Resource icon

P1000 Honda Pioneer 1000 Oil Change Guide!

K

kevin1234

Sep 29, 2016
ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Which has more oil in it, the oil tank, or the engine? I'm trying to figure out which of my used oil containers which are different sizes should go.
About3.7 litre in the rear drain and 2.3 or so in the middle plug

Reactions: MAINEYAK
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
First off, great thread, lots of excellent information here, thanks! I took video of my initial service which I'm sure isn't a perfect video, but may offer help to us hands on visual learners that need to be shown how to do things, lol.
Thanks for the video. This is a great video helping more users save some $.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Awesome thread, great instructions and comments!

I'm 100% positive I will be referring back to this when the time comes for me...

Reactions: MAINEYAK
Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Some guys have had an issue with oil getting all over the skid plate. You might try a couple of things that should help alleviate this problem. First, remove the oil fill cap before draining. Then drain the oil pan first before draining the oil tank. This relives some of the pressure that some guys are experiencing that is pushing the oil out of the oil tank plug and getting all over the skid plate.

Reactions: elkguide
K

kevin1234

Sep 29, 2016
ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the only way not to have a mess of oil is to take off skid plate .. them oil filters are the messy part.. draining I didn't have oil go on the skids.. it can happen I guess too bad there's not a plate to take off for the oil change and filters

Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
No, you don't have to remove the skid plate. A lot of us have not had a single drop of oil get on the skid plate. It's all about doing it in the correct order. Watch Maineyak's video he posted above. If done right, you shouldn't get anything on the skid. Drain the oil pan first!

Reactions: kevin1234
K

kevin1234

Sep 29, 2016
ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No, you don't have to remove the skid plate. A lot of us have not had a single drop of oil get on the skid plate. It's all about doing it in the correct order. Watch Maineyak's video he posted above. If done right, you shouldn't get anything on the skid. Drain the oil pan first!
I'll have to try that next time I did the oil tank first and had lost of oil still in the filters... I did run it to temperature before I drained it though. Don't know if it makes a difference but the oil flows really nice and fast

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thanks for the feedback. I can add all this in tomorrow.
Goal is to help the average Joe. So all those small issues you ran into is great info. If it will save time or trouble it is worth it.

Reactions: Manwell
K

kevin1234

Sep 29, 2016
ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the feedback. I can add all this in tomorrow.
Goal is to help the average Joe. So all those small issues you ran into is great info. If it will save time or trouble it is worth it.
That's great I had an idea of what I was going to be doing but once I read up and watched the videos it was so much easier
Lots of good info on this forum! Love it!

Reactions: Jshell3
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Updates
  • Section 4.1 added - *CAUTION* Both filters have a spring between the cover and the filter, be VERY CAREFUL when removing the spring will drop and get lost.
  • Reversed 3.1 and 3.2 to make oil tank drain be first.
  • Added video to 2nd post for easy reference for new readers.

K

kevin1234

Sep 29, 2016
ontario
Ownership

1. 1000-5

The Pioneer 1000 is a little different from your past Honda ATV or SxS's. With the 1000, there are 3 different categories that need to be discussed. We will try out best to cover them in detail. The idea is to help you complete the oil change at home on your own vs paying a dealer $$$ to do it!
  1. Engine Oil and Filter
  2. DCT Filter
  3. Sub Transmission - Change Guide HERE!
In this thread, we will ONLY be discussing the Engine Oil, Oil Filter, and DCT Filter.
***WARNING - DO NOT DRAIN THE WRONG PLUG!***

Before we start it is important that you locate each drain and be able to tell which one is for what. There are 3 drains and they can be easily mixed up causing you draining the wrong one!
View attachment 9436 View attachment 10697
  • Sub Transmission (closest to the front of the SxS)
  • Engine Oil (middle)
  • DCT Oil tank (closest to the rear of the SxS)
Supplies needed:
  • Flat Head Screw Driver or Fender Clip Removal Tool to remove the clips.
  • 12 mm Socket for Engine & DCT drain plugs.
  • 10mm Socket on 1/8" drive ratchet for filter covers.
  • Honda recommends a Torque wrench.
  • A Few Rags.
  • Two Oil Catch Pans.
  • Funnel with an extended tube to reach into the fill hole. I use a version of this funnel from Walmart, it lets you turn the flow on and off as well as measured calibrations on the side: FloTool Measu-Funnel, 7pc - Walmart.com
Required Oil and Filters:
  • OIL Filter Part Number - 15412-HP7-A01 - Buy Here
  • DCT Filter Part Number - 15412-MGS-D21 - Buy Here
  • Recommended Oil - Pro Honda GN4 10x30, 4-Stroke Motor Oil - Buy Here
    • 6.1 US qt (5.8 liters) after draining, Oil filter and DCT filter change.
    • 6.0 US qt (5.7 liters) after draining and ONLY engine oil filter change.
    • 5.8 US qt (5.5 liters) after drain ONLY!
Both the Owners manual and the Service Manual have a discrepancy with Oil drain with Engine filter change. All are correct at 6.1 for DCT,Engine, and oil drain of 6.1

