P1000 I-4WD issues

TexasHeat

TexasHeat

Jan 28, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Howdy All! My first major issue on my 2018 1000-5 LE. Not sure if anyone is able to help out with this:
I went Hunting week before Last in normal operating conditions down in the hill country, actually probably never went over 15 mph. Weather was awesome, Dry conditions, no dogging the machine.
Everything worked like a charm, after loading up on Sunday in the enclosed trailer, I typically use the winch as a safety backup tie off with just a bit of tension, I turned the key on and spooled it out and hooked to the tie down eye in center. Of course I was busy with other things also and forgot to turn the key off. A few days later when I had time I was going to start it up and u load but battery was dead. I put the charger on it overnight and started it up next morning. As I drove across the yard to shop I noticed front wheels pulling the steering hard to the left. I stopped and then noticed the I-4WD light on. I shifted to turf but light continued to stay on, the pulling on front end stopped so apparently 4WD disengaged. I pulled the cables from battery thinking it might reset the issue but no luck. Checked all grounds I could think of and lights, fuses, wiring etc.
does anyone have any info or had this issue before. Any Ideas before I bring it in to shop and get hash tagged by Honda..?
Thanks in advance!

Reactions: sharp and Plumber32
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So the pulling stopped but the I4wd light is still on? It make take a few key cycles to reset im not sure. Make a few more little rides with it and see where you're at. All the pioneers are touchy with the cable adjustment and dash light. Odds are mechanically everything is still working fine. May need to do something to get the light back on the right track but I'd give it a little time to sort itself out.

Reactions: sharp
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have an 18LE to work on this weekend with the i4WD light on. I will take some pictures of how to get the dash codes to show and try to upload at some point this weekend. The manual states very specific instruction on checking and clearing the codes for the i4WD computer.

TexasHeat

TexasHeat

Jan 28, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks neohio, much appreciated. yes i did leave the key on. are we able to read and download the codes? are you using a specific code reader for that? if so let me know what you are using or how you are able to read and clear. i appreciate any input!

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is not an I4wd issue.
Its an operator induced dead battery issue
It is pretty well known these side by sides require a good maintained electrical system.

Mine is connected to a battery tender when parked, maintaining both batteries and everything works fine.

Also as said, drive cable adjustment is very sensitive to changing the modes indicated on the dash. I fiddled with mine a few times before I got all modes to display correctly. You tube video helped.

Jim

Last edited:
TexasHeat

TexasHeat

Jan 28, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is not an I4wd issue.
Its an operator induced dead battery issue
It is pretty well known these side by sides require a good maintained electrical system.

Mine is in a battery tender, maintaining both batteries and everything works fine.

Jim
That s correct Jim! i am the operator and i induced the battery issue. i have a perfectly normal reason for the error. its called Halfheimers, at my age i sometimes "forget a step or two", i take full responsibility!
However i am looking for solutions as i had already stated the key was left on unintentionally. if you can help with that i would much appreciate your Knowledge.

Reactions: dnjones161 and TimG
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That s correct Jim! i am the operator and i induced the battery issue. i have a perfectly normal reason for the error. its called Halfheimers, at my age i sometimes "forget a step or two", i take full responsibility!
However i am looking for solutions as i had already stated the key was left on unintentionally. if you can help with that i would much appreciate your Knowledge.

Texas,
I have not had mine long enough to know how to reset the ecm. Other Honda street bikes I've owned had a procedure where the battery ground is disconnected and key switch is cycled, then reconnect the battery.
My 13 Goldwing resets the ecu-ecm by starting and letting it idle(no throttle action), until the radiator fans cycle on and off, then turn key off.
I'll do some research.
Sorry for the un intended jab.

Last edited:
TexasHeat

TexasHeat

Jan 28, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tie a string around your penis and attach it to the key! After the next time, you’ll never get out and forget to shut off the key again!
Tie a string around your penis and attach it to the key! After the next time, you’ll never get out and forget to shut off the key again!
Yea, i will pass on your comments, i am looking for serious answers. i find it odd that "Gods Favorite member?" is commenting in such a manner.

TexasHeat

TexasHeat

Jan 28, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Texas,
I have not had mine long enough to know how to reset the ecm. Other Honda street bikes I've owned had a procedure where the battery ground is disconnected and key switch is cycled, then reconnect the battery.
My 13 Goldwing resets the ecu-ecm by starting and letting it idle(no throttle action), until the radiator fans cycle on and off, then turn key off.
I'll do some research.
Sorry for the un intended jab.
thank you Dirt stiffs. no worries on the comment, apology accepted!

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Texas Heat,
Just asking -
Have you shifted back to turf mode and run around making a few turns and backing up in reverse a couple times?
Mine takes this once in a while to change the differential and dash indicator.

Reactions: JTW
Shooter63

Shooter63

Shooter 63
Lifetime Member
Jan 10, 2019
Longview
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yea, i will pass on your comments, i am looking for serious answers. i find it odd that "Gods Favorite member?" is commenting in such a manner.
Welcome to the group TexasHeat I see you are new member and haven’t realized yet or been told yet that JTW is the groups #1 asshole. I hear he is a decent guy but you can’t take anything he says seriously. It’s all in fun with him so don’t be offended by his remarks. You will get your issues resolved with the help of the good people on here.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks neohio, much appreciated. yes i did leave the key on. are we able to read and download the codes? are you using a specific code reader for that? if so let me know what you are using or how you are able to read and clear. i appreciate any input!
No specific code reader.
I'll snap some pictures while I am working on it this weekend.

Reactions: Jim0311
riverratcadillac

riverratcadillac

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2017
lafollette tn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the group TexasHeat I see you are new member and haven’t realized yet or been told yet that JTW is the groups #1 asshole. I hear he is a decent guy but you can’t take anything he says seriously. It’s all in fun with him so don’t be offended by his remarks. You will get your issues resolved with the help of the good people on here.
@JTW is a hell of a guy and is the best penis profiler in the club how can you be the head dick if you havent met them all

TexasHeat

TexasHeat

Jan 28, 2018
Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Texas Heat,
Just asking -
Have you shifted back to turf mode and run around making a few turns and backing up in reverse a couple times?
Mine takes this once in a while to change the differential and dash indicator.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!