P1000 Hours/miles when new

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey fellas. So I bright home my new Pioneer 1000-5 last week and I just need some confirmation from other buyers. I was told I was buying a brand new, from the warehouse, not test drive or demoed unit.

The Pioneer had 0.5 hours and 1 mile on it when they cranked it up and pulled it out for me. Is this normal? The salesman on the phone said it would read 0.0 when I got it, but I know they have to fire these things at the factory, test, etc.

Do y'all remember what kind of numbers yours had on it when purchased? The dealer didn't wipe it down very well (nice way of saying at all) either, and I've noticed it's got some grease/scratches here and there. Now, it's sitting under garage lights, I'm a perfectionist and I know that's part of red plastics, but again just curious what everyone else's experience was. I'm sure my scratches and dirt will make it all blend a little better after this weekend

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: JTW and BWAF
BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey fellas. So I bright home my new Pioneer 1000-5 last week and I just need some confirmation from other buyers. I was told I was buying a brand new, from the warehouse, not test drive or demoed unit.

The Pioneer had 0.5 hours and 1 mile on it when they cranked it up and pulled it out for me. Is this normal? The salesman on the phone said it would read 0.0 when I got it, but I know they have to fire these things at the factory, test, etc.

Do y'all remember what kind of numbers yours had on it when purchased? The dealer didn't wipe it down very well (nice way of saying at all) either, and I've noticed it's got some grease/scratches here and there. Now, it's sitting under garage lights, I'm a perfectionist and I know that's part of red plastics, but again just curious what everyone else's experience was. I'm sure my scratches and dirt will make it all blend a little better after this weekend

Thanks in advance!
I bought my 16 in March of 17 from a dealer that doesn't have a test drive lot and it had about the same on it I think

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Reactions: dnjones161
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Thanks in advance!
I'm sure it's been moved around the lot a few times. You have nothing to worry about.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: BWAF
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Pretty normal. Just moving it around the lot to change up the display would add some time and miles.

dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I figured some time had to be on them from the factory. They told me my unit had never been on the floor though.

Locohonda

Locohonda

Nov 6, 2017
Northern Va
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The dealer didn't wipe it down very well (nice way of saying at all) either, and I've noticed it's got some grease/scratches here and there. Now, it's sitting under garage lights, I'm a perfectionist and I know that's part of red plastics, but again just curious what everyone else's experience was. I'm sure my scratches and dirt will make it all blend a little better after this weekend

Cosmetic defeats are not covered under the Honda Pioneer warranty.... period.

If you are looking for some relief (not saying you are) don’t expect it from Honda.

Reactions: dnjones161 and BWAF
YardDog

YardDog

Grumpy ol' fart
Lifetime Member
Feb 2, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I shopped around and looked at several dealers. I've seen anywhere from five miles to 30+ on the clock and they still want full price. I may have paid more than I should have, but my rig was on the showroom floor with .3 miles on it. I figured that was worth a couple bucks.

Reactions: dnjones161 and BWAF
dnjones161

dnjones161

May 30, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Okay, so basically it likely wasn't fresh off the crate as advertised, but it is certainly within the standard of "new". Still had nipples on the entire tire, so I don't think anyone was doing burnouts, but I still like the idea of the 0.0 read when there's that much money being shelled out. Of course I know this is super OCD for a machine I'm going to fly through the woods with, but that's how I am.

Loco- I tell ya what, the more I look the more I find! I'd say my main complaint is that the powder coating in the room cage is kinda spotty. It just seems like it wasn't real clean when they did it, and as a result there are like lumps under it in various places. Again, not the end of the world but I'm going to be displeased if spots pop up in a year and it's not covered.

The good news is it's just as peppy as I had hoped. Really love the paddle shift over the old RZR and I'm pleasantly surprised with the turning reason on this thing. Should be very nimble on the trails!

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Okay, so basically it likely wasn't fresh off the crate as advertised, but it is certainly within the standard of "new". Still had nipples on the entire tire, so I don't think anyone was doing burnouts, but I still like the idea of the 0.0 read when there's that much money being shelled out. Of course I know this is super OCD for a machine I'm going to fly through the woods with, but that's how I am.