Optional Parts
  • Engine Oil Filter
  • O-RING - Oil Filter Cover (75X2.5), Part# 91301-107-000
  • SPRING - Oil Part# 15414-KF0-000
  • Bolt - Cover - Oil (6X18), Part# 95701-06018-00
  • DCT
  • O-RING - DCT Filter Cover (39.8X2.2), Part# 91302-PA9-003
  • SPRING - DCT Part# 15414-MEB-670
  • Bolt - Cover - DCT (6X18), Part# 95701-06018-00
  • OIL DRAINS, Pan, and Tank.
  • Bolt - Oil Pan/Tank, Part# 90131-896-650
  • Washer - Oil Pan/Tank, Part# 94109-12000
GETTING STARTED!
Step 1 - Prepare the work area and the SxS:
Locate a safe and level spot to park the SxS.
Operate the SxS long enough to warm the engine. Around 5 minutes.
Drive to selected spot.
Insure SxS is in park.
Turn off and remove the key.

Step 2 - Accessing the Oil Fill Cap
Remove the rear mudguard lid under the cargo bed.
Loosen the Remove the Oil Fill Cap to allow faster drain.
View attachment 10695View attachment 10694

Step 3 - Drain the Oil:
3.1 - Drain Oil Tank
View attachment 10920

Place the a drain pan under the Oil Tank plug (The rear drain)
Remove the plug with a 12mm socket. Allow oil to drain.

3.2 - Drain Oil Pan

View attachment 10923View attachment 11068
Place a second oil drain pan under the Oil Pan drain plug. (the middle drain)
Remove the plug with a 12mm wrench. Note: oil will spurt straight out towards the driver's side edge of the SXS make sure you are clear so you do not get burned by hot oil. Be sure and have the drain pan in position to avoid spillage. Allow oil to drain.

*HINT* Draining the oil tank first will limit the pressure on the pan drain. It is likely you will get oil on the skid plate. Recommend pushing rags around the edge of the skid plate to help limit this.

Allow both to drain simultaneously until finished.
Reinstall both drain plugs with sealing washers.

Note: Honda recommends installing a NEW sealing washer.
Recommend torque specs are 30N.m (3.1 kgf, 22 lbf.ft).

Step 4 - Replacing the Filters:
View attachment 10698
Sitting by the rear driver wheel you can see and access both the Oil Filter and DCT Filter. Each is identified with markings of "ENG" and "DCT" stamped into the covers.

Step 4.1 - ENGINE OIL FILTER REPLACEMENT
View attachment 10700
Locate the filter cover with the "ENG" markings.
Remove the 3 bolts with a 10mm ratchet.

*CAUTION* Both filters have a spring between the cover and the filter, be VERY CAREFUL when removing the spring will drop and get lost.

View attachment 10950
Remove the filter and dispose of properly. Replace with a new filter in the correct order with the "OUTSIDE" marks facing OUT! Wet the O-rings with a light coating of oil.
NOTE: Honda recommends replacing the cover O-Ring. However many users/dealers only replace when damaged.

View attachment 10951
Re-install filter cover and SPRING with the "ENG" marks facing UP! Place and tighten the 3 Oil Filter Cover Bolts securely.
Recommend torque specs - 9 lbf.ft (12N.m , 1.2 kgf.m). We recommend using your judgment with a good and tight snug.

Step 4.2 - DCT FILTER REPLACEMENT
View attachment 10699
Locate the filter cover with the "DCT" markings.
Remove the 2 bolts with a 10mm socket.
Remove the Cover, Spring, and Filter. Spring will drop if not cautious.
The trick to removing filter is to stick a small screwdriver into the pressure relief hole as shown.

View attachment 10921
Remove the filter and dispose of properly. Replace with a new filter in the correct order with the "OUTSIDE" marks facing OUT! Wet the O-rings with a light coating of oil.
NOTE: Honda recommends replacing the cover O-Ring. However many users/dealers only replace when damaged.

