Calendar HondaSXS Club Ride Pioneers on the Paiute Sep. 21st-24th 2018... [Sep 21, 2018] (Marysvale, UT)

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not a big fan of the area between Cedar City and Ritchfield on I-15 so I usually take hwy 14 over to 12 north to the backside of Capitol Reef NP. Hwy 12 is through the Escalante' National Monument and gigantic sandstone bluffs and canyons. At one point you can get up as high as 12,000' if I recall correctly. I went through this past trip to beat an oncoming blizzard but this was last February. Tons of cool scenery and camping along hwy 12. Capitol Reef NP used to be 1st come 1st serve but have now moved to reservations only. This past Feb was totally empty. Great off roading just outside of the park in most directions but plenty you can do in an overland rig or sxs for fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: BWAF
VenturaChuck

VenturaChuck

Apr 22, 2016
Ventura, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In Arizona maybe 20 miles or so south of the Utah border is the Virgin River Canyon Rec area. I've driven through it and it looked nice but I had my eyes and reservation at Snow Canyon SP.
Recreation.gov recreation area details - Virgin River Canyon Recreation Management Area - Recreation.gov

In Utah just across the border with Arizona near St George is the small town of Ivins and a super sweet state park called Snow Canyon State Park.
Killer geologic formations, Nice hiking trails and a great little CG with widely separated campsites with showers and a spaceport. A John Wayne movie was filmed there. I'd also recommend getting reservations there as the CG filled pretty quick after I arrived.
Snow Canyon State Park | Utah State Parks
That time I was there, there was some major construction on the interstate and traffic was backed up for miles so I took a quick detour off of I-15 onto Old Highway 91 through the Joshua Tree National Natural Landmark.Which I believe is surrounded by BLM. it' was a very scenic drive up and over the Beaver Dam Mountains and the Shivwitts Indian Reservation. It proved to be a nice detour into the back of the State Parks without having to deal with congested traffic and St.George.

Almost dead west from Snow Canyon and not too far out of the way is Gunlock State Park on a reservoir with boat dock and CG. I've never been but I had it marked on the map as a backup.
Gunlock State Park | Utah State Parks

Further north on I-15 just east of Cedar City on HWY 14 is the Cedar Breaks NM. 14 is a super awesome scenic drive that gets up up in elevation 9000+' with great scenic shots after passing through some cool canyons. There are a number of Dixie National Forest CG's along it's route.
I've never been to the Cedar Breaks myself only because each time I went by there, they still had some deep snow issues. One might expect that at 10,000'. So, call ahead. I hear it's worth it.
Cedar Breaks National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)

I'm sorry but, screw Zion NP unless you've never been there. A mad house of tourists unless you go in the off season but the only camping is in the south near Springdale. Some camping is 1st come, 1st serve but the rest is reservation through recreation.gov. Watchman CG in the park is full RV hookups. It helps if you're already in their system and be sure to ask for cancellations. There is a north entrance but you must go through the tunnel which has length width restrictions for larger busses and RV's. You have to pay an additional fee to pass through it but it is kinda cool. on the North side of the tunnel is the Zion NP overlook which is very spectacular especially in the winter with all the contrasting colors. There is a tiny parking lot though and easy to drive past with no way to turn around if pulling a trailer. If you do go to Zion NP, then to me the best hike is wading up the Virgin River Canyon. If you do, wear wet shoes and bringing your own hiking poles is a must! There are other things to do and see there but that's my personal favorite. You may get wet.
Zion National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

View attachment 77128 View attachment 77129 View attachment 77130 View attachment 77131
Thanks for the info. I'm coming from San Buenaventura, CA so I was hoping there was something between Las Vegas and Mesquite. I'll probably grab a site in one of the RV parks in Mesquite.

Chuck

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the info. I'm coming from San Buenaventura, CA so I was hoping there was something between Las Vegas and Mesquite. I'll probably grab a site in one of the RV parks in Mesquite.

