P1000 How fast do you ride your P1k on roads with stock tires

Samowam

Samowam

Feb 15, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Oh stocks I've been matted just fine otherwise I'm doing the speed limit if not 5 over. I have 30" interco sniper 920s on my p1k-3 and have passed people on the highway with them on there. I also put balance beads in.

Lady01

Lady01

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2019
Midland Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hello, I'm just wondering what you consider is a safe speed to drive your Honda Pioneer 1000 on the road with stock tires. And if you have changed tires have you found a good Tire that can be used on road and off road? Thanks in advance
hey,,, this is a fun thread!

2019 P1K-3 by myself on pavement (shoreline drive/US-23 in Alcona County Mich.) 66mph, but it is a bit squirelly. On pavement with stock tires 35/40 still felt good.

Now, with my new tires/wheel combo (28.5 Maxxis Carnivores on 15" 5+2 Method 10 matte black wheels) I can still get about 64 or so and the foot print feels solid!

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine will run 68 or so, flat out and in a straight line. I have a '16 1000-5 with a tune, and the RPM limit is raised slightly. HOWEVER, I rarely push it that hard. Usually 45-50 when "Fast cruising" and I avoid pavement whenever possible as the BIGHORNS wear fast on pavement, by nature of their design and construction.

dougclind

dougclind

Jul 6, 2018
Roan Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anything much over 40 and I feel like I have very little control so I keep it under 40 on the pavement. I've got the stock tires on my P1K5 LE. Those knobby tires have very little grip on pavement and you feel like you're floating instead of driving. That may be ok on a straightaway but not in curves. I bought my Pioneer to get around on my property, not to go out on the road so I just kept the stock tires. They're really good on the old logging roads and the pastures so I wouldn't trade them for road tires or some kind of combination road/off-road tread.

For me, I'd be irresponsible to take it past a speed where I didn't feel in control in an emergency so I stay at a very pedestrian 35 when I have to go down the road. But it's only 1/2 mile from my house to the other entrance to the property so that's as far as I'll take it on pavement, when I have to. I live in the mountains of East Tennessee and there's very little traffic on the road but it's a curvy road with steep drop offs on the sides so I want to KNOW I can stay on the road if a deer jumps out in front of me and I have to brake or swerve. If it's a rabbit, well tough luck Bugs. If it's a coyote I'll try to steer TOWARDS it. A bear ... well I'll hit the brakes and maybe back up if she has cubs with her. The Pioneer only has plastic doors you know.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is informative. I mentioned elsewhere that I was driving a lifted, souped up newer Ranger 1000 a few weeks ago and blew the rear belt trying to hold 55 on a highway. My 2015 Teryx 4 felt fine at 50, but if you pushed it to 53 the governor would kick in and drop you back to 49. Then you could rev up to 53, and it would drop you back. There's no question that the machine was capable of more than the governor would allow.
With stock Bighorns on my 2021 Pioneer 1K5LE it felt fine cruising up to 60 on straight pavement. Getting it to 66 had me rocking in the seat pulling on the wheel to edge higher.
My machine is street legal and I don't spend too much time on the faster paved highways. I just want to be able to loop back to my trailer on the highways. Frankly, 60 mph works fine.

Saw WendyP's post below and thought I'd add this edit: In the six years I had my Teryx4, I had to replace the front tires because I'd gone everywhere in 4x4. The rear tires were fine, but I'd chewed up the fronts. They were Bighorns. Pavement will eat the stock fronts, especially in 4x4.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rick53 and Lady01
advertisement
W

WendyP

Jul 14, 2021
Turlock
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We hit 40, with 3 adults and a dog. Stock tires, turf mode. It was screaming, but safe. The black top really eats the stock tires and turf mode helped. I wouldn't do it often though...just needed to get to the trail head.

dougclind

dougclind

Jul 6, 2018
Roan Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking at some of the other replies, I think it comes down to the situation. Reading between the lines, everyone recognizes that the stock tires are not safe at higher speeds on curves. Duhhh! Tire manufacturers spend all sorts of time optimizing race tires for grip on curves. These stock tires are NOT optimized for grip on pavement and curves. They're designed for off-road mud and dirt.

