Calendar HondaSXS Club Ride Pioneers on the Paiute Sep. 21st-24th 2018... [Sep 21, 2018] (Marysvale, UT)

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Just bumping this back up for newer members. So far have 24 people signed up to attend the ride. This is one of those places you want to go to at least once. Hope to see many more people sign up. I know it's a long drive from East coast but trust me its worth it. Just check out some of the many awesome pictures posted by @100Acre of his recent travels out west.

Go to first post in thread for sign up and information.

advertisement
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got good news!!!! I have started dating someone and she confirmed she is coming out with me!!!! So I will have another driver!!! @JACKAL, it simply looks amazing out there. Is diesel fuel more expensive out there? I was in your neck of the woods Monday
Now You'll have more room for you and your girl in your new P1000. Things are looking up!

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just bumping this back up for newer members. So far have 24 people signed up to attend the ride. This is one of those places you want to go to at least once. Hope to see many more people sign up. I know it's a long drive from East coast but trust me its worth it. Just check out some of the many awesome pictures posted by @100Acre of his recent travels out west.

Go to first post in thread for sign up and information.
Thanks @JAKAL for the kind mention.
NE Utah in Ashley NF just NW of the Uintas Mtn range within the boundaries of the Flaming Gorge NRA.
All excellent riding areas. Huge expanses!
IMG 1295
IMG 1307

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think and from past experiences that most everybody coming from the east will head on over to I-70 west, as it it a more direct route. I'll try to put together a list of places to check out and or camping along the way there. I can make the drive to Moab from western NC in three days. It's just me driving so I take my time. I also typically try to stay at various State Parks along the way because they always have hot showers, and RV hookups at reasonable pricing. Otherwise there are some nice, off the highway national forest camping areas not far off of I 70. I'll also include a couple of nice places to stop on I-40 west.

VenturaChuck

VenturaChuck

Apr 22, 2016
Ventura, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think and from past experiences that most everybody coming from the east will head on over to I-70 west, as it it a more direct route. I'll try to put together a list of places to check out and or camping along the way there. I can make the drive to Moab from western NC in three days. It's just me driving so I take my time. I also typically try to stay at various State Parks along the way because they always have hot showers, and RV hookups at reasonable pricing. Otherwise there are some nice, off the highway national forest camping areas not far off of I 70. I'll also include a couple of nice places to stop on I-40 west.
100Acre,

How about some nice spots to overnight along Northbound I-15 coming from So. Cal?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hey, I'm 6'9' and I fit in a P5. Kinda...
It's quite a site! He's cut holes in both front wheel wells and uses his feet for brakes by using his feet against the tires. HA!

Reactions: BWAF
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
100Acre,

How about some nice spots to overnight along Northbound I-15 coming from So. Cal?

There is lots of BLM land with dispersed camping in the western states.
On this side of the continental divide our best bet is finding a Walmart parking lot.
So finding a state or national park that is close to the interstate and not too popular (crowded) is a good thing.

Reactions: BWAF
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
100Acre,

In Arizona maybe 20 miles or so south of the Utah border is the Virgin River Canyon Rec area. I've driven through it and it looked nice but I had my eyes and reservation at Snow Canyon SP.
Recreation.gov recreation area details - Virgin River Canyon Recreation Management Area - Recreation.gov

In Utah just across the border with Arizona near St George is the small town of Ivins and a super sweet state park called Snow Canyon State Park.
Killer geologic formations, Nice hiking trails and a great little CG with widely separated campsites with showers and a spaceport. A John Wayne movie was filmed there. I'd also recommend getting reservations there as the CG filled pretty quick after I arrived.
Snow Canyon State Park | Utah State Parks
That time I was there, there was some major construction on the interstate and traffic was backed up for miles so I took a quick detour off of I-15 onto Old Highway 91 through the Joshua Tree National Natural Landmark.Which I believe is surrounded by BLM. it' was a very scenic drive up and over the Beaver Dam Mountains and the Shivwitts Indian Reservation. It proved to be a nice detour into the back of the State Parks without having to deal with congested traffic and St.George.

Almost dead west from Snow Canyon and not too far out of the way is Gunlock State Park on a reservoir with boat dock and CG. I've never been but I had it marked on the map as a backup.
Gunlock State Park | Utah State Parks

Further north on I-15 just east of Cedar City on HWY 14 is the Cedar Breaks NM. 14 is a super awesome scenic drive that gets up up in elevation 9000+' with great scenic shots after passing through some cool canyons. There are a number of Dixie National Forest CG's along it's route.
I've never been to the Cedar Breaks myself only because each time I went by there, they still had some deep snow issues. One might expect that at 10,000'. So, call ahead. I hear it's worth it.
Cedar Breaks National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

I'm sorry but, screw Zion NP unless you've never been there. A mad house of tourists unless you go in the off season but the only camping is in the south near Springdale. Some camping is 1st come, 1st serve but the rest is reservation through recreation.gov. Watchman CG in the park is full RV hookups. It helps if you're already in their system and be sure to ask for cancellations. There is a north entrance but you must go through the tunnel which has length width restrictions for larger busses and RV's. You have to pay an additional fee to pass through it but it is kinda cool. on the North side of the tunnel is the Zion NP overlook which is very spectacular especially in the winter with all the contrasting colors. There is a tiny parking lot though and easy to drive past with no way to turn around if pulling a trailer. If you do go to Zion NP, then to me the best hike is wading up the Virgin River Canyon. If you do, wear wet shoes and bringing your own hiking poles is a must! There are other things to do and see there but that's my personal favorite. You may get wet.
Zion National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

IMG 4759
IMG 4757
IMG 4758
IMG 4761

Last edited:
Reactions: BWAF and lee
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!