I’m on a roll!

PapaC

PapaC

Dec 12, 2021
W. Wa
Ownership

1. Talon X
Look what the big brown truck brought me today! System 3 SS360 sand/snow tires. 😀

We retired last June, but my wonderful wife has a one day a week job and volunteered to pay for sand tires, and wheels! Last week she told me to order the tires, and should have enough for the wheels in about a month.

@PaulF, these have a similar inner lip surface as the Megabites that you indicated you couldn’t get to work on bead locks (See pic below). I hope these do better as it’s my plan to get STI HD9 bead locks for them. Anyone had these on bead locks?

4A87DDE9 DDBE 4A48 ACE5 E69CB8BBB784
4A836E35 895B 49A4 8EC6 1F751A2739B4
A41E6D27 A86B 4C34 96FC 41A6BA24162E

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Look what the big brown truck brought me today! System 3 SS360 sand/snow tires. 😀

We retired last June, but my wonderful wife has a one day a week job and volunteered to pay for sand tires, and wheels! Last week she told me to order the tires, and should have enough for the wheels in about a month.

@PaulF, these have a similar inner lip surface as the Megabites that you indicated you couldn’t get to work on bead locks (See pic below). I hope these do better as it’s my plan to get STI HD9 bead locks for them. Anyone had these on bead locks?

View attachment 313206View attachment 313207View attachment 313208
Nice!

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R

STI Tire on STI Beadlocks damn well better seal. I think the most critical item is the thickness and rigidity of the bead. What is the thickness of those beads?

PapaC

PapaC

Dec 12, 2021
W. Wa
Ownership

1. Talon X
STI Tire on STI Beadlocks damn well better seal. I think the most critical item is the thickness and rigidity of the bead. What is the thickness of those beads?
The tires are System 3’s Paul, and the bead averages .433, or 11mm. A bit thinner than the Megabites. The HD9s better work, cause the wife has the wheels picked out and I don’t relish risking her wrath by telling her they won’t work. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Biteme
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
The tires are System 3’s Paul, and the bead averages .433, or 11mm. A bit thinner than the Megabites. The HD9s better work, cause the wife has the wheels picked out and I don’t relish risking her wrath by telling her they won’t work. ;)
Sorry, I missed that. 11mm will probably leak because the STI HD9 (and System 3) rims have a 10mm gap and you really need at least 20% squash and you will only have 10%.

Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
PaulF is right on regarding the thickness and rigidity of the bead. The tire compounding and makeup of the sidewall (gap and squash) also play a role. I went with Method and Tensor, not just for the tires, but I don't mind paying a little extra for the technical support. It may take a few days, but the Method/Tensor technicians are very good regarding customer email questions on wheels, tires, size , offset, compounding, beads including bead grip and bead locks. So it not just the inital sale but also whom do I ask when I have a question. PaulF is a great source becase he has first had experience on what does and does not work on our machines. Hope this helps. I just don't understand why we have made tire/wheels so complicated.

PapaC

PapaC

Dec 12, 2021
W. Wa
Ownership

1. Talon X
Sorry, I missed that. 11mm will probably leak because the STI HD9 (and System 3) rims have a 10mm gap and you really need at least 20% squash and you will only have 10%.
Thanks. i may have to re-think this, we’ll see. My plan is to put the 28x10x14 on 5+2 for the front, and the 28x12x14 on 4+4 on the back. No spacers. Do you see any issues with that?

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks. i may have to re-think this, we’ll see. My plan is to put the 28x10x14 on 5+2 for the front, and the 28x12x14 on 4+4 on the back. No spacers. Do you see any issues with that?
I run the exact same wheels but with 30" Skat Trak tires in the sand. That wheel offset works excellent for the sand.

Reactions: Biteme and PapaC
PapaC

PapaC

Dec 12, 2021
W. Wa
Ownership

1. Talon X
I run the exact same wheels but with 30" Skat Trak tires in the sand. That wheel offset works excellent for the sand.
Yes, I got the set up idea from one of your previous posts. What brand wheels do you run? I’m not seeing a lot in the sizes I need. I want to run 14x8 in the back, and 14x7 in the front.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes, I got the set up idea from one of your previous posts. What brand wheels do you run? I’m not seeing a lot in the sizes I need. I want to run 14x8 in the back, and 14x7 in the front.
HD9's. The 14X8 only come in Matte Black or Black/Machined.

PapaC

PapaC

Dec 12, 2021
W. Wa
Ownership

1. Talon X
Frustrating. I’m just sitting around surfing the webs toady because I’m under the weather. I’m looking at wheels, and I’m just getting nowhere. If I find the right size/bolt pattern, it doesn’t have the offsets I want. If I find the offsets I want, the sizes aren’t right. That’s on the non-bead locks. I did read that some manufacturers have thin bead rings for their beadlock wheels.

I reached out to STI for all the info they can give me, but haven’t heard back.

I did find this- Beadlocks and Tire Bead Thickness

Check out his pictures in the thread. He machined his rings down, and it worked. My SIL has a small mill in his garage and I may go ahead with the HD9s and if it comes to that well, it’s an option.

The tires I bought are 28” and it’s possible the larger diameter tires have a thicker bead. I say that because I find pictures and YouTube videos all over of the SS360s on beadlock wheels. There are also sites that sell them as wheel/tire packages. I know that doesn’t mean anything. :rolleyes:

Okay, I’ll quit rambling. I’ve got a few weeks to figure it out.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ba079d91bde475c1892f716d89e19a26
A864bf24386786079579387981be3e81
Here’s mine on race line wheels, got them fall of 2020, ram them ten or so times between the snow and down in Oregon, they are sitting Aires up still on the original air, 7 psi in the front and 9 in the back

Reactions: Biteme and PapaC
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
View attachment 313590
View attachment 313591
Here’s mine on race line wheels, got them fall of 2020, ram them ten or so times between the snow and down in Oregon, they are sitting Aires up still on the original air, 7 psi in the front and 9 in the back
View attachment 313590
View attachment 313591
I've got the almost same wheels with some ITP Terra Hooks mounted, I had always heard about bead lock rim leaks, my story is the same as yours.

PapaC

PapaC

Dec 12, 2021
W. Wa
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thanks guys. I’m on the fence with the beadlocks, leaning toward non BL. So I have a….

Question; Does anyone see a problem with a 28x12x14 tire on a 14x7 wheel? They would be on the rear. We‘re talkin in the sand probably 9psi.

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You want beadlocks in the sand, or you have leaking beads constantly, or if your cornering hard you’ll blow the bead off

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
You want beadlocks in the sand, or you have leaking beads constantly, or if your cornering hard you’ll blow the bead off
That is a myth. 50% of my time is spent at the dunes and most of us (around 10 machines) do not have beadlocks. Most run DWT's and they are superior in all ways for the sand. We all run around 6-8 PSI and never leak or lose a bead. On machine #2, I have a set on Skats on DWT's that I sometimes run as low as 5 PSI depending on conditions and not one issue with them.

Personally, I will never run beadlocks again for paddle tires. They are heavy and leak. As soon as I can locate some DWT's, I will change them on machine #1 and toss the beadlocks.

Crawling is an entirely different story.

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!