BOX1
Resource icon

P1000 Honda Pioneer 1000 Oil Change Guide!

T

Tincan

Oct 1, 2017
British Columbia, Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks for the response guys, from what I have been reading I couldn't find any other mention of oil brands. But I thought I would
ask.

A

Average_Joe

Aug 19, 2016
Gainesville, Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
If you have a warranty left and the extended warranty you can only use Honda oil. I bought the 4 year extended warranty from Honda my dealer couldn't stress enough the importance of using Honda oil only they test the viscosity if it doesn't match theirs for warranty claims it voids all warranties and repairs are out of pocket

Riverrat

Riverrat

Jul 3, 2016
UP of Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If you have a warranty left and the extended warranty you can only use Honda oil. I bought the 4 year extended warranty from Honda my dealer couldn't stress enough the importance of using Honda oil only they test the viscosity if it doesn't match theirs for warranty claims it voids all warranties and repairs are out of pocket
That’s not what the manual states. My dealer doesn’t stress Honda oil.

Reactions: lee and JTW

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've thought the same thing. But I don't know what a 20 hour oil change and filter SHOULD look like.
In the old days before unleaded gasoline, oil would stay amber (or original color) in the crankcase for a much longer period than it does today with unleaded fuel. The lead in the gasoline helped seal the rings (and valves for that matter) so you had less carbon getting past them. Unleaded fuel's combustion artifacts will blacken crankcase oil very quickly. It doesn't affect the performance of the oil, it just turns it black almost immediately. Like adding a drop of food coloring.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

That’s not true.. the oil just needs to meet the same standards. There are lots of oils out there that will do just that... but most of us just find it easier to buy the Honda stuff than scrutinize oil standards to save a few bucks.

Reactions: 0860silverado
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
How many did the subtrans on the 100 mile oil change? I did the engine but not the subtrans. I have plans on doing it also. Does everyone agree on doing it on the first oil change?

J

JTW

How many did the subtrans on the 100 mile oil change? I did the engine but not the subtrans. I have plans on doing it also. Does everyone agree on doing it on the first oil change?
I told the dealer to do it but he was convinced there was no point and didn’t.. after I switched tires I noticed A LOT more gear and overall noise on the machine, without the bighorn roar going down the blacktop. So before overland I changed gear and sub trans. I can’t tell a lot of difference. I even added a little heavier gear oil. But it only takes like a quart more oil to do the subtrans too. So why not?

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I told the dealer to do it but he was convinced there was no point and didn’t.. after I switched tires I noticed A LOT more gear and overall noise on the machine, without the bighorn roar going down the blacktop. So before overland I changed gear and sub trans. I can’t tell a lot of difference. I even added a little heavier gear oil. But it only takes like a quart more oil to do the subtrans too. So why not?
Same here. It takes 1.2 quarts so I filled with one quart Pennzoil SAE 30 and topped it off with Lucas oil stabilizer. No noticeable difference but I feel better.

Reactions: Tramguage1
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Same here. It takes 1.2 quarts so I filled with one quart Pennzoil SAE 30 and topped it off with Lucas oil stabilizer. No noticeable difference but I feel better.
Do you just put what ever is laying around in your pioneer?

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
No.. read the manual and it will tell you what specific qualities the oil need to have.
I know what to put in my pioneer and it sure isn't SAE 30. It should be 10w 30 or 10w 40.

Reactions: 0860silverado

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know what to put in my pioneer and it sure isn't SAE 30. It should be 10w 30 or 10w 40.
Engine oil yes, I know too, and I use Honda GN4 10W-30. Gear oil, nope. Good quality straight 30 with a little stabilizer is perfect. (When I say gear oil, I mean sub-transmission oil, not differential oil).

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It never ceases to amaze me.
People drop 13, 14, 18, 21,000 freaking dollars and put the cheapest no name oil in it.
Spend the $25 a gallon for the Honda Oil. Replace both filters every oil change.
Yep. Agreed! That's what I do too!

nerd

nerd

Aug 22, 2017
KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the great info! Ordered my supplies, plan to do the first service this week or weekend (whenever time/wife allows).

Question - is anyone actually checking valve clearance, and if so, how (in lay terms)? I called my dealer this morning and they said 20 hrs / 100 mi is too early to check the valves so they weren't doing them until the second service (I assume this is unofficial).

drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Actually yes.
Stick a screw driver in the spring hole. Otherwise.. Yes. It's a PITA.
View attachment 55226

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
Instead of a screw driver I used my little magnetic wand... Shop Hillman Telescoping Magnetic Pick Up Tool at Lowes.com
I used this also for getting the oil pan plug out because my fingers wouldn't fit that well in the access hole in the skid plate. Oh, and I used it when I dropped one of the springs too...:)
It's a handy little bugger

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!