Anyone can push the pedal to the floor and make the machine go faster. And if the visibility is good, no curves, no trees next to the road to hide animals or kids, the Pioneer would have no reason to wander around even at top speed if you just hold the wheel steady. So if you're on open country, straight road, you can be fairly safe at 60+. But if there's any emergency situation I think any side by side will go out of control at higher speeds if you try to make emergency maneuvers on pavement with knobby, off-road tires. I have to say, I haven't tried pushing it so that's strictly my opinion, for what it's worth. I've been driving for over 50 years, first on motorcycles and well over a million miles on 4 wheels. I've driven a lot on snow and ice with both 2 and 4 wheels and the Pioneer, over 40 mph on a curvy road, reminds me of the feel of driving on icy roads. Makes me nervous.

Gobbyh1

Gobbyh1

Dec 3, 2017
Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello, I'm just wondering what you consider is a safe speed to drive your Honda Pioneer 1000 on the road with stock tires. And if you have changed tires have you found a good Tire that can be used on road and off road? Thanks in advance
I just drive around 35 or slower . I get to see more stuff that you will miss if you go real fast . Sure the bikes will do it , but also no air bags if you hit something like a deer late in the evening . The frame is hard and doesn’t give on impact. Be safe . I hope this helps

dougclind

dougclind

Jul 6, 2018
Roan Mountain, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It could be that I'm just over cautious. But the only way to really find out is to push it past the limit. Since my roads are narrow and the drop offs are steep ... I'm happy to keep it in the "green" zone with the stock tires. For me, that's below 40 mph on my curvy mountain road.

When I was in naval aviation they had a saying to drum into the heads of the newbies:
There are old pilots.
And there are bold pilots.
But there aren't any OLD bold pilots.

I just don't want to bung up my pretty Pioneer. Besides, I'd never hear the end of it from my wife!

Remington

Remington

Fife! POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Whats the matter @Rick53 you don't like going fast? Vroom Vroom!!! Lol. Cant dislike something without explanation?
In the words of sleepy joe..”C’mon Man!“ 😂 🥳
EC7A2257 DA55 4506 9DFC DD8B1C1F4682

W

Waccamaw

Nov 8, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I ran mongrel on my last machine, good tire for road and offroad. They are a soft/medium tire.
Only got 800 miles out of them.
I put tusk terrabite on my new machine and have 2500 miles on them now and looks like they will make it another 2500.
The tusk run smooth at 70, but my nerves don't.
Mileage may very

J

Jade

Nov 10, 2018
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got close to 3k miles on my P1000 but the vast majority was off roading, some on road with turf mode on. All this with stock tires, I plan on looking into some different tires that could work better on and off hybrids. I've seen some at some of the Jamborees but not sure what they are called. Current tires still got decent life in them.

Reactions: Lady01
G

Graybeard

Jan 30, 2021
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don’t worry about how fast you can go. Focus on how comfortable you feel traveling at the speed you choose. Have you practiced any low speed panic maneuvers to get a feel for how your machine handles in such situations? Whatever speed you decide on, keep in mind what you will do if something unexpectedly crosses your path. Just because a machine can travel at certain speeds, doesn’t mean it ought. Practice driving for the conditions present and you’ll likely be fine.

Regarding tires, I replaced the OEM Bighorns with Spartan run flats and am very pleased with their performance. I have had nothing but positive results with them, though they are not designed for on road use. I have a high level of confidence in them and generally feel no need to carry a spare.

I’ve found that the items that try to “do it all,” from multifunction printers to tires, will rarely perform at an optimal level as compared to something designed for a singular purpose. From my experience, nearly anything designed for multi purpose applications will very likely have aome inherent limitations. That doesn’t mean that multi purpose tires are necessarily a bad idea, I would just keep in mind you will most likely not experience the same performance you would see in a tire designed for a specific purpose.
Cheers!

advertisement