Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Over the years I’ve noticed that they flock towards a Pioneer, they will come from miles away even if eating from berry bushes. Especially if the Pioneer 1000 is at a slow rate of speed, stopped for a bathroom break or turned off while sleeping.
Apparently certain plastics in the Honda have been found to have a distinct smell that resembles dying salmon. Hunters lay the plastics around as bait even. Bear researchers now use either Pioneers on thier endeavors or pieces of plastic from them strapped to the machine to attract the grizzly so they can research and document the great beasts of the Pacific NorthWest.
Good thing I’m taking my Polaris Ranger on the MC trip....;)

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Redmoon

Redmoon

Feb 21, 2019
Prescott Az.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Could you be specific on the location of this Griz country???
Anywhere North of central Idaho and Northeast Washington can be Griz country. Wolves and cats can present another possible health risk in these areas. If you are camping and not familiar with how to set up a bear proof camp do some research before you go so that you can reduce the chance of having unwanted dinner guests. And hang your plastics far from camp in a tree at night, Pro Tip!

Reactions: JTW
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Anywhere North of central Idaho and Northeast Washington can be Griz country. Wolves and cats can present another possible health risk in these areas. If you are camping and not familiar with how to set up a bear proof camp do some research before you go so that you can reduce the chance of having unwanted dinner guests. And hang your plastics far from camp in a tree at night, Pro Tip!
Thanks, I do that when backpacking in black bear country. Grizzlies are a whole other deal. I’ll give them lead poisoning if they get too close. ;)

G

graybear

Nov 20, 2013
East Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I go to a few areas that are just outside of Yellowstone in the Island Park area. We have had a cabin there for 49 years and a lot has changed. Black bears were always around but now the grizzly bear is expanding its territory. The best gun is one you are comfortable with and know how to use.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I go to a few areas that are just outside of Yellowstone in the Island Park area. We have had a cabin there for 49 years and a lot has changed. Black bears were always around but now the grizzly bear is expanding its territory. The best gun is one you are comfortable with and know how to use.
Met an elk guide in Cody who said he’d take the Bear spray to a gun.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Met an elk guide in Cody who said he’d take the Bear spray to a gun.
All bs aside a bear can be very hard to kill. Even if shot right by a decent caliber they still live awhile and are usually more aggressive. Most of that area is small bear that will run from people, even the large ones tend to really avoid people. Be as load as possible and never corner one especially with a cub. Never had any bear issues in all our times camping. f*** bears, watch out for the moose.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
All bs aside a bear can be very hard to kill. Even if shot right by a decent caliber they still live awhile and are usually more aggressive. Most of that area is small bear that will run from people, even the large ones tend to really avoid people. Be as load as possible and never corner one especially with a cub. Never had any bear issues in all our times camping. f*** bears, watch out for the moose.
Agreed about moose, though most of the trail is high country, ridges etc, not the typical spot for moose. Probably two legged animals are more of a problem lol.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Agreed about moose, though most of the trail is high country, ridges etc, not the typical spot for moose. Probably two legged animals are more of a problem lol.
And drop much easier if there’s a problem:cool:

Flouncehunter

Flouncehunter

Jul 11, 2019
The Louse
Well OP, how’d it go? Gosh, it’s been almost a week; y’all must have got some good huckleberries by now! Gee Mister, I sure hope I didn’t trigger you with that “I’m your huckleberry” remark, I’s just a big Doc Holliday fan, is all! :cool:

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Well OP, how’d it go? Gosh, it’s been almost a week; y’all must have got some good huckleberries by now! Gee Mister, I sure hope I didn’t trigger you with that “I’m your huckleberry” remark, I’s just a big Doc Holliday fan, is all! :cool:
I picked and ate huckleberries on the Magruder Corridor, had never had them before, they were great...:cool:

Diverguy

Diverguy

Oct 8, 2018
PA, USA
Ownership

1. 700-4
What’s the best handgun for bear country?
No Grizzlies here in PA, but we have some huge black bears, and they love huckleberries! I've been charged twice, and have numerous close encounters. I have a Raging Bull .454 Casul that will put one hell of a hole in anything!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!