P1000 Overheating Hot Topic! - Issues, Problems, Solutions and more problems.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Parents just had this happen for the first time on their 1000-5. They had to sit and wait a while for it to cool down. Only then did they both realize they hadn’t heard the fan come on in quite a while. The thing is he had a computer update for it about 6 months ago so not sure the update really fixes it? His is is either a 2018 or 2019. We always wait for the pump to turn off in between starting it so I really hope Honda’s fix still isn’t a quick turn if the key..
My 2018 overheated because of the fan issue at around 1200 miles and maybe 6 months old. I started turning the key straight to start for the next 2.5 years with 8000 miles in that same time frame and its never happened again and I've had zero issue doing so. That's not a honda fix, it's just a solution I read on here and it works good enough until I have to take my machine to a dealer.

Reactions: Lady01 and trazerr
T

trazerr

Jul 12, 2019
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2018 overheated because of the fan issue at around 1200 miles and maybe 6 months old. I started turning the key straight to start for the next 2.5 years with 8000 miles in that same time frame and its never happened again and I've had zero issue doing so. That's not a honda fix, it's just a solution I read on here and it works good enough until I have to take my machine to a dealer.
Good to know, thanks! My dad is going to take his in soon just to see if there is another update or not. He ALWAYS lets it sit after turning the key one click until the fuel pump stops making noise. Just like letting the glow plugs warm up on his diesel before starting it. I told him he may have to just turn the key quickly on for days that will be hot. Kind of annoying, but if that allows the fan to work properly then it is what it is. I am not sure how many miles are on his, but its got some. He mainly only rides in the summer heat so odd that it takes a while before it decides to "glitch".

I am not sure when he will be able to get his into the dealer, but I will update once he does.

Reactions: Lady01 and TripleB
T

trazerr

Jul 12, 2019
Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pops was able to get his 1000 to the dealer last Monday. They told them that there was another update and they loaded it. Not sure if that is true or not, but I guess we will find out in time. Supposed to be record heat (115+) here where we are so I doubt he will be riding it for a while. Would be perfect to test it in though!

Seadonist

Seadonist

Feb 8, 2021
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is computer glitch that causes the fan to not run. Sometime in 2019 they came out with a fix by reflashing the computer. My 2018 did it 1 time. From what I have read, when you turn your key, go straight to start and it won't happen. I've done that religiously the last 2 years and it's never happened again. I've yet to get the reflash. My buddy has a 2018 and I told him Multiple times how to start it. I watched him start it 1 day on a ride, he turned the key, paused and then started. I never said a word because I was tired of sounding like his daddy. Went down the trail a few miles and as soon as we turned up big hill, it overheated and puked coolant everywhere lol. I've also read when you turn the key to the on position and let it cycle through whatever it does and then start it up, it will prevent this also but I can't confirm that because I just keep doing what I know works for sure.

I’ve got a ‘21 so I don’t know if they have implemented a “fix” or not but I always turn the key to the “on” position and let the computer cycle through the diagnostics before starting the engine and I’ve never had a problem with the fan not coming on when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’ve got a ‘21 so I don’t know if they have implemented a “fix” or not but I always turn the key to the “on” position and let the computer cycle through the diagnostics before starting the engine and I’ve never had a problem with the fan not coming on when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Anything late 2019 and later, it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: TimG and Lady01
Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So the whole overheating thing seems to be a hot topic with the Pioneer 1000 models.
I put together a quick guide based on what I have seen. (ignoring what may be flakey).

Is something broken?
Let’s face it when a P1k overheats everyone jumps to conclusions about the items below. If there is something out of order your SxS will overheat. The fan is controlled by a black box under the driver's seat. The computer controls this box based on several unknown things.
  • Is the box plugged in correctly? Several have reported it was not at assembly.
  • If you extended the vent line on the radiator fan it could cause the motor to overheat and stop working.
  • If you used a bellows to vent the fan all sorts of bad things could have happened as other users have mentioned the cause pressure to build up and push out seals.
  • Coincidentally, if you didn’t vent the radiator fan you could have mud in fan motor or a blocked breather tube (did you read the manual? Don’t drive in water over 10" deep).
Symptoms: it’s likely the fan will come on but the temperature will continue to rise.
  • Something blocking the radiator, Usually mud.
  • When cleaning shine a light from the back side, looking from the front you can see if the passages are clean. The fins can look clean but mud could still be blocking between them.
  • Do you have a large bumper? (compensating for something?) This might restrict airflow!
  • Aftermarket lights, winches, and other objects could also block the airflow.
Symptoms: temperature will continue to rise only under high load conditions. Insufficient cooling capacity
  • Some people are saying the cooling system is undersized.
  • As the temperature rises to 3 bars or more, slow down or stop, leaving the engine running, this will allow the cooling system to catch up.
  • High altitude, like above 6,000 feet or more.
  • Long continuous pull – EX. uphill on a forest service road in Utah.
Link referencing insufficient capacity: Overheating issues.

