P1000 , Honda pioneer 1000 will not shift into any of the gears

Sawpilot

Sawpilot

Sep 6, 2018
West Virginia
barnwoodbuilds.com
Ownership

1. Talon R
my pioneer 1000 will not go into any gear and the idol is oscillating. It seems like it’s going into gear it just won’t move and the gear selector has a Dash in every gear, Oil was darker but did not smell burnt just smelled like regular used motor oil, no metal shavings in the filters when I cut them open. 800 miles on the SxS. Any ideas I’m stumped
oh and when I turn the key on before it starts I only get the oil light no other lights indicate kinda strange

Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I would check your shift cable or linkage. Make sure it was tight from factory and didn't come disconnected.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lady01 and ChadD
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
If the problem persists after checking the shift cable as suggested above, my guess is the condition could be caused by clutch failure.

I'm a newcomer to side by sides. I owned a 2020 Talon for a few months and only about 300 miles last year and now a 2021 Pioneer 1000 for about three or four months and 200 miles so I have less experience with the Honda DCT than almost everyone on the forum but I'm an "old car" guy who has been reading about and operating cars, trucks, rvs, motorcycles, and boats since the 1940s.

I'm a big fan of DCT transmissions. A true believer. But I know they can be damaged by applying power against an immovable load. What I mean is attempting climb over a fallen tree truck, large rock, or other large object by applying heavy throttle for an extended period of time when your buggy is unable to move. It would be called slipping the clutch if done with a manual transmission. That particular practice causes excessive friction, overheating of transmission fluid, and rapid wear of the clutches.

I haven't seen the issue or the result discussed here and don't know if it's common.

I owned a Volkswagen Jetta wagon with the turbodiesel TDI engine and DCT transmission. The owners manual warned against allowing the car to strain against a load with heavy throttle. The VW DCT and Honda DCT are not identical but I'm sure their design is very similar.

A DCT is basically two small mechanical gear trains, one above or beside the other, each mounted behind a tiny computer controlled clutch. One of the mini-transmissions contains gears 1-3-5 and the other contains gears 2-4-6.

When the vehicle is stopped, the computer selects gear #1 and when throttle is applied the computer begins engagemen of the mini-clutch for that gear.

Reactions: Lady01 and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
If the problem persists after checking the shift cable as suggested above, my guess is the condition could be caused by clutch failure.

I'm a newcomer to side by sides. I owned a 2020 Talon for a few months and only about 300 miles last year and now a 2021 Pioneer 1000 for about three or four months and 200 miles so I have less experience with the Honda DCT than almost everyone on the forum but I'm an "old car" guy who has been reading about and operating cars, trucks, rvs, motorcycles, and boats since the 1940s.

I'm a big fan of DCT transmissions. A true believer. But I know they can be damaged by applying power against an immovable load. What I mean is attempting climb over a fallen tree truck, large rock, or other large object by applying heavy throttle for an extended period of time when your buggy is unable to move. It would be called slipping the clutch if done with a manual transmission. That particular practice causes excessive friction, overheating of transmission fluid, and rapid wear of the clutches.

I haven't seen the issue or the result discussed here and don't know if it's common.

I owned a Volkswagen Jetta wagon with the turbodiesel TDI engine and DCT transmission. The owners manual warned against allowing the car to strain against a load with heavy throttle. The VW DCT and Honda DCT are not identical but I'm sure their design is very similar.

A DCT is basically two small mechanical gear trains, one above or beside the other, each mounted behind a tiny computer controlled clutch. One of the mini-transmissions contains gears 1-3-5 and the other contains gears 2-4-6.

When the vehicle is stopped, the computer selects gear #1 and when throttle is applied the computer begins engagemen of the mini-clutch for that gear.

View attachment 260560
I'm fairly new to SxSs myself but have experienced the 'DCT bog' 3 times in 2300 miles in my Talon. As I understand it - our idle speed is 1500 rpm and our clutches engage at 1800 rpm and there simply isn't enough torque available down there to overcome a heavy 'start' load.

For the curious, I got it on video at 25:15 (some have already seen this). Note that I don't keep it pinned, saving the clutches - a gentle 'bump' is all it took.

Reactions: Lady01 and HBarlow
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I like your term, "gentle bump."

A driver could also back off a couple of inches before climbing over the obstacle.

Anything to get the engine into the power banc to quickly start the load rolling will do..

Reactions: Lady01 and CID
Gabbas

Gabbas

May 17, 2020
Humboldt, Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm fairly new to SxSs myself but have experienced the 'DCT bog' 3 times in 2300 miles in my Talon. As I understand it - our idle speed is 1500 rpm and our clutches engage at 1800 rpm and there simply isn't enough torque available down there to overcome a heavy 'start' load.

For the curious, I got it on video at 25:15 (some have already seen this). Note that I don't keep it pinned, saving the clutches - a gentle 'bump' is all it took.
This is why I never wanted to worry about it. By having custom tuning done, it changes the engagement of the clutch. It also makes it that if the clutches slip the engine dies. I can climb things now that I had trouble with before. I never like the idea of "getting a little running start". I think that may be the contributing factor to the bent control arm tabs. Lol.

But to the OP if all of your mechanicals are in order, hooked up and moving linkage, try a clutch relearn procedure. Wish you the best.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!