BOX1

P500 Another Semi Epic Exploratory Journey into the Colorado Plateau.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In a few days time I'll be leaving El Rancho de Ashevillo to head west into the southwestern United States, namely New Mexico, Arizona, Utah and Colorado where I'll be meeting up with @WillyBill and tentatively @rocmar in the 4 Corners Region. If Rocmar can't make it due to the flu, Billiard and I will meet near the Mogollon(Muggy-Yawn)Rim in Arizona near Payson and the area made famous by the western author Zane Grey. there have also been fairly recent reports of Samsquinch sightings along the rim. That area is a truly magical place and I'm excited to be returning and this time in the "winter" I'd really like to see the southwest desert's rich colors contrasting with a winter's white snow. Eh, if I'm lucky I guess. The Mogollon Rim is an awesome place to ride and explore. There are places all over for dispersed camping and some right on the Cliffs edge in many places! With an average elevation of near 8,000' in many places, I'll expect it to be a little cooler at times, but I'll take that over the heat any day. Anyway as the trip progresses I, myself and @WillyBill and whomever cares to join us is welcome to post up the trip reports on this thread. Thanks Here's a few pix from there...
Stone Faced Samurai Sentinel Guarding the Sands of Time in Silence.

Fullsizeoutput 563 IMG 0039 Fullsizeoutput 577 Fullsizeoutput 576 IMG 3066

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
'bout time you waved goodbye to posted signs and retiree summer cabins and headed back out west.

I never got to ride the rim, though i did spend a few weekends over there. Ms Fitz cafe in Payson has some good food if you are in the area.

These guys ride the area alot if you need suggestions: www.wheresthenextadventure.com

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Have a great time and don't forget....... "WE NEED PICTURES!!!!"

Reactions: 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Almost there...gonna meet @WillyBill tomorrow in Winslow Az, then head down to the Mogollon Rim. So far a 9.5 hr drive followed by today’s 12 hr drive. Tomorrow only 7-8 hrs total. Yippee! I’m glad my dad is watching the farm so I can go and play!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Almost there...gonna meet @WillyBill tomorrow in Winslow Az, then head down to the Mogollon Rim. So far a 9.5 hr drive followed by today’s 12 hr drive. Tomorrow only 7-8 hrs total. Yippee! I’m glad my dad is watching the farm so I can go and play!
I saw where @WillyBill had ask a question on www.wheresthenextadventure.com, but it looks like my boys over there are dropping out of the hobby. Make sure you check out the trail library section and Maybe search for other boards, but at this point it's prob too late...
Used to be a site called Riding Arizona. WNA was a spin-off of RA when it closed down...but RA was huge and had a ton of trail reports and tracks. The owner tried to sell it, and when he didn't get his asking price, he chose to close it and take all that info down with it, rather than taking what he could get. Such a shame.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Safe trip!

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, @WillyBill and I met then rode down to the rim only to get snow, sleet and freezing rain. We tried to get access to the rim but the snow got too deep for our machines. Maybe with a lift, taller tires or rubber tracks we could’ve made it but we both have 25” tires so not much clearance. My under body armor seemed to help slide it along but it seemed more of a struggle. The winds were 54mph and when we left this morning it was 23* . We decided to head south and check out Tonto NF & Roosevelt lake and Dam but wildBill’s trailer was just too big for the narrow and winding road on the Apache Trail. It’s a shame because it’s very beautiful country along that drive. We then proceeded to make our way further south below the lake and we attempted to get to another area across the Salt River And into the backcountry north and east of Tonto Lake, But right as we were attempting to cross the bridge there was one of those old erector set type railroad bridges built in the 1930s and it only had a clearance of 12 feet and 3 inches so because Bill’s trailer sits at something like 13 or 14 feet he would’ve definitely lost something off the top. Unless we headed to another area up Pinal Creek where we are currently. We may try to do some riding in the morning but we’re way south of the area that I really want to be in which is more up in the four corners region and Utah. Otherwise I might head over for the day to go visit my aunt and uncle in Mesa Arizona. I really need to do some laundry get a shower and shave. I haven’t had a bath in over a week. Oh the joy. Here are a few pictures of the damn the bridge next to the damn and something else. LOL There weren’t any really good opportunities to take any pictures of where we were riding when it was snowing but I will continue to post more soon.