Chuck
Yeah, I'm not too familiar with Nevada other than having driven through Las Vegas last year and scoped out Lake Mead a year or two prior. It was pretty and there was camping areas there but it was way too early in the day to stop at that point. the time before, I followed the Northshore Dr 169 along the western side of the lake. It was very scenic and from what I've read the Valley of Fire State Park is worth seeing. Plus there's camping there. The park isn't far off of the interstate. Sorry I spaced that out.
Valley of Fire State Park | State Parks
You can also take Valley of Fire rd east from Crystal on I-15 to the park. This is between Las Vegas and Mesquite. I hope this helps.
IMG 4770
IMG 4771

Last edited:
VenturaChuck

VenturaChuck

Apr 22, 2016
Ventura, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, I'm not too familiar with Nevada other than having driven through Las Vegas last year and scoped out Lake Mead a year or two prior. It was pretty and there was camping areas there but it was way too early in the day to stop at that point. the time before, I followed the Northshore Dr 169 along the western side of the lake. It was very scenic and from what I've read the Valley of Fire State Park is worth seeing. Plus there's camping there. The park isn't far off of the interstate. Sorry I spaced that out.
Valley of Fire State Park | State Parks
You can also take Valley of Fire rd east from Crystal on I-15 to the park. This is between Las Vegas and Mesquite. I hope this helps.
View attachment 77340 View attachment 77341
Thanks for the info. September in the desert can be on the warm side, so I was looking for a site with electrical hookups in case the a/c is needed. Don't want to run the generator all night.

Reactions: 100Acre and lee
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the info. September in the desert can be on the warm side, so I was looking for a site with electrical hookups in case the a/c is needed. Don't want to run the generator all night.
Almost every State Park across the country has hot showers and RV hookups at a nominal fee. I stay at them often mainly for the showers/spaceport aspect...During the summer months I carry a window unit I install in the emergency window so those hookups are nice.Typically the average price is $23-27 per night.
Here are some pix I got of Lake Mead and the surrounding area.
Fullsizeoutput 4e5
Fullsizeoutput 502
Fullsizeoutput 4f6
Fullsizeoutput 4f4
Fullsizeoutput 4fc
Fullsizeoutput 4d6
Fullsizeoutput 4ea
Fullsizeoutput 503

Reactions: JCMINIS and BWAF
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For anyone coming across on I-40 here is one I stay at often.

Palo Duro Canyon State Park just 30 minutes south of Amarillo Tx. it's nice there and has full RV hook ups and showers with spaces large enough for class A motorhomes and each site has a fire ring and larger covered picnic tables. Beautiful canyons and scenery. Was $35 per night though. The road down into the park as I remember may have had a switchback or two so you may want to call ahead for vehicle length restrictions, if any.
Palo Duro Canyon State Park — Texas Parks & Wildlife Department

Another I have frequented off of I-40 is Bluewater State Park in New Mexico almost to the Arizona border.
Here are a few pix from there. Nice with showers rv sites etc. Pretty scenery, cool rocks and a few fossils an old Dam and supposedly great fishing.
Bluewater Lake State Park, New Mexico
IMG 3054
IMG 3055
IMG 3056
IMG 3058
IMG 3086
IMG 3087
IMG 3088

Last edited:
JCMINIS

JCMINIS

Dec 19, 2017
Canton nc
Ownership

1. 500
Almost every State Park across the country has hot showers and RV hookups at a nominal fee. I stay at them often mainly for the showers/spaceport aspect...During the summer months I carry a window unit I install in the emergency window so those hookups are nice.Typically the average price is $23-27 per night.

I do the same if possible when we dont take the hauler and take the tent.. Down side of a big rig that I didnt know was most of the state parks (on east coast anyways) have a max length of 32-35ft. However I just bought a 1 ton cargo van im going to convert into a camper then I can pull the pioneer in my race trailer behind the van.

