Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I just got my Talon 1000X three weeks ago and decided to go with the Warn Winch Bumper/Mount 104300 with the Axon 45.
I like the added protection it offers the front diff with the heavy duty skid pan.
What did you do, remove the stock bumper?

W

WideOpen201

Nov 20, 2019
Dequincy, LA
Ownership

1. Talon X
What did you do, remove the stock bumper?
Yes, you remove the little stock bumper and install the Warn unit. Only mod is that you have to cut about 3" off the bottom of the plastic nose piece that is screwed to the side of the stock bumper. You end up about an inch or so below the screw hole and it is used to attach each side of the nose piece to the Warn mount. Do not cut above those holes! If you ever went back to the original bumper, you would never notice the removed portion if you make a nice, clean cut.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yes, you remove the little stock bumper and install the Warn unit. Only mod is that you have to cut about 3" off the bottom of the plastic nose piece that is screwed to the side of the stock bumper. You end up about an inch or so below the screw hole and it is used to attach each side of the nose piece to the Warn mount. Do not cut above those holes! If you ever went back to the original bumper, you would never notice the removed portion if you make a nice, clean cut.
Nice. My next question, is any length added to the machine with that set up over the stock bumper?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It might add about 3 inches to the length.
That’s too bad. I really like what you have there, but my toy hauler has only two inches to spare front and back of the Talon as it is stock. Thank you.

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
I just got my Talon 1000X three weeks ago and decided to go with the Warn Winch Bumper/Mount 104300 with the Axon 45.
I like the added protection it offers the front diff with the heavy duty skid pan.
I just took delivery of the Warn winch mount bumper and of course it came with no instructions! Did you find instructions somewhere or just wing it and figure it out?

W

WideOpen201

Nov 20, 2019
Dequincy, LA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I just took delivery of the Warn winch mount bumper and of course it came with no instructions! Did you find instructions somewhere or just wing it and figure it out?

Mine came with instructions. I don't see any instructions on the Warn site.
It is not that hard to install.
Remove the small Honda bumper. You will reuse two screws from the plastic that is attached to it on each side.
Where the screws go through the plastic, make a horizontal cut about 1 inch below those holes. You are basically cutting the bottom 3 inches off those panels that drop down each side. (DO NOT CUT ABOVE the screw holes, you will use them!)
Now you mount the part of the bumper that has the shackle lugs and then the housing of the bumper over it.
Lastly, install the skid plate on the bottom.
That's what I can remember.

When you connect the main leads to the terminals on the winch, do not use the little boots! They will hold water and mud that will corrode your terminals. Get some liquid neoprene (marine grade Johnson/Evinrude brand is best) electrical coating, to seal and protect the screws and wire terminals. AKA, liquid tape if you don't want to order the J/E brand.
Bumper6

These are the plastic pieces that you will cut the bottom few inches off of.
Bumper1

This is what it looks like when cut. The bolts are reused to attach the plastic to the new Warn bumper.
Bumper3

Bumper4
Bumper5

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudwing
CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Could someone answer a winch ? for me ?

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
Mine came with instructions. I don't see any instructions on the Warn site.
It is not that hard to install.
Remove the small Honda bumper. You will reuse two screws from the plastic that is attached to it on each side.
Where the screws go through the plastic, make a horizontal cut about 1 inch below those holes. You are basically cutting the bottom 3 inches off those panels that drop down each side. (DO NOT CUT ABOVE the screw holes, you will use them!)
Now you mount the part of the bumper that has the shackle lugs and then the housing of the bumper over it.
Lastly, install the skid plate on the bottom.
That's what I can remember.

When you connect the main leads to the terminals on the winch, do not use the little boots! They will hold water and mud that will corrode your terminals. Get some liquid neoprene (marine grade Johnson/Evinrude brand is best) electrical coating, to seal and protect the screws and wire terminals. AKA, liquid tape if you don't want to order the J/E brand.
View attachment 181699
These are the plastic pieces that you will cut the bottom few inches off of.
View attachment 181700
This is what it looks like when cut. The bolts are reused to attach the plastic to the new Warn bumper.
View attachment 181701
View attachment 181702View attachment 181703
Thanks for the input! I basically winged it and then got ahold of Warn on Monday and they emailed me the instructions. Later when I was tearing down the shipping box I found the instructions under the bottom box flap. Had to go back in and change the winch mount bolts to the longer ones that came with the bumper, install the two large Teflon washers now that I could see where they were supposed to go, and change out the upper mount bolts to the shorter bolts that only grab one side of the factory mounts. Still don’t really understand why Warn wouldn’t design their upper mounting point to take advantage of both sides of the upper factory bracket. Seems like they missed an opportunity to add a bunch of Strength to the system... but who the heck am I? I asked the Warn tech support guy about it and he assured me the system had been tested thoroughly so I’ll take his word for it!

CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Axon 45RC installed today wont work

CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
its getting 12 volts at red and black on winch, 12 on red key on power

CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
its getting 12 volts at red and black on winch, 12 on red key on power no relays kicking out. Ive tried the switch and remote, then remote nothing

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
its getting 12 volts at red and black on winch, 12 on red key on power no relays kicking out. Ive tried the switch and remote, then remote nothing
Have you tried cycling the hub lock back and forth a couple times?

CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
yes, unspooled all cord then rotated drum to reengage 3 different times

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
yes, unspooled all cord then rotated drum to reengage 3 different times
Humm... I’d give Warn a call in the morning. You may have a defective unit. I’m sure you checked to make sure the switch lead is connected to the coupler coming out of the winch...right?

CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
yes, they are sending me a new one tomorrow. said it was motor issue thanks for the help

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!