Resource icon

P1000 Honda Pioneer 1000 Oil Change Guide!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone stripped the internal threads on the DCT filter? I have a bolt that just spins. Has anyone ever tried the fix thread inserts?
If the bolt freely spins in the case, retapping it will not help at all.
There are a few different style thread inserts out there.
Helicoil is a popular brand/style.
Another lesser known is timesert.
I believe this is a M6 thread.
Depending on the available thread depth in the case. I recommend the following repair insert. You will need minimum 10mm hole depth.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NWWGB5G/?tag=sxsweb24-20
If the depth is not available, order this helicoil kit and a 1/4" drill bit. Get the length drill bit that will fit. I don't remember if a reg length will fit in a drill, or if you need a short bit and 90deg drill.
https://www.amazon.com/Helicoil-5546-6-Metric-Coarse-Thread/dp/B0002KKPXK/?tag=sxsweb24-20

I have had great success using either insert. Choose whatever style you are comfortable with.

ibleedjohndeeregreen

ibleedjohndeeregreen

Jun 21, 2016
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ended up re taping the threads. I gingerly re tightened a new bolt and it snugged up

EBFF8F6E 030A 451B B613 73A1AC2A4CDE

Reactions: JTW
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
If the bolt freely spins in the case, retapping it will not help at all.
There are a few different style thread inserts out there.
Helicoil is a popular brand/style.
Another lesser known is timesert.
I believe this is a M6 thread.
Depending on the available thread depth in the case. I recommend the following repair insert. You will need minimum 10mm hole depth.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NWWGB5G/?tag=sxsweb24-20
If the depth is not available, order this helicoil kit and a 1/4" drill bit. Get the length drill bit that will fit. I don't remember if a reg length will fit in a drill, or if you need a short bit and 90deg drill.
https://www.amazon.com/Helicoil-5546-6-Metric-Coarse-Thread/dp/B0002KKPXK/?tag=sxsweb24-20

I have had great success using either insert. Choose whatever style you are comfortable with.
I meant with a larger bolt/thread size.
Should have said that.

Kilo427

Kilo427

Not about the destination Its about the journey
Lifetime Member
Dec 10, 2015
Have seen a few stripped, but It's such a small bolt, I would re-tap it before I did the inserts.
If you do, be sure to mark it, paint the head green and be sure to paint the hole green too to mark the re-taped hole.

Oh.. be sure to NOT use a torque wrench. This continues to happen over torque these bolts. Learn to feel it out.

I agree when I first took everything apart I tried to torque as it is in the manual several stretched and snapped later I just learn to feel it

D

Desmogger

May 23, 2018
Mariba, Ky. 40322
www.big4x4.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
How do you like the mirror? Just saw the box behind the oil bottles.;) Do you think the roll cage cargo bag would reduce visibility ?
Mirrow is a must and should be a Honda standard accessory and should come with machine as do seat belts!!! That is the first thing I added to mine.

Reactions: TimG
M

Mic

Jun 20, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What's with this procedure to check the oil level?
I was not getting consistent readings so I used a stop watch. Ran it for exactly 5 minutes then turned the engine off and tested at the following times:
1 minute - hit the lower mark on the dip stick
2 minutes - about 2/3 between upper and lower marks
3 minutes - at the top mark
4 minutes - over the top.
WTF... are we supposed to carry a stop watch. Then if its low you have to add a couple ounces and run it again for 5 minutes.
Anyone have an answer for this? The guide says 2minutes, my dealer says overnight is the truest reading. Any suggestions?

Reactions: TimG
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Not a problem hope it helps some people out. Note I am running Trail Armor skid plates so it will not look exactly the same underneath with OEM skids referring to the picture pointing out the three drain plugs.
Never watched this video before, great video! Wish I would have watched it before my first oil change. Had a flash light looking in every hole for the drain plugs, HA!

Reactions: Mudwing
ch33br0h

ch33br0h

Lifetime Member
Jul 7, 2018
Jardín, Antioquia - Colombia, South America!
Ownership

1. 1000-5
b00m!
ok- Awesome info here and I in ran in to do my first oil change this past weekend!
Also did the Sub-Trans while I was there. I buy oil in liters and doing both brought me to 7 liters.
HUGE thanks to the community here for putting together the how-to, I printed both out and headed down to the local garage where they allowed me to use their faciliites. The night before also watched the video that was created here and it was nice to already have an idea of what to do -before I started.

My oil did come out in what is almost new condition, but did find some small shavings when removing the larger filter.
Can confirm that it does get messy, in my situation it did not matter, but I do wonder if its worth the extra effort to simply remove the skid guards...

I tell you what...
makes me wonder if holding that button on the dash to reset the wrench icon, also sends a command to the ECU to change things up a notch.
My machine transformed Tremendously after those fluid changes.
It starts quicker, the shifting is Butter smooth, its running cooler and even seems like its burning less fuel now.

I'll be ordering some spare bolts to hold the filters in, spare gaskets, etc as they do seem delicate.

DA1C3116 40BF 44EB B779 4F0D04C4E6DC

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
b00m!
ok- Awesome info here and I in ran in to do my first oil change this past weekend!
Also did the Sub-Trans while I was there. I buy oil in liters and doing both brought me to 7 liters.
HUGE thanks to the community here for putting together the how-to, I printed both out and headed down to the local garage where they allowed me to use their faciliites. The night before also watched the video that was created here and it was nice to already have an idea of what to do -before I started.

My oil did come out in what is almost new condition, but did find some small shavings when removing the larger filter.
Can confirm that it does get messy, in my situation it did not matter, but I do wonder if its worth the extra effort to simply remove the skid guards...

I tell you what...
makes me wonder if holding that button on the dash to reset the wrench icon, also sends a command to the ECU to change things up a notch.
It starts quicker, the shifting is Butter smooth, its running cooler and even seems like its burning less fuel now.

I'll be ordering some spare bolts to hold the filters in, spare gaskets, etc as they do seem delicate.

View attachment 83031
After I performed my first oil change with skid plate intact and getting myself, my machine and my garage covered in oil, I have since removed it when changing oils. Much easier and no mess. Plus it allows you to inspect things like your intake tube etc for problems. Skids come off and replace really easily.

DarkHorse

DarkHorse

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2018
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone tried these oil filters? Hiflofiltro Premium Filters

I know, on a $20K machine, I shouldn't quibble over a few bucks here and there... but at 1/3 the price of genuine Honda filters, it's tempting.

They appear to get great reviews and are TÜV certified.

http://www.hiflofiltro.com/fileadmi...ium-Performance---Parts-Magazine-May-2011.pdf
http://www.hiflofiltro.com/fileadmi...n-Cleaner-Cleanest---Inside-Line-Oct-2001.pdf

On eBay, this 6 filter bundle is only $30, free shipping.

Honda Pioneer 1000 SXS1000 (All) ENGINE AND DCT TRANSMISSION FILTER 16-18 3 PACK | eBay

S l1600

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
b00m!

I tell you what...

View attachment 83031
I call foul, thats cheating, HA!

Reactions: ch33br0h
PawPaw

PawPaw

May 7, 2018
L.A. Lower Alabama
Ownership

1. 500
Reactions: ch33br0h
S

Sparky74

Can't get any of these links to work. This thread still operating?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!