View attachment 10922
Re-install filter cover and SPRING with the "DCT" marks facing UP! Place and tighten the 2 Oil Filter Cover Bolts securely.
Recommend torque specs - 9 lbf.ft (12N.m , 1.2 kgf.m). We recommend using your judgement.
View attachment 10924

Filter comparison Old vs. New, pictured are the filters from initial service oil change.
View attachment 10702

Step 5 - Replacing the OIL:
View attachment 10696
Replace the Oil with the recommended oil.
The Pioneer 1000 (both M3 and M5) require 5.8 Liters (6.1 US qt) of oil to fill after a drain and both filter changes! To refill, place a funnel in the oil filler hole shown in step 1, refill with the required amount of oil.
Tighten the cap once completed.

Step 6 - Checking the Oil
View attachment 10703
Park SxS on level surface, Start and run the engine at idle for 3-5 minuets. Stop the engine and allow to sit for 2 minuets.
Check that the oil is filled properly using the dip stick located:
-- 1000-3: Under cargo bed, behind the drivers seat.
-- 1000-5: Under cargo bed, drivers side, rear footwell, under the rubber flap.

View attachment 10952
Remove the dip stick and wipe clean. Insert the dip stick into the hole without screwing it in. Remove and check the level by looking for oil between the UPPER and LOWER mark as shown Above. The yellow line is my oil level. Perfect between both marks.

If low, re-do the check. If still low, add oil until the reading is between the UPPER and LOWER marks.
DO NOT OVERFILL!
If between the marks, Install dipstick and hand tighten.
Check all plugs and filters to make sure there are on leaks.

Step 7 - Finishing up
Finally, Re-Install the MudGuard from Step 1 and clean up your work area.
Crank and run the SxS for about 5 minutes.
Check all plugs and filters for leaks.

[maint minder]
Step 8 - Resetting the Maintenance Minder Indicator
View attachment 10953

The Maintenance Minder Indicator will appear in the main display when you have reached a maintenance period suggested by the Honda maintenance schedule.
The wrench will appear in the display at the following periods:
  • Initial Maintenance – 100 miles or 20 hours!
  • Regular Maintenance Interval 1 – 600 miles
  • Regular Maintenance Interval 2 – 600 miles after interval 1 is performed and reset.
View the full Maintenance Schedule HERE

Resetting it
To reset the Maintenance Minder Indicator:
Place the ignition switch in the off position.
Hold the SEL/SET button on the display down
View attachment 10957
Turn the ignition switch to the on position. Do not crank!
Continue holding the button until the wrench blinks twice, Approx. 2 seconds.

The Maintenance Minder as well as the maintenance trip meter and maintenance hour meter will be reset.
View attachment 10954

Now you are all set and ready to hit the trail.
Good luck and be safe.

Step 9 - Posting about this guide!
If you found this guide useful please post and let us know. Not only does it show its use, it also bumps the post for other members to see and save some $$$ changing their own oil!

If you need further help please post below.
If you see an error, mistake or something out of order please let us know so it can be corrected.
Note: We make no claims of accuracy. Please referee to the service manual for official instructions.
Looks good this is exactly how I done my oil change and went smooth

Reactions: Danl and Hondasxs
JimH1

JimH1

Sep 27, 2016
Duluth MN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This is a great tutorial. Looks like I can save a few nickles by doing it myself.

Reactions: Hondasxs
lrandy129

lrandy129

Curmudgeon
Lifetime Member
Nov 4, 2016
NELA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the guide; nicely done.

Might want to add a footnote to section "Step 4.2 - DCT FILTER REPLACEMENT" to verify that the rubber gasket on the engine side of the DCT filter comes out with the filter. Mine pulled out of the filter and stayed on the engine. Same thing could happen on the engine oil filter as well, but the fit on mine wasn't as tight as the DCT. It should be pretty obvious if it didn't come out when you go to reassemble as the filter wouldn't seat in far enough to get the cap on, but a note to check might save someone from forcing it and creating a mess.

K

kdgtrapper

Jan 9, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5

The Pioneer 1000 is a little different from your past Honda ATV or SxS's. With the 1000, there are 3 different categories that need to be discussed. We will try out best to cover them in detail. The idea is to help you complete the oil change at home on your own vs paying a dealer $$$ to do it!
  1. Engine Oil and Filter
  2. DCT Filter
  3. Sub Transmission - Change Guide HERE!
In this thread, we will ONLY be discussing the Engine Oil, Oil Filter, and DCT Filter.
***WARNING - DO NOT DRAIN THE WRONG PLUG!***

