Resource icon

P700 Honda Pioneer 700 oil change guide

J

Jimmyblood

Aug 29, 2018
Spokane wa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hello I am new here, as in my very first post on anything ever lol I am sure this has been asked 100 times but I ride my pioneer on a min of 30 miles a trip, almost always at 30 mph or less, i do not like driving at high revs, I have 1200 miles on it with less than 60 hours on it and have changed the oil at a 100 and at 600 miles, all my riding is easy and will add up fast so I am wondering if I really need to change it every 600, just seems excessive

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hello I am new here, as in my very first post on anything ever lol I am sure this has been asked 100 times but I ride my pioneer on a min of 30 miles a trip, almost always at 30 mph or less, i do not like driving at high revs, I have 1200 miles on it with less than 60 hours on it and have changed the oil at a 100 and at 600 miles, all my riding is easy and will add up fast so I am wondering if I really need to change it every 600, just seems excessive
First of all, welcome to the club!

I’m not really qualified to answer this question. Putting off maintenance is really never recommended but I suppose you could go off of hours rather than miles. Me personally, I would change at 600 miles as recommended, cheap insurance in my mind. But I know plenty of farmers that change the oil on their atvs (all farmers use Hondas) once a year regardless of use and they seem to last a long time.

So, your machine, your money, your decision!

Reactions: jinx
J

Jimmyblood

Aug 29, 2018
Spokane wa
Ownership

1. 700-4
First of all, welcome to the club!

I’m not really qualified to answer this question. Putting off maintenance is really never recommended but I suppose you could go off of hours rather than miles. Me personally, I would change at 600 miles as recommended, cheap insurance in my mind. But I know plenty of farmers that change the oil on their atvs (all farmers use Hondas) once a year regardless of use and they seem to last a long time.

So, your machine, your money, your decision!

Thank you for your honest opinion, I think you are right, I am normally such a stickler for maintenance I do not feel like I could ride it over the 600 miles with out constant worry lol I will continue to do the recommended oil changes and not worry.

Reactions: Tflynn
1rooster

1rooster

Jul 18, 2017
Fitzgerald Georgia
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thank you for your honest opinion, I think you are right, I am normally such a stickler for maintenance I do not feel like I could ride it over the 600 miles with out constant worry lol I will continue to do the recommended oil changes and not worry.

I am in the same boat as you. I rack up a lot of miles with very little hours. All my buggy is is a dirt road queen and has spent most of its life at 24 mph riding back roads. It has only seen mud once and that was just to test the capabilities. I just performed my 1800 miles oil change and decided to cut open my filter and examine it. My oil change had 614 miles on it and the oil still appeared to be very clean but I did find some metal particles trapped in the filter media. I will continue to service per mileage
IMG 8296
IMG 8297

Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sometimes I go a year with low mileage and low stress. Sometimes I beat the SXXX out of both me and the machine but I never go over the miles or time line for oil changes. It is cheap insurance. The generator in my toyhauler is another one. Gets a big workout on elk hunts and spring turkey but it always gets fresh oil and filter when required. Treat them right and they will give you good service.

Reactions: 1rooster
William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Checked the oil in mine today the way the manual said and it’s about an 1/8th of an inch over the full mark... Is that fine or do I need to drain a little?
@Hondasxs

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I drained a little... FYI when it’s an 1/8th inch over its about two ounces too much... not enough too hurt anything I don’t believe...

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I drained a little... FYI when it’s an 1/8th inch over its about two ounces too much... not enough too hurt anything I don’t believe...
Sorry I missed your question.
Ya, I might have drained a little also. Being right at the top mark seems to be prime level. These 700's seem to work best that way.
Here is a good read on "Too much oil". --> Side effects of too much oil?

Reactions: William
Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
If you put exactly the amount called for by the manual there is no need to drain and 1/8 inch over is not going to cause problems anyway. That much can even be caused by the o-ring being weak/crushed or screwed in too hard. Those dip sticks are not precision instruments.

Reactions: Mudwing
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I told myself not to say anything. But here I am venting. You guys will let me do that won't you?

Why 3.1 quarts? Why does my truck take 8.3 quarts?

Oil is bought by the quart or gallon.

geniuses

Lynn1130

Lynn1130

Jun 22, 2016
Phoenix, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-4
I know exactly what you mean. Why 6.5 quarts in my wife's Lexus. Can't the Japanese round the sump off? :)

I always use 3 qts and it comes out right on the dipstick full line so I don't think .1 quarts is going to make a diff.

Fastbuck101

Fastbuck101

Dec 8, 2018
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
good article, thanks. Just got a new 700, and I'm getting stuff on hand to do regular maintenance on it. A quick question, how do you reset the maintenance reminder?
Thanks!

Reactions: Tflynn
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A quick question, how do you reset the maintenance reminder?
Thanks!
I will ad this info into the document.

Resetting the indicator:
Key in off - press and hold the mode button and turn the ignition switch to the ON (I). Release the button. The indicator should light up and after 2 seconds flash twice. This indicates it is reset.

Reactions: Tflynn and swsebek
M

mole

Mar 3, 2016
Belle Vernon,Pa.
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
really informative & accurate info.many thanks for taking the time to help others.just knowing beforehand all the socket sizes will save crawling from under machine back & forth to work bench for right socket.being 67 my back & legs thank-you
I’m glad it was useful for you!

E

Elitebowman

Jan 3, 2019
New York
Ownership

1. 700-2
Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
F3F18DEB 82D2 4396 ABEF 07E20DD4959F
Very good explanation. Is this GN4- 4 stroke oil, is this a SAE 10W-30 Synthetic oil? How much is a good price for this oil? Can we use a replacement oil of same quality. I will have to order this oil, no place close to me to buy it. thanks for any help.
This is from the service manual. ;) As far as cost, it varies. I think I pay around five dollars a quart for GN4.

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Some people use Shell Rotella oil, reg dino or synthetic. I use to use Rotella in my Goldwing for thousands of miles and never a problem! I still have it but don't ride it much anymore but it has 104,000 miles on it! I plan to sell it in the spring though. I am using Honda in my 700 because I had bought it on sale a year or 2 ago and had a case of it. When I use it up I will switch to Rotella T6.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!