P1000 how to use stock lights (stock headlight switch) to turn on plate lamp and lighted switches without cutting factory wiring

R

RogerD

May 6, 2018
Hurricane wv
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am looking for a harness or connectors to make a harness that will allow me to power up my license plate light and my lighted switches when the headlight switch is turned on. I would rather not cut into factory wiring. I would like a sub harness that is similar to the one in the honda sxs store that allows the high beam to trigger aux lighting or a place to source the connectors to make a harness. Any help or helpful thoughts would be appreciated.

thank you in advance.

Reactions: CID and Isaiah
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am looking for a harness or connectors to make a harness that will allow me to power up my license plate light and my lighted switches when the headlight switch is turned on. I would rather not cut into factory wiring. I would like a sub harness that is similar to the one in the honda sxs store that allows the high beam to trigger aux lighting or a place to source the connectors to make a harness. Any help or helpful thoughts would be appreciated.

thank you in advance.
Did you look at this harness?
It will supply power as soon as your ignition switch is turned on.
I understand wanting to use the headlight switch. @Hondasxs might be willing to make a one off if you ask nicely.
I would be careful about using the headlight switch though. I don't know how much load that circuit can take without an additional relay.

Reactions: Mudwing and Isaiah
AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There are options for the license plate light. My kit was an XTC kit designed for a razor that works on the pioneer. The sales tech when I bought the machine recommended it. But it would be easier and cheaper to just go with a simple lighted plate holder and tap into the rear light harness. Get used to cutting into wires, drilling into metal and plastic, and cutting holes on these things if you are going to upgrade with non-OEM equipment.

As far as lighted switches, mine are lighted at power on. You don't notice the switches are lighted until it gets dark. But.....you could run all the switch light grounds to a relay connected to a headlight wire for activation.

Reactions: Isaiah
H

HondaTech

Hacking into stock wiring sucks, but is sometimes the only way to achieve the desired results.

If possible I always splice into the switch side of the plug or device so that the main harness is undisturbed.

The light switches shouldn't be difficult, and the license plate light could be run off the reverse alarm wire in the rear of the machine, one of the two wires there is powered key on, the other is grounded when in reverse.

Reactions: RogerD and Isaiah
R

RogerD

May 6, 2018
Hurricane wv
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did you look at this harness?
It will supply power as soon as your ignition switch is turned on.
I understand wanting to use the headlight switch. @Hondasxs might be willing to make a one off if you ask nicely.
I would be careful about using the headlight switch though. I don't know how much load that circuit can take without an additional relay.
Thank you. I have that already. I just don’t want my plate light to be on during daytime driving.

Reactions: russknight
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
@Hondasxs might fab one up for you. I hear he is a pretty sharp dude. ;)

R

RogerD

May 6, 2018
Hurricane wv
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya. As long as its not a LE.
But my schedule is kinda of tight currently.
It is a deluxe. I didn’t realize there wud be a difference. That is interesting.
If I could find the connectors, pins and I could Probably make The sub harness

advertisement
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
LE uses a rocker switch vs a dial.
LE Switch controls HIGH and LOW only. Tail is out of the fuse box for some reason.
The Deluxe with the turn knob controls High/Low/and TailLights.
Below is the connector you need. The brown wire is your target.

russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
LE uses a rocker switch vs a dial.
LE Switch controls HIGH and LOW only. Tail is out of the fuse box for some reason.
The Deluxe with the turn knob controls High/Low/and TailLights.
Below is the connector you need. The brown wire is your target.

He will need a double crimp tool such as this also.

R

RogerD

May 6, 2018
Hurricane wv
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you guys this is most helpful. I just didn’t like the idea of my switch lights or my plate light being on during the day with just using the key on power or trusting I wud remember to cut it off during the day.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I purchased 3 led lights and rocker panel switches
It looks like the lights pull 11.25 amps. It doesn't look as thought the pre made wire harness will work. Is there a way I can still someone turn them off with the ignition?

Thanks in advance..
Use the premade harness above to control a relay that feeds power to a secondary fuse block. Honda has not provided any additional circuits, they will provide you with a $300 accessory harness that will connect the honda factory accessories but you have to hack it up to make it work with aftermarket.

Your best solution is to make your own or buy one from @Hondasxs if you aren't using factory accessories.

Reactions: Isaiah and TripleB
AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I purchased 3 led lights and rocker panel switches
It looks like the lights pull 11.25 amps. It doesn't look as thought the pre made wire harness will work. Is there a way I can still someone turn them off with the ignition?

Thanks in advance..
The 180W lightbar plus two 60W cubes is 300W / 12V = 25 amps. The harness should work fine. What makes you think it won't do? Connect the relay to an ignition source and the lights will only work when the key is ON. Connect the relay to a headlight wire and the lights will only work when your headlights are on. Connect the relay to the battery and they will always work when switched on.

H

hartleyjohn73

Oct 5, 2020
Lincoln, mi
Ownership

1. 700-4
The 180W lightbar plus two 60W cubes is 300W / 12V = 25 amps. The harness should work fine. What makes you think it won't do? Connect the relay to an ignition source and the lights will only work when the key is ON. Connect the relay to a headlight wire and the lights will only work when your headlights are on. Connect the relay to the battery and they will always work when switched on.
I didn't think it would work, because in the description is says
Max Amps
- Pioneer models

Recommend no more than 8 amps max load. This circuit belongs to the 15a ACC fuse circuit and is split between the accessory (cig) plug and the backup alarm/light port.

AZRocks

AZRocks

Lifetime Member
Feb 17, 2019
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I didn't think it would work, because in the description is says
Max Amps
- Pioneer models

Recommend no more than 8 amps max load. This circuit belongs to the 15a ACC fuse circuit and is split between the accessory (cig) plug and the backup alarm/light port.
Ah! Not an issue. You would wire the 25 amps of lights directly to the battery. The relay would connect to the 15a ACC circuit (any ignition ON source), but a relay only draws about a .25 amps to close the relay and let juice from the battery flow to the lights. The relay pictured is rated for 40 amps draw. You may consider picking up a second harness/switch if you want to run the pod lights separately.

Reactions: Lady01
B

Brut

Nov 8, 2021
Rising sun
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm basically trying to do the same thing. I want to use a factory headlight switch to control my light bar witch has high/low beam and get the switch to illuminate when the key is turned on just like the factory installed one. I'm just not sure what wire does what

Reactions: Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!