BOX1
Resource icon

P700 Honda Pioneer 700 oil change guide

V

vwprostock

Apr 15, 2016
Flower Mound, TX
Wanted to add a tidbit to this....watch your oil filters. While maintaining my old 08' CRF450X I bought a non Honda oil filter (they make air filters too) for it, it had one in it, etc.

Took the old one out and put the new one on the cap as the cap has an oil port that fits in the middle of the filter. For 10-15 oil changes previously the cap would fit snug inside the filter, allowing me to insert the entire deal back into the engine. Well..this one fell off. Not a tad lose, I mean did not fit on the center oil port at all. Started looking through my stash and had another one. Upon looking, one just had the K&N part number, one had made in China on it. Once I measure it that o-ring port was (going off memory) .050" bigger than even the old one coming out.

I let my local shop where I bought it know and they had never heard of the issue but we pulled 4-5 off the shelf and they had a mixture of good vs bad. I emailed K&N, as I am in the auto parts distribution business, stuff happens, etc. As I type this, that was 2 years ago and never a reply from them, so I avoid that brand of oil filters due to massive variations in fit/spec and their uncaring/lack of response.

For the price, just stick with the Honda filter is my point and opinion.

eastenn

eastenn

Dec 18, 2016
Bristol TN
www.fb.com
Ownership

1. 700-4
Finished my first oil change. Damnit.

IMG 0529

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah I'm going to buy more oil tmrw and just pull the filter.. hopefully I won't lose too much.
Do you have a way to tilt it to its side and would it still be accessible?
I have changed a water pump on my Rincon in this manner without loosing a drop of oil.

Reactions: Tflynn
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
If you haven't started it yet you should be able to just pull it right back out. But I'm guessing you've started it already.

eastenn

eastenn

Dec 18, 2016
Bristol TN
www.fb.com
Ownership

1. 700-4
Yeah I did start it to check for leaks. And I don't have an easy way to lean it over. No big deal, you can bet I'll remember next time lol.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ha yeah lesson learned right? Oh well you won't lose more than half a quart anyway, no big deal.

JeffEvans

JeffEvans

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2016
Arlington, TN
Ownership

1. 700-2
Nice job on the write up! No doubt it will help riders who don't do the mechanical stuff very often! Definitely a money saver for everyone if they don't mind doing it themselves!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

T

teejk

Jun 5, 2017
Hatfield Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-2
Did I read where Honda recomends replacing the o-ring on the drain plug every oil change? I have done two changes now and it looks fine, but was curious if anyone else changes it.

I am in the auto parts business, and when o-rings are highly advisable to change, they come in a kit. I would think Honda would make a kit with filter, filter o-ring, and drain plug o-ring.

Looking a the parts diagram, that o-ring is not sold seperately but comes with the new drain plug...seems odd.

Thoughts?
Got my "Official" service manual in the mail yesterday and did a little reading today. Here's what I gleaned from the maintenance schedule when it comes to seals/gaskets/O-rings...first and foremost the valve clearance checks and the oil changes (with filters) are on the same schedule (initial 100 miles/20 hours, etc. then every 600 miles/?hours thereafter). If you follow the manual you will need:
1)seal washer for the drain plug
2)O-ring for the drain plug
3)Large O-ring for the oil filter cover
4)Small O-ring for the oil filter bolt
5)Two O-rings for the valve adjustment caps
6)O-ring for the timing hole
7)O-ring for the crankshaft hole

That's a lot of stuff!

T

teejk

Jun 5, 2017
Hatfield Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ok then...as noted a few minutes ago, I got my "Official" service manual in the mail yesterday...when I picked up the machine in late October I bought enough oil/filters for 2 oil changes (OUCH). Guess there is not much I can do about filters (15412-KEA-003) but what about that Honda GN4 10W30 oil?

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ok then...as noted a few minutes ago, I got my "Official" service manual in the mail yesterday...when I picked up the machine in late October I bought enough oil/filters for 2 oil changes (OUCH). Guess there is not much I can do about filters (15412-KEA-003) but what about that Honda GN4 10W30 oil?
Did you buy oil and filters last October?
Help me understand the question.

T

teejk

Jun 5, 2017
Hatfield Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-2
Did you buy oil and filters last October?
Help me understand the question.
Sorry for the confusion...yes I have 2 gallons of Honda GN4 and 2 oil filters. Looking at the manual I'm just wondering whether that expensive Honda oil is required in the future.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sorry for the confusion...yes I have 2 gallons of Honda GN4 and 2 oil filters. Looking at the manual I'm just wondering whether that expensive Honda oil is required in the future.
You'll want to make sure that you are running an oil that is compatible with transmission and wet clutch that are used in atvs and motorcycles. If you look the honda oil is pretty comparable in price to other motorcycle oils. Make sure it has the MA rating on the bottle. I have actually been running Rotella T6 in mine and after about 4000 miles it seems to be working well. One other thing you want to make sure is to keep pretty good track of the air filter. Its location on the machine makes it pretty prone to getting dirty pretty fast. I usually change mine out about 150 miles depending on where we ride and the time of year. Enjoy that new rig and I suspect with a little maintenance you will get many thousands of miles out of it.

T

teejk

Jun 5, 2017
Hatfield Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 700-2
You'll want to make sure that you are running an oil that is compatible with transmission and wet clutch that are used in atvs and motorcycles. If you look the honda oil is pretty comparable in price to other motorcycle oils. Make sure it has the MA rating on the bottle. I have actually been running Rotella T6 in mine and after about 4000 miles it seems to be working well. One other thing you want to make sure is to keep pretty good track of the air filter. Its location on the machine makes it pretty prone to getting dirty pretty fast. I usually change mine out about 150 miles depending on where we ride and the time of year. Enjoy that new rig and I suspect with a little maintenance you will get many thousands of miles out of it.
Thanks! The Honda dealer network around here seems to be collapsing rapidly so I have tended to rely on the internet for maintenance parts. Will add air filters to my shopping list.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have found that Rocky Mountain ATV is pretty reasonable on parts and I think if you spend $75 it is free shipping. I think it is a flat $7 if you don't spend that much.

Reactions: bigbruse and Tflynn
William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Using this guide Sunday to change the oil the first time in my 700... using it at camp tomorrow and it will be over by an hour or two... It’s gonna take me forever to get to the second service!!! Jk I just change oil yearly bc I don’t put many miles on mine...

Reactions: Tflynn and Mudwing
William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I changed the oil in mine today and the 700 is way easier than the 500!!! Didn’t take long at all... I put the washer on for sure...Runs a lot smoother and quieter now, and I just used the cheap valvoline atv/sxs conventional oil from Walmart...

Reactions: Tflynn and Hondasxs
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I changed the oil in mine today and the 700 is way easier than the 500!!! Didn’t take long at all... I put the washer on for sure...Runs a lot smoother and quieter now, and I just used the cheap valvoline atv/sxs conventional oil from Walmart...
That's great! I have heard the 500 is a pain to change the oil. On your next service try Honda synthetic oil. Yes it's outrageously expensive but it really smoothes out shifting

William

William

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's great! I have heard the 500 is a pain to change the oil. On your next service try Honda synthetic oil. Yes it's outrageously expensive but it really smoothes out shifting

Yeah I used it in my 500... it was quieter but the shifting wasn’t much different... I don’t want to have to buy oil at the dealer when there are 3 auto parts stores and a Walmart by my house... I’ve used syn and conventional on and off for years and really didn’t notice much difference. I’m back to the oil is oil mindset again... lol... I may just try the Mobil 1 4t motorcycle oil next time to see if it does better on the 700... Walmart has it...

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!