Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Tflynn submitted a new resource:

Honda Pioneer 700 oil change guide - Honda Pioneer 700 oil change guide

View attachment 10000

I changed my oil today and I thought I would snap some photos and go through the steps for anyone that hasn't done it before. I'm no Honda mechanic so please just use this as a guide, any questions or confusion please ask.

What you'll need-
10mm socket
12mm socket
17mm socket
Ratchet for sockets listed above
Flat head screwdriver (maybe)
3.1 quarts of oil (I use 10w30)
Oil filter
Drain pan
Rags and gloves are a good idea!

Two things before you begin- First,...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks perfect but the only other thing I would add, would pay attention when filling it. The oil running throw the rubber hose takes for over to travel through it and I always spill some on the exhaust, throwing my capacity off and stinking up the machine. The nice thing is that the oil usually burns off in about 600 miles. So about the time to do it again. Good write up.

Reactions: monkfarm
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thank you @tjoreo. You make a good point...and it's nice to know someone else has that problem! Thought it was just me

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Looks perfect but the only other thing I would add, would pay attention when filling it. The oil running throw the rubber hose takes for over to travel through it and I always spill some on the exhaust, throwing my capacity off and stinking up the machine. The nice thing is that the oil usually burns off in about 600 miles. So about the time to do it again. Good write up.
Ok I added an edit to cover this. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

bagotaco

bagotaco

Apr 16, 2015
Nice writeup. I'm about to do mine. I'm also looking to see if they make the reusable stainless steel filters for it. I've been using them for years on my dirt bike with no problems. One will last 20-30 oil changes if not more

Reactions: Hondasxs
V

vwprostock

Apr 15, 2016
Flower Mound, TX
Did I read where Honda recomends replacing the o-ring on the drain plug every oil change? I have done two changes now and it looks fine, but was curious if anyone else changes it.

I am in the auto parts business, and when o-rings are highly advisable to change, they come in a kit. I would think Honda would make a kit with filter, filter o-ring, and drain plug o-ring.

Looking a the parts diagram, that o-ring is not sold seperately but comes with the new drain plug...seems odd.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Rupert and joeymt33
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Did I read where Honda recomends replacing the o-ring on the drain plug every oil change? I have done two changes now and it looks fine, but was curious if anyone else changes it.

I am in the auto parts business, and when o-rings are highly advisable to change, they come in a kit. I would think Honda would make a kit with filter, filter o-ring, and drain plug o-ring.

Looking a the parts diagram, that o-ring is not sold seperately but comes with the new drain plug...seems odd.

Thoughts?
Yes they recommend changing O-ring and crush washer with every change.

I've got almost 4000 miles and maybe 6 oil changes and never changed either. No leaks or problems to report.

Reactions: joeymt33
Kleever

Kleever

Jun 2, 2016
Upper Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-4
Finished the 100 mile oil change, and differential check yesterday. Hardest part for me was getting the access panel bolts off. First three were tight, last one was a bugger as I couldn't get both hands free one to hold the panel, and it wanted to twist around and the other to turn the ratchet. Next time going to find the lift points, and put her up on the jack.
Having the correct size sockets for all three bolts was a real plus considering the tight locations. Sure beats my usual way of looking , guessing a size and testing until finding the correct size sockets LOL. Thanks again for this post. From what I understand my dealer charges over $100.00 for the first check up, so saved me $$, and I know it's done right. Ready to get dirty again!

Reactions: joeymt33 and Tflynn
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Finished the 100 mile oil change, and differential check yesterday. Hardest part for me was getting the access panel bolts off. First three were tight, last one was a bugger as I couldn't get both hands free one to hold the panel, and it wanted to twist around and the other to turn the ratchet. Next time going to find the lift points, and put her up on the jack.
Having the correct size sockets for all three bolts was a real plus considering the tight locations. Sure beats my usual way of looking , guessing a size and testing until finding the correct size sockets LOL. Thanks again for this post. From what I understand my dealer charges over $100.00 for the first check up, so saved me $$, and I know it's done right. Ready to get dirty again!
Sounds like you got $100 for some accessories! I should have said in the original post that I spray the 4 access panel bolts with wd-40 or anti-seize before putting them back on and it seems to help make them easier to remove again next time.

Reactions: monkfarm
Kleever

Kleever

Jun 2, 2016
Upper Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sounds like you got $100 for some accessories! I should have said in the original post that I spray the 4 access panel bolts with wd-40 or anti-seize before putting them back on and it seems to help make them easier to remove again next time.
Yep, that hundred bucks is going for a rear cover - I found with the full hard top, and a solid front windshield, the interior is a dust magnet.
Hoping that helps out - Know we're never going to keep it out totally, but not really enjoying the dirt baths

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yep, that hundred bucks is going for a rear cover - I found with the full hard top, and a solid front windshield, the interior is a dust magnet.
Hoping that helps out - Know we're never going to keep it out totally, but not really enjoying the dirt baths
Yeah the rear cover is supposed to help big time with dust in the cab

Kleever

Kleever

Jun 2, 2016
Upper Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yeah the rear cover is supposed to help big time with dust in the cab
Got the rear cover - $116 or so off Amazon, and delivered right to my door in 2 days via prime
So far we've received rain about every other day, but know it keeps the mud off the back passengers, and seems to help keep out more of the small leaf and sticks. Mom is really enjoying getting out to remote areas to find blueberries. Our favorite spot to pick before has been found and seems like everyone in the territory is out there now. She is a true fan now

Reactions: Tflynn
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rear curtain helps out a great deal. It is a total night and day difference. One thing to be mindful of, as some others have posted on here, is to check and maintain your air filter more frequently. I have noticed mine getting dirtier faster with the rear on, but I wouldn't leave home without it.

Reactions: Kleever
Kleever

Kleever

Jun 2, 2016
Upper Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-4
Rear curtain helps out a great deal. It is a total night and day difference. One thing to be mindful of, as some others have posted on here, is to check and maintain your air filter more frequently. I have noticed mine getting dirtier faster with the rear on, but I wouldn't leave home without it.
Thanks for the heads up - I bought the K&N black pre-filter and put that on before I had 30 miles on the unit. I'm hoping that helps keep things cleaner. Next time I wash, going to check to see how it performs after 150 miles. This forum is great. I also enjoy the pictures of the girls on the road kill t-shirt ads!

Rcfire

Rcfire

May 9, 2016
Florida
Ownership

1. 700-4
To get to the filter you must first remove the seat and open the rubber flap that is under the passenger side. The flap also gives access to the battery.
View attachment 9559
Seat removed and flaps up.
View attachment 9560
You will need to put another drain pan under the filter (there is a hole in the skid plate) and remove the 12mm bolt in the center of the round cap pictured above.
View attachment 9561
Removing bolt...
View attachment 9562
Here you can see the bolt removed. It's better to not pull it out completely so the filter assembly comes out as one (picture to follow). If the filter cap is stuck you may have to GENTLY pry it off with a screwdriver-
View attachment 9563
Once the cap comes off you can pull the cap, filter, and bolt out all together, and this is what you get-
View attachment 9564
Now you can pull the filter off and put a new one on. Two things to pay attention to-
View attachment 9565
Notice the spring on the filter cap/bolt and the metal washer on the filter
View attachment 9566View attachment 9567
When putting on the new filter it can go either way but the metal washer must be on the side toward the cap and spring. Apply a bit of oil to the rubber gaskets on the filter and install. Now it's ready to go back in.
View attachment 9568View attachment 9569View attachment 9570
what about the 3 0 rings I read about in some other spots

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!