Before we start it is important that you locate each drain and be able to tell which one is for what. There are 3 drains and they can be easily mixed up causing you draining the wrong one!
View attachment 9436 View attachment 10697
  • Sub Transmission (closest to the front of the SxS)
  • Engine Oil (middle)
  • DCT Oil tank (closest to the rear of the SxS)
Supplies needed:
  • Flat Head Screw Driver or Fender Clip Removal Tool to remove the clips.
  • 12 mm Socket for Engine & DCT drain plugs.
  • 10mm Socket on 1/8" drive ratchet for filter covers.
  • Honda recommends a Torque wrench.
  • A Few Rags.
  • Two Oil Catch Pans.
  • Funnel with an extended tube to reach into the fill hole. I use a version of this funnel from Walmart, it lets you turn the flow on and off as well as measured calibrations on the side: FloTool Measu-Funnel, 7pc - Walmart.com
Required Oil and Filters:
  • OIL Filter Part Number - 15412-HP7-A01 - Buy Here
  • DCT Filter Part Number - 15412-MGS-D21 - Buy Here
  • Recommended Oil - Pro Honda GN4 10x30, 4-Stroke Motor Oil - Buy Here
    • 6.1 US qt (5.8 liters) after draining, Oil filter and DCT filter change.
    • 6.0 US qt (5.7 liters) after draining and ONLY engine oil filter change.
    • 5.8 US qt (5.5 liters) after drain ONLY!
Both the Owners manual and the Service Manual have a discrepancy with Oil drain with Engine filter change. All are correct at 6.1 for DCT,Engine, and oil drain of 6.1

Optional Parts
  • Engine Oil Filter
  • O-RING - Oil Filter Cover (75X2.5), Part# 91301-107-000
  • SPRING - Oil Part# 15414-KF0-000
  • Bolt - Cover - Oil (6X18), Part# 95701-06018-00
  • DCT
  • O-RING - DCT Filter Cover (39.8X2.2), Part# 91302-PA9-003
  • SPRING - DCT Part# 15414-MEB-670
  • Bolt - Cover - DCT (6X18), Part# 95701-06018-00
  • OIL DRAINS, Pan, and Tank.
  • Bolt - Oil Pan/Tank, Part# 90131-896-650
  • Washer - Oil Pan/Tank, Part# 94109-12000
GETTING STARTED!
Step 1 - Prepare the work area and the SxS:
Locate a safe and level spot to park the SxS.
Operate the SxS long enough to warm the engine. Around 5 minutes.
Drive to selected spot.
Insure SxS is in park.
Turn off and remove the key.

Step 2 - Accessing the Oil Fill Cap
Remove the rear mudguard lid under the cargo bed.
Loosen the Remove the Oil Fill Cap to allow faster drain.
View attachment 10695View attachment 10694

Step 3 - Drain the Oil:
3.1 - Drain Oil Tank
View attachment 10920

Place the a drain pan under the Oil Tank plug (The rear drain)
Remove the plug with a 12mm socket. Allow oil to drain.

3.2 - Drain Oil Pan

View attachment 10923View attachment 11068
Place a second oil drain pan under the Oil Pan drain plug. (the middle drain)
Remove the plug with a 12mm wrench. Note: oil will spurt straight out towards the driver's side edge of the SXS make sure you are clear so you do not get burned by hot oil. Be sure and have the drain pan in position to avoid spillage. Allow oil to drain.

*HINT* Draining the oil tank first will limit the pressure on the pan drain. It is likely you will get oil on the skid plate. Recommend pushing rags around the edge of the skid plate to help limit this.

Allow both to drain simultaneously until finished.
Reinstall both drain plugs with sealing washers.

Note: Honda recommends installing a NEW sealing washer.
Recommend torque specs are 30N.m (3.1 kgf, 22 lbf.ft).

Step 4 - Replacing the Filters:
View attachment 10698
Sitting by the rear driver wheel you can see and access both the Oil Filter and DCT Filter. Each is identified with markings of "ENG" and "DCT" stamped into the covers.

Step 4.1 - ENGINE OIL FILTER REPLACEMENT
View attachment 10700
Locate the filter cover with the "ENG" markings.
Remove the 3 bolts with a 10mm ratchet.

*CAUTION* Both filters have a spring between the cover and the filter, be VERY CAREFUL when removing the spring will drop and get lost.

View attachment 10950

View attachment 10951
Re-install filter cover and SPRING with the "ENG" marks facing UP! Place and tighten the 3 Oil Filter Cover Bolts securely.
Recommend torque specs - 9 lbf.ft (12N.m , 1.2 kgf.m). We recommend using your judgment with a good and tight snug.

Step 4.2 - DCT FILTER REPLACEMENT
View attachment 10699
Locate the filter cover with the "DCT" markings.
Remove the 2 bolts with a 10mm socket.
Remove the Cover, Spring, and Filter. Spring will drop if not cautious.
The trick to removing filter is to stick a small screwdriver into the pressure relief hole as shown.