Symptoms: the temperature will continue to rise and the fan doesn’t come on, nothing will make the fan come on until the computer is reset.

• Computer glitch
  • Some dealers are saying there is a computer glitch that controls the fan.
  • Turn the key all the way off, then turn it back on.
  • Basically, you are resetting the computer.
Link for computer glitch: P1000 - Engine cooling fan problem

Other symptoms:

• The fan may cycle on and off or if the temperature sensor is in the air pocket the gauge will not register hot and the fan will not cycle but the overflow bottle will be boiling furiously.
  • The temperature will continue to rise even with the fan on.
  • Sometimes it will seem just fine, only acting up under high load conditions.
Air trapped in the system
  • For some reason, there seems to be a lot of units with air trapped in the system from the factory, and it seems to be getting worse, not better.
  • If you have an air pocket the cooling system will have reduced efficacy as the boiling point is lower.
  • The air pocket will allow the coolant to expand and act like the pressure system is not working.
  • Sometimes it boils over a few moments after you come to a stop.
Burping
  • There are several threads discussing how to ‘burp’ the system.
  • Most methods involve raising the front end up, be careful you don’t drop the vehicle on yourself.
  • Some methods have you running the engine while the front end is lifted, don’t lift the nose and uncover the oil pickup – watch the oil light for any signs of trouble.
  • For the ‘burp' method to work the thermostat must open to allow coolant to circulate and the air bubble to be expelled.
  • It’s probably better to start with a hot system, it takes less time for the thermostat to open.
  • You can feel the lower hose to see when the thermostat opens, the hose will get hot when the thermostat is opened.
Link for burping procedure: Overheating issues.
I was just poking around on the site and came across this post. It's great. Thinking it would be a good one to repost.

Reactions: Smitty335
G

Gooseit69

May 12, 2022
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine is still in the shop 2018. After almost 2 weeks they finally got back to me after calling the general manager. They said they talked to Honda and Honda said this was normal and that you would have to pull over and let it cool down ridiculous! We were always brought up that if your engine starts to overheat pull over and turn the heater on which there is no heater on the pioneer but leave the engine running till it cools down to keep the fan on. In the Honda manual they want you to turn the engine off! I can't believe this spend all this money on this damn machine.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine is still in the shop 2018. After almost 2 weeks they finally got back to me after calling the general manager. They said they talked to Honda and Honda said this was normal and that you would have to pull over and let it cool down ridiculous! We were always brought up that if your engine starts to overheat pull over and turn the heater on which there is no heater on the pioneer but leave the engine running till it cools down to keep the fan on. In the Honda manual they want you to turn the engine off! I can't believe this spend all this money on this damn machine.
I feel your frustration bro, but the machine design is fine. You simply have something wrong with yours. A better mechanic could diagnose/fix it in 5 minutes. Did you burp the system at the bleed screw at the top of the thermostat housing? That's the surest way to get all the air out of the system. You'll get it sorted out, hang in there!

Reactions: JenElio
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@TripleB You still having good luck doing this when you start it? Yesterday mine overheated for the first time in 2 years since I've had it. Was driving less than 10mph for about 15 minutes when it happened. I always turn the key to on position and let the fuel pump and dash cycle before starting

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@TripleB You still having good luck doing this when you start it? Yesterday mine overheated for the first time in 2 years since I've had it. Was driving less than 10mph for about 15 minutes when it happened. I always turn the key to on position and let the fuel pump and dash cycle before starting
Never had it happen again since late 2018.

H

HondaTech

I'm still doing refreshes for the fan update.

If I had an older model in the shop I could swap out your pcm and flash it then send it back. But guaranteeing one to be here is difficult.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm still doing refreshes for the fan update.

If I had an older model in the shop I could swap out your pcm and flash it then send it back. But guaranteeing one to be here is difficult.
Should any honda dealer be able to do this?

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Never had it happen again since late 2018.
I keep forgetting that I've had a talon ECU in my 5 seater for the last 2 years. My 3 seat has never had the fan issue and it's been drove alot in the last 2 years while my 5 seat has had alot of repairs in that same time period. 3 seater has over 5k miles on it now and I've always went straight to start since owning it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!