E7C14DCD E068 427D BD33 A146D33ABBF8 97486584 0171 479C 9A80 DF85984C0B7C E221B2DC F097 4C8E 8968 C4142E11CC60 2B65881E 84D3 4719 9F5D 1ADBB2ACFE0D 5B337B61 F30C 4076 A9B5 BE5329FE9230

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well, @WillyBill and I met then rode down to the rim only to get snow, sleet and freezing rain. We tried to get access to the rim but the snow got too deep for our machines. Maybe with a lift, taller tires or rubber tracks we could’ve made it but we both have 25” tires so not much clearance. My under body armor seemed to help slide it along but it seemed more of a struggle. The winds were 54mph and when we left this morning it was 23* . We decided to head south and check out Tonto NF & Roosevelt lake and Dam but wildBill’s trailer was just too big for the narrow and winding road on the Apache Trail. It’s a shame because it’s very beautiful country along that drive. We then proceeded to make our way further south below the lake and we attempted to get to another area across the Salt River And into the backcountry north and east of Tonto Lake, But right as we were attempting to cross the bridge there was one of those old erector set type railroad bridges built in the 1930s and it only had a clearance of 12 feet and 3 inches so because Bill’s trailer sits at something like 13 or 14 feet he would’ve definitely lost something off the top. Unless we headed to another area up Pinal Creek where we are currently. We may try to do some riding in the morning but we’re way south of the area that I really want to be in which is more up in the four corners region and Utah. Otherwise I might head over for the day to go visit my aunt and uncle in Mesa Arizona. I really need to do some laundry get a shower and shave. I haven’t had a bath in over a week. Oh the joy. Here are a few pictures of the damn the bridge next to the damn and something else. LOL There weren’t any really good opportunities to take any pictures of where we were riding when it was snowing but I will continue to post more soon.

View attachment 65755 View attachment 65756 View attachment 65757 View attachment 65758 View attachment 65759
Sounds like fun!

E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Good stuff!

Reactions: BWAF
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
What did you expect from AZ but snow/sleet/freezing rain:p?

I'm sure you've spent enough time in the area to know that snow usually goes relatively quickly, but most of the areas i think you want to ride (ie-4 corners) probably got the same mess.

If your going to ride "in the valley", this is THE time of year to do it. Have you ever ridden in Wickenburg? Turn at McDonalds on Constellation rd and head back until you find a camping spot, unload, and then go. Lots of mining ruins, and you can go until you run out of gas, basically. Some of the trails get very rough, but nothing comes close to anything super extreme...but mostly typical desert 2 track/old mining/dry wash roads*.
(* you know that monsoon rains change the trails yearly...sometimes radically, so what was mild 2 years ago may be impassable now).

What about the rare-in-AZ 50" trails?
Head back to the Chino Valley/Williamson Valley/Camp wood area and some of my old stomping grounds for Sheridan mtn/Smiths mesa trails. I posted a map if you're interested. This area is back up in the high country, but typically gets less precipitation than the rim area (though understandably, from 2000 miles away, I can't guarantee anything). You'll be near historic Yolo Ranch and not real far from the mysterious and Historic Baca Float #5. The road to Camp wood is wide gravel and well maintained...though it can get sloppy in winter.

If your familiar with the AZ, you'll know that "trail system" is misleading in this case, since it is surrounded by 8 million miles of FS roads/trails that aren't grouped into a "system". Like Wickenburg, you could ride for a month and only scratch it. And you'll be 2 hours back towards 4 corners when you decide to leave for there.

I'm sorry you're having trouble (and @WillyBill, sorry www.wheresthenextadventure.com wasn't more help), but as the saying goes, its the journey, not the destination...

I'm also sorry i didn't get out of my little spec of AZ more to give you guys advice on the other areas.

...AND, I'm most sorry I'm not there to show you some of my favorite haunts. You can't imagine how sorry i am for that...but anyway, good luck and keep us posted!

Attachments

• OHV_Map_2008_Sheridan.pdf
    563.2 KB · Views: 134
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!