View attachment 10921

View attachment 10922
Re-install filter cover and SPRING with the "DCT" marks facing UP! Place and tighten the 2 Oil Filter Cover Bolts securely.
Recommend torque specs - 9 lbf.ft (12N.m , 1.2 kgf.m). We recommend using your judgement.
View attachment 10924

Filter comparison Old vs. New, pictured are the filters from initial service oil change.
View attachment 10702

Step 5 - Replacing the OIL:
View attachment 10696
Replace the Oil with the recommended oil.
The Pioneer 1000 (both M3 and M5) require 5.8 Liters (6.1 US qt) of oil to fill after a drain and both filter changes! To refill, place a funnel in the oil filler hole shown in step 1, refill with the required amount of oil.
Tighten the cap once completed.

Step 6 - Checking the Oil
View attachment 10703
Park SxS on level surface, Start and run the engine at idle for 3-5 minuets. Stop the engine and allow to sit for 2 minuets.
Check that the oil is filled properly using the dip stick located:
-- 1000-3: Under cargo bed, behind the drivers seat.
-- 1000-5: Under cargo bed, drivers side, rear footwell, under the rubber flap.

View attachment 10952
Remove the dip stick and wipe clean. Insert the dip stick into the hole without screwing it in. Remove and check the level by looking for oil between the UPPER and LOWER mark as shown Above. The yellow line is my oil level. Perfect between both marks.

If low, re-do the check. If still low, add oil until the reading is between the UPPER and LOWER marks.
DO NOT OVERFILL!
If between the marks, Install dipstick and hand tighten.
Check all plugs and filters to make sure there are on leaks.

Step 7 - Finishing up
Finally, Re-Install the MudGuard from Step 1 and clean up your work area.
Crank and run the SxS for about 5 minutes.
Check all plugs and filters for leaks.

[maint minder]
Step 8 - Resetting the Maintenance Minder Indicator
View attachment 10953

The Maintenance Minder Indicator will appear in the main display when you have reached a maintenance period suggested by the Honda maintenance schedule.
The wrench will appear in the display at the following periods:
  • Initial Maintenance – 100 miles or 20 hours!
  • Regular Maintenance Interval 1 – 600 miles
  • Regular Maintenance Interval 2 – 600 miles after interval 1 is performed and reset.
View the full Maintenance Schedule HERE

Resetting it
To reset the Maintenance Minder Indicator:
Place the ignition switch in the off position.
Hold the SEL/SET button on the display down
View attachment 10957
Turn the ignition switch to the on position. Do not crank!
Continue holding the button until the wrench blinks twice, Approx. 2 seconds.

The Maintenance Minder as well as the maintenance trip meter and maintenance hour meter will be reset.
View attachment 10954

Now you are all set and ready to hit the trail.
Good luck and be safe.

Step 9 - Posting about this guide!
If you found this guide useful please post and let us know. Not only does it show its use, it also bumps the post for other members to see and save some $$$ changing their own oil!

If you need further help please post below.
If you see an error, mistake or something out of order please let us know so it can be corrected.
Note: We make no claims of accuracy. Please referee to the service manual for official instructions.

Just found this forum a couple weeks ago. Way impressed with the great "how to" guides, links for parts and advice on add-on's! Thanks. First oil change with your guide and help from this little girl. 3212e512fdcd43e762bfbff64880384e

21C18037 C4D3 48E9 A6F3 3924ED7EE590

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Excellent news @kdgtrapper.
Welcome to the club and thanks for the feedback.
Its nowhere near perfect but if it saved you some time and $$$ then that's exactly why we built it.

@lrandy129
I'll look into your suggestion right now. Thanks.

DFWJ

DFWJ

Aug 27, 2016
DFW
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Great write up. This really helped when doing my initial oil change. I'm sure I will reference this page again.

Thanks for taking the time to post in such great detail.

J

Jshell3

This got done tonight @94 miles!

Oil looked oh so clean. Filters, too... but nonetheless, I changed it anyhow.

Tbh, some of you had me nervous on the dipstick, but I got it first try.

Thanks HondaSxS members for saving me some coin. And for the sense of accomplishment, to boot. !!!

Reactions: JTW
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thanks for this walk-through. I used it myself. Lol. Changed mine tonight.
Thought the filters were a little dark. But I have been having some alpha clutch high revs. I think we know whats coming with that.

Left filter is just for comparison.

5a0db41ed8d4be94490b0d577391dd6e

Reactions: JTW and Jshell3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!