P1000 Hot smell

G

G1Eagle

Feb 10, 2019
Gardendale, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey, I have a 2018 1000-5 with about 30 miles and 8 hours on it. I noticed on my first ride a smell that smelled like hot brake pads. No other issues just the smell. I kind of forgot about it until today when I started it up in my garage to let it run a little while and I got the hot brake pad smell again. I never moved it. I manipulated the gears a couple times and ran the rpms up a couple times while in park but never drove it anywhere. Any ideas? Any reason for concern?

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
G

G1Eagle

Feb 10, 2019
Gardendale, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the replies. I’ve had other rides that had a smell as they were broke in. This one threw me off because it smells just like overheated brake pads. Good to know it’s normal.

B

BBLASER

Nov 11, 2018
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My Pioneer 1000-5 had some left over grease/oil on the muffler. I removed the plastic cover and metal heat shield and cleaned the heck out of it. The problem went away. Seemed to me that there was an excess amount of oil on it from the factory.

Reactions: sharp and G1Eagle
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll offer an additional thought: I had this issue about 600 miles in. Come to find out it was a mouse nest lodged under my seat and on the motor. You could get to it from the engine oil check access.

You may throw your hand up there (when the motor is cold of course) and make sure you don't have any extra passengers bumming rides o_O

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!