Loco- I tell ya what, the more I look the more I find! I'd say my main complaint is that the powder coating in the room cage is kinda spotty. It just seems like it wasn't real clean when they did it, and as a result there are like lumps under it in various places. Again, not the end of the world but I'm going to be displeased if spots pop up in a year and it's not covered.

The good news is it's just as peppy as I had hoped. Really love the paddle shift over the old RZR and I'm pleasantly surprised with the turning reason on this thing. Should be very nimble on the trails!
I'm not sure what you're after. Having 1 mile on it is probably as good as it gets. Had the odometer truly been 0.0 and an issue arose would you be on here saying "I can't believe the dealer didn't at least drive it around the lot first to make sure all is well".?.
You bought a new machine not one shined up for an outdoor show. Mine was told to be new and I drove 3 hours to find out it had 10 miles on it. I bought it anyway but it would've been good to know. Mine wasn't all shined up and the toe was terribly wrong from set up. I think these type of things come down to dealer customer service. Some go the extra mile but a lot of them don't. I guess that's the world we're living in these days.

Good news is you bought a great machine that will last you many years to come. Dont sweat the small stuff. Welcome to the club, you'll find a wealth of great information here.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

advertisement
E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine had 20 miles on it. Dealer moved it in and outside for months before I bought it at a good discount.. ($13K) 2017 P3-1000. It had and has more Nevada racing stripes, (horizontal scratches), and before long will match my truck! Don't worry about it.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Mine had to be assembled, came back after luch to pick it up. 0 miles. Don’t worry, the first scratches are the worst, but one trail ride and battle scars appear. Enjoy.

Reactions: BWAF and dnjones161
SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I was neglectful and didn't look at the hours. When I got home, I looked and it had 81 miles on it, I was more than pissed. The dealers took it back and supposedly did the first initial service after I complained. When it came back, it had less miles on it than it did when I bought it.....their explanation was: I didn't know how to read the odometer. That's funny, I was able to read it when I saw it had 81 miles and 16 hours on it and they agreed to do an initial service on it for free....

The place was worse than a buy here pay here used car lot. Too bad the next nearest dealer only has one Pioneer in the crate and this place was farther than that! Sad thing is, it's the second Pioneer I've bought from them.

T

TomB985

Dec 27, 2014
I was neglectful and didn't look at the hours. When I got home, I looked and it had 81 miles on it, I was more than pissed. The dealers took it back and supposedly did the first initial service after I complained. When it came back, it had less miles on it than it did when I bought it.....their explanation was: I didn't know how to read the odometer. That's funny, I was able to read it when I saw it had 81 miles and 16 hours on it and they agreed to do an initial service on it for free....

It almost sounds like you may have been reading the maintenance countdown rather than the miles travelled. Just a hunch, but with 19 miles on the odometer you'd see 81 to the first service.

H

Honda_chris

Aug 25, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Mine had 4 miles on it. When I bought mine it was in the crate. The dealer put some miles on it to make sure all cables and everything was adjusted and working properly wich I thought was a good part on the dealer.

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It almost sounds like you may have been reading the maintenance countdown rather than the miles travelled. Just a hunch, but with 19 miles on the odometer you'd see 81 to the first service.
No, this is my second P1000 and I know the difference plus, they said it was driven a lot at the dealership. I'm sure it was taken out by one of the managers and beaten to death in River Ranch, the store GM said he often takes demo's out there, I'm positive this was one of them. The tires showed wear as well.

See, this was a point of contention for me. When I walked in to the dealer, I stated I wanted a 2018 P1000 5 LE. They had a 3 seater on the floor but I was in luck, the truck had just dropped off a 5 seater the day before! So, I looked at it (outside) and noticed the tires had a lot of wear, no dimples left, they pawned it off as normal, I was more interested in seeing the new up grades the 2018's had on them plus, I F'ed up, I trusted a used car type dealer!

