outside "there liking"... well.... You best just read up on the below!

But... Not to worry. For less then $350 and a few hours time you can be back on the trial!

If you can replace an alternator or water pump in your car/truck then you are more then capable of completing this clutch replacement!

Time needed!
  • Stealership = 7 + Hour$$$$$.
  • Novice mechanic = 3-4 hours.
  • Home mechanic = 3 hours.
  • Back yard mechanic = 2 hours.

Parts list.
Oil Filters and Oil.
See: Honda Pioneer 1000 Oil Change Guide!

The below is from a 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe.
I bought a Honda so I'm not going to have to replace clutches. ;)

Reactions: PioneerPete
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!