Reactions: BWAF and 100Acre
advertisement
TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
This trip is getting expensive. I filled my old Chevy 2500 6.0 L up with gas the other day and checked the MPG. Came up about 10 MPG not pulling anything and I said to myself "this m*****f***** has got to go" :D These long distance riding trips are going to kill me in fuel cost driving this truck and I'm not pulling anything big anymore. So I bought a low miles 2016 Silverado 1500 double cab Z71 with a 5.3 L engine and 6 speed auto trans. Hopefully this truck won't be as thirsty as my old one and I can afford to do more trips.;)

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This trip is getting expensive. I filled my old Chevy 2500 6.0 L up with gas the other day and checked the MPG. Came up about 10 MPG not pulling anything and I said to myself "this m*****f***** has got to go" :D These long distance riding trips are going to kill me in fuel cost driving this truck and I'm not pulling anything big anymore. So I bought a low miles 2016 Silverado 1500 double cab Z71 with a 5.3 L engine and 6 speed auto trans. Hopefully this truck won't be as thirsty as my old one and I can afford to do more trips.;)
I took my truck camper off the other day and am getting Shizz mileage too. Add it all to the list. New toy hauler, New truck, New property in Idaho. I need to cut corners somewhere...

Reactions: JTW, BWAF and TimG
TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
I took my truck camper off the other day and am getting Shizz mileage too. Add it all to the list. New toy hauler, New truck, New property in Idaho. I need to cut corners somewhere...

yeah, I've tried cutting back but toys and traveling are pretty damn fun;) I've had everything from tents to motor homes each have their ups and downs. I recently sold my 5th wheel camper and boat. Ever washed that chit when it's 100 degrees out ? tired of taking care of that stuff. I still have a Rincon and a Rancher 400 AT, they're not to bad to wash:D When I bought the Pioneer I bought a 5.5' x 10' trailer the smallest possible to haul it on. That's down sizing right ?

VenturaChuck

VenturaChuck

Apr 22, 2016
Ventura, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I feel your pain!

I will be coming from So. Cal. driving my 36' Bounder towing a flat bed trailer with the Pioneer on it. The Bounder has the 8.1 l Workhorse and gets 5 mpg city/7mpg hwy.

Reactions: 100Acre and TimG
TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
I feel your pain!

I will be coming from So. Cal. driving my 36' Bounder towing a flat bed trailer with the Pioneer on it. The Bounder has the 8.1 l Workhorse and gets 5 mpg city/7mpg hwy.

I do miss my 34' m h but not filling it up $$$ on the down side I get to rent motels and cabins for two weeks $$$

Reactions: JCMINIS
JCMINIS

JCMINIS

Dec 19, 2017
Canton nc
Ownership

1. 500
I do miss my 34' m h but not filling it up $$$ on the down side I get to rent motels and cabins for two weeks $$$

My missies managed several different hotels for a living. She will NOT stay in a hotel, ever. No if's ands or buts. Aint happening. So we either take the hauler (63ft total length, 28k gvw)....horrible mileage or we take a tent for further away trips (like we are for this trip). Thats why I bought the extended cargo van to build out, I hope to have done before sept, but unlikely.. Bunch on you tube and the like. Might be an option. Not alot of space for sure, but im well over 6 ft and dont have an issue

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My missies managed several different hotels for a living. She will NOT stay in a hotel, ever. No if's ands or buts. Aint happening. So we either take the hauler (63ft total length, 28k gvw)....horrible mileage or we take a tent for further away trips (like we are for this trip). Thats why I bought the extended cargo van to build out, I hope to have done before sept, but unlikely.. Bunch on you tube and the like. Might be an option. Not alot of space for sure, but im well over 6 ft and dont have an issue
Got any pics of van

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

orangecrate

orangecrate

Lifetime Member
Dec 3, 2017
westernslope co.
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I know this doesn't have anything to do with anyone posts but I was wondering if we could have the list of everyone signed up for the ride - - know I registered but not sure if I submitted before I shut down , it's a b**** getting old.

Reactions: TimG and BWAF
TimG

TimG

OLD SKOOL
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 11, 2018
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon R LV
My missies managed several different hotels for a living. She will NOT stay in a hotel, ever. No if's ands or buts. Aint happening. So we either take the hauler (63ft total length, 28k gvw)....horrible mileage or we take a tent for further away trips (like we are for this trip). Thats why I bought the extended cargo van to build out, I hope to have done before sept, but unlikely.. Bunch on you tube and the like. Might be an option. Not alot of space for sure, but im well over 6 ft and dont have an issue[/QUOTE

Mama says No tents for us unless they have heat/AC, and full bath. We did our share of tent camping though and had a lot of fun.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!