Fast forward to getting home that evening (hour trip away from the dealer) and noticing it had 81 miles and 16 hours on the odometer! I called the next day and the guy that answered said the unit had been there for 76 days....not just in from the day before on the truck....and, the miles came from riding it back and forth to the warehouse each day. The warehouse is about 50 yards from the front of the store. He also was quick to say I didn't understand how to read the odometer even though my readings off my 2016 P 1000 were accurate when they were appraising my trade in; he then went on to say that it was hours that were more important than the miles, I then asked if I could quote him to Honda and then have them change the owners manual to state that new revelation. After a few more calls of me complaining about needing a 100 mile service in a day of ownership, they gave in and said they would do the first service free that same day as I was planning on a big ride the following day. Now again, I was neglectful and didn't check the miles and hours when I picked it up, I was more concerned with checking the marks I put on the drain plugs and filler caps to make sure they actually did the service, to think the Odometer was altered. One of my complaints was that the contract stated 7 miles on the odometer.

After calling up after my big riding trip informing them of the 'new' different lower than before miles, they claimed I didn't know how to read the odometer (again) and that it would be illegal for them to change the mileage. I then said why in the world would you have agreed to do an almost $400 first service for free then? Nothing.... I'm still contemplating what, if anything to do about it.

Reactions: BWAF and JTW
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No, this is my second P1000 and I know the difference plus, they said it was driven a lot at the dealership. I'm sure it was taken out by one of the managers and beaten to death in River Ranch, the store GM said he often takes demo's out there, I'm positive this was one of them. The tires showed wear as well.

See, this was a point of contention for me. When I walked in to the dealer, I stated I wanted a 2018 P1000 5 LE. They had a 3 seater on the floor but I was in luck, the truck had just dropped off a 5 seater the day before! So, I looked at it (outside) and noticed the tires had a lot of wear, no dimples left, they pawned it off as normal, I was more interested in seeing the new up grades the 2018's had on them plus, I F'ed up, I trusted a used car type dealer!

Fast forward to getting home that evening (hour trip away from the dealer) and noticing it had 81 miles and 16 hours on the odometer! I called the next day and the guy that answered said the unit had been there for 76 days....not just in from the day before on the truck....and, the miles came from riding it back and forth to the warehouse each day. The warehouse is about 50 yards from the front of the store. He also was quick to say I didn't understand how to read the odometer even though my readings off my 2016 P 1000 were accurate when they were appraising my trade in; he then went on to say that it was hours that were more important than the miles, I then asked if I could quote him to Honda and then have them change the owners manual to state that new revelation. After a few more calls of me complaining about needing a 100 mile service in a day of ownership, they gave in and said they would do the first service free that same day as I was planning on a big ride the following day. Now again, I was neglectful and didn't check the miles and hours when I picked it up, I was more concerned with checking the marks I put on the drain plugs and filler caps to make sure they actually did the service, to think the Odometer was altered. One of my complaints was that the contract stated 7 miles on the odometer.

After calling up after my big riding trip informing them of the 'new' different lower than before miles, they claimed I didn't know how to read the odometer (again) and that it would be illegal for them to change the mileage. I then said why in the world would you have agreed to do an almost $400 first service for free then? Nothing.... I'm still contemplating what, if anything to do about it.

At this point BBB and a lawyer.

T

TomB985

Dec 27, 2014
Very interesting John, thanks for the clarification.

I think the Better Business Bureau is a good start, but I don't think you'd get anywhere on the legal end. Cars can legally be sold as new regardless of miles unless they've been previously titled...I imagine most states have similar laws for UTVs. I wouldn't be happy about it either, but I don't think there's a perfect resolution here. Now that you've purchased it, they can no longer sell it as new, which means they'd take a huge loss taking it back from you. Might be worth squeezing them a bit more, perhaps over some accessories or something. But beyond that I think you're stuck.

In the long run I don't think it'll matter, though. These things seem to be tough as nails, so I wouldn't expect issues from an unknown first 84 miles unless it was submerged, which would be clearly evident.

Buford

Buford

May 9, 2016
U.S.A.
Mine had 4 miles on it. When I bought mine it was in the crate. The dealer put some miles on it to make sure all cables and everything was adjusted and working properly wich I thought was a good part on the dealer.

They don't come in a crate, they are "drive offs" , meaning they are driven off the delivery truck, needing some